Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 25th, 2014 11:00

update for windows update doesn't work

Yesterday (06/24/2014) Microsoft issued an update for windows update, which they said was required in order to receive new updates. It installed without any problems,except it doesn't work.

I tried the fixit tool but that doesn't find any errors. To make matters worse, it appears that windows update installed a different version of the update agent than is appropriate for my system (Windows 7 Home Premium). Windows support websie for this update says the correct version is Windows update agent 7.6.7600.256, but windows update installed version 7.6.7600.320, and you can see the result from the image as to what happens when I try to check for updates.

I would prefer not to do a system restore, but how do I fix this?

Is this this the same issue corrected / posted by LoginBroken on Feb 23 2011?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 26th, 2014 11:00

dave in pa,

Make a system restore point.

Open notepad. Copy the information between the lines, then paste them to notepad

===========================================

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll

===========================================

Save as Update.cmd

Right click on Update.cmd, left click run as administrator. Answer yes to the 4 questions.

Restart the computer and see if Windows Updates works.

Rick

34 Posts

June 25th, 2014 11:00

I received error code 80246002

Message box says "Windows Could not search for new updates."

34 Posts

June 25th, 2014 19:00

I contacted Microsoft about it and their tech remotely accessed my computer attempting to reset windows update but it failed anyway. One of their techs wanted to do a clean install of my operating system but I vetoed that because  if that doesn't work than I would have lost files and programs for an error in Microsoft programming. Dell computers don't come with installation disks, and even though I did back ups, I don't think you can clean install from a backup. They escalated the issue to a level 2 technician who is supposed to call me tomorrow morning. Given the amount of posts on Microsoft Community there are a lot of people with the same issue, and even if Microsoft corrects the issue, users won't be able to receive or install the correction because windows update no longer works. Good advise to make sure your system has the latest updates, just don't install them until you read the feeds about the updates on Microsoft Community.

1 Message

June 25th, 2014 19:00

I have the exact same issue. Running updates on 4 servers in my SharePoint farm and it installed that new update agent automatically on one of them and now whenever it checks for updates it just fails.

Odd that it only happened on one of the servers...

124 Posts

June 25th, 2014 20:00

Sorry to barge in here but I found a little about this by looking up KB2887535. It is a 'gradual rollout'.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 26th, 2014 04:00

dave in pa,

You said you have Windows 7, correct?

For Windows 7

How to Repair Windows 7 Update Issues

or

Windows Updates failing in Windows 7 {SOLUTION}

Rick

4 Posts

June 26th, 2014 09:00

Same issue here. Win 7. I eventually fixed it by changing security permissions on the "wuaueng.dll" file located in the System32 folder which allowed me to rename it. I then pasted an older version (the correct version) of the file from another PC in it's place. This resulted in a different WU error that was just as frustrating. However, I then ran "MicrosoftFixit50202" Tool with the pasted file in place and mysteriously, WU started working again! I have no idea exactly why "Fix-It" resolved the issue with the older file in place. I then reset the security settings on the "wuauen.dll" file to "TrustedInstaller", just to make it like it was. I don't recommend this fix because it requires working with security settings and system files which could wreak havoc on your system if not done properly and due to my lack of understanding regarding this issue, doesn't guarantee successful results. Hopefully, a fix from MS will be available soon anyway.

34 Posts

June 26th, 2014 09:00

Hi Rock Star Rick:

I tried those fixes, even ran windows update troubleshooter which found some errors and fixed some but not others. None of it worked.

Windows Update error 0x80070003(2014-06-26-T-11_10_34A) Not fixed

Problems installing recent updates Not Fixed

When the update for Windows update installed (automatic) it installed update agent version 7.6.7600.320, however Microsoft's support page says the correct version is 7.6.7600.256. I don't know what the difference between the two or if that is even relevant. If that is the cause. how do I now obtain the correct version?

4 Posts

June 26th, 2014 13:00

Thanks. (See my other post) Something to note on my system. I put the original Update Agent file "wuaueng.dll" version 7.6.7600.320 (dated 05/14/2014) back into System32 and rebooted. Windows Update immediately resulted in the same error #80246002. I ran your "Update.cmd" file as you instructed and rebooted. Windows Update again resulted in the error. I ran "MicrosoftFixit50202.msi" and rebooted. Again, the same error occurred. I moved the older version of "wuaueng.dll" version 7.6.7600.256 (dated 06/02/2012) back into System32 replacing the newer version and, initially it also resulted in the same error. However, I modified your "Update.cmd" to use only the "regsvr32 wuaueng.dll", ran it, and Windows Update worked immediately. I rebooted and Windows Update is still working. Any ideas why? Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 26th, 2014 13:00

e003sb,

The little command was just re-registering the dll's for Windows Update. There were 7 dll's for Windows XP that needed re-registered after installing some systems. I had to research this a few years ago. Once the dll's were re-registered, Windows Updates works with no problems. Not all the dll's were used on Windows 7.

Rick

1 Message

June 26th, 2014 15:00

I had the same problem when windows update agent was updated to version 7.6.7600.320 with error code 80246002.

I'm using Win7 Home premium 64 bit on Dell Inspiron n5110

I solved the problem from the instructions from here:

http://mikemstech.blogspot.com/2011/12/how-to-perform-offline-system-integrity.html

This will show you how to use your win7 installation disc to check and repair critical system files.  BTW I skipped the "chkdsk" part and it still worked.  And remember to put the correct drive letters for system boot and windows OS partition.  You can find more info here: 

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139810-sfc-scannow-run-command-prompt-boot.html

Hope that helps.

4 Posts

June 26th, 2014 17:00

Thanks Rick. I figured the command line probably registered the "dll" files but wasn't sure. The older "wuaueng.dll" file dated 06/02/2012 was backed by Windows on my system if you do a search for it via Win Explorer and makes for satisfactory replacement. Of the four files noted in your command file, three are dated 05/14/2014 and "wuaueng.dll" is now dated 06/02/2012 via my Win Explorer. But hey, Update works! All one has to do is replace the newer one with the older one and then re-register it. At least that technique works on my system. It is a temporary fix. It's a shame about the new Update Agent as it is touted to be more bullet-proof. MS claims (as the poster above states) that the Update Agent is on a "gradual rollout". Windows Update: A service designed to protect your OS from grief.... is causing quite a bit of grief! :>) Scott

34 Posts

June 26th, 2014 20:00

Thanks Rick, that worked and so does windows update.

I don't know what those dynamic link libraries do, but it appears everything is operating properly.

You really do rock.

Thanks again.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 27th, 2014 13:00

dave in pa,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

4 Posts

July 2nd, 2014 09:00

Thanks from me too Rick. I used your command and now WU is working with the newer "dll" file. Must have been user error, or something specific to my system. Appreciate you. Scott
No Events found!