Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 4th, 2009 00:00

Installing Vista SP2 error: One or more system components that the service pack requires are missing

Hello,

Hope someone can offer some advice besides clean install.

Everything is prepared for this last step if need be but, would like to explore any alternatives first. 

When I try to install SP2 I get this message "Service pack installation cannot continue - One or more system components that the service pack requires are missing"

My computer is a Dell Studio 1737 laptop came with Vista Premium 64bit OS. Recieved it 3 months ago.

Last week I got a blue screen while making a rescue disk (I know, it's ironic), computer was slow so I tried to do system restore. It would not work(I actually installed SP2 at this time, no problems). Searched for solution, only thing I could find was to re-install OS, repair (upgrade) mode.

Found some info on VLite (didn't know it wasn't accepted by MS). Did the repair install with VLite, added updates and drivers, only took out some of the large language files. Loaded and ran fine, ran all of windows updates. When I tried to install SP2 I got the "Service pack installation cannot continue - One or more system components that the service pack requires are missing". Searched for solutions, found the MS 'this may be due to VLite installation' only resolution is to re-install with OEM disk.

So that's what I did, re-installed (Repair - Upgrade), again. Loaded and ran fine, ran all of windows updates. When I tried to install SP2 I got the "Service pack installation cannot continue - One or more system components that the service pack requires are missing" - AGAIN.

I have:

-tried multiple times

-uninstalled VLite(of coarse)

-Disabled ant-virus, Norton 360

-Downloaded the standalone KB948465-X64

-ensured KB955430, and all updates were installed

-Ran 'reset windows update components'

-Re-installed 'Windows updater'

-Searched MS forum and website for help, can't find anything on the 'missing components' message

-Ran 'System readiness tool' KB947821

=================================

Checking System Update Readiness.

Binary Version 6.0.6001.22375

Package Version 5.0

2009-06-02 23:00

Checking Deployment Packages

Checking Package Manifests and catalogs.

Checking package watchlist.

Checking component watchlist.

Checking packages.

Checking component store

Summary:

Seconds executed: 1815

No errors detected

Still won't install.

Can anyone give a suggestion or somewhere to look for this problem. I have searched the MS site but, haven't found any details on this error message.

Other than this issue the computer is running great.

Thanks for any help,

Regards,

Dave

170 Posts

June 4th, 2009 02:00

Update,

Just got a reply from MS.

"Go to regedit and delete:   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\vLite " then "Install SP2"

Success, SP2 installed.

MS does not like VLite. If you have it on your computer you will need to 'uninstall VLite' then go to regedit and delete the above key, delete the entire folder.

If SP2 see's this in your registry then it will not install.

"Service pack installation cannot continue - One or more system components that the service pack requires are missing"

Translation: "We do not like what we see on your computer"

If anybody has used Vlite to slipstream a Vista installation and can't get SP2 to install, uninstall VLite and use regedit to remove the VLite Hkey solution and let us know if you can then install SP2. It might not be neccessary to re-repair (upgrade mode) from the OEM disk.

Good luck with your SP2 install,

Dave

3 Posts

August 17th, 2010 14:00

I can't find V/Lite. I've tried installing Vista SP2 for the past month and have followed advice from a number of forums. When I go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE tIhen I am given options including SOFTWARE. When I click on SOFTWARE a long list of various software companies installed is given. Where would VLite be? I've looked but can't find it. Perhaps it is gone already?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

August 17th, 2010 18:00

Comedyfarm,

You posted in a thread that's more than a year old!

Do you even know that v/lite has anything to do with your problem? Have you tried Microsoft's FREE support for security updates? I've used their support twice for update problems and it was excellent.  You can either do live phone call or email.

Ron

170 Posts

December 7th, 2010 01:00

You're Welcome,

Glad it helped you, I spent a couple weeks searching and finally went directly to MS to get that solution, it wasn't easy to get it from them either.

No Events found!