Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 17th, 2010 16:00

how to obtain original bios 4600?

my 4600 XP loads in normal hangs in safe mode at mup.sys.   have reset nvram, and reinstalled bios (A12).  I have reset or replaced drivers.  I Updated the a08 bios with the a12 sometime ago and don't recall having to use sage mode since.  Had a virus problem an now need safe mode.  Was thinking that i could reload the ao8 bios.  a08 isn't listed anywhere for the 4600, but i can find it for the 4550.  Is this the same bios?  Am i barking up the wrong tree with replacing Bios?  Can i take the battery out and see if that resets it maybe? 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 17th, 2010 19:00

I did a google search for "mup.sys" and there are a lot of fixes for this.  Do a google search and look over the various fixes.  I don't think it's a BIOS problem.

2 Posts

May 23rd, 2010 00:00

thanks for the post.  ya. i looked at mup.sys and several other searches.  There isn't much that i could find where safe mode hangs and normal mode is ok.  But i think you are right - it isn't the bios.  It was probably the trojan/virus that caused the problem.  Anyway, i tried the repair option on the installation cd, and after that it wouldn't boot in the normal mode and the safe mode.  I tried the recovery council without any luck, so i ended up having to reformat and reinstall.  They are getting really vicious with the malware.  It got through all my protection,it reinstalls after erasing in normal mode, you cant get into safe mode, and if you try to repair you cant boot at all.

thanks again tho.

No Events found!