Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2016 14:00

Reinstall Windows 7 after hard drive crash

I have a Dell All in one which is 4+ years old.  Obviously out of warranty.  I use it very seldom, but  had a hard drive crash.  I have a new hard drive but now cannot find a way to download the operating system.  I'm told by both Dell and Microsoft that the system is too old for them to offer downloads! That's crazy. My computer is like new and I have others so I'm not interested in buying another computer now.

Does anyone have any suggestions how or where I can find a copy of Windows 7 to download without having to buy one?  I do have a product key, but I don't remember ever getting a cd with the computer (I might have, but can't find one and don't remember one) .

I would really appreciate any help with this.

Thanks,

Adriana

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 12th, 2016 14:00

Is this an XPS 2710 or another model? You can download Windows 7 SP1 from Microsoft but it requires a series of workarounds. You can also download Windows 10 RS1 from Microsoft and clean install with your Windows 7 OEM Key. Most systems sold with Windows  run Windows 10 absolutely fine. The XPS 2710 however is a bit of an exception with many experiencing problems after upgrading...

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/ 

1 Message

August 15th, 2016 22:00

Hi, I wonder where I can find those workarounds and where I can get my product key. My system is working fine but I need a larger hard drive. I also want a backup disc so I won't be stranded later.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 16th, 2016 16:00

No Events found!