Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 28th, 2016 06:00

Problem updating firmware

I'm trying to update the firmware on our Wyse D50Q devices from 11.3.070 to 11.3.106. I want to test it on one device before rolling it out to all devices, so want to use the USB Firmware Update Tool. Looking at the release notes it says it is compatible with V2.0.9.15 of the tool. When I run it however and select the .rsp file I get the following error: "Failed to add image. Unsupported I2D content is found in file: D:\11.3.106\11.3.106.rsp". Can anyone shed any light on this error, and what I might be doing wrong?!

Thanks

560 Posts

September 30th, 2016 09:00

Allertha,

each model machine has a security code that the images are checked against. This is to prevent the wrong image from being installed on the thin client, you don't want the image from an D50D installed on a D50Q, since they use different components and drivers. Using the USB Image Tool you can create a USB drive that can contain the image for ANY supported thin client. However, that image has to match the thin client that image was built for, This includes matching the OS architecture (32 or 64 bit, or ARM) and matching the downloaded image to the OS architecture.

If you need assistance on how to use the USB Imaging Tool, Press F1 inside the USB IT.

560 Posts

September 28th, 2016 11:00

Allertda,

The only reason you would have gotten that message is if you are using the firmware file for a Z50D instead of the Z50Q. They are the same firmware version, but they are different devices, and if you use the wrong firmware file, it will give you that error.

The other thing I would recommend, since you have a D50Q, is to upgrade to ThinLinux. ThinLinux is the next generation of Linux available for the D50Q (5020) and Z50Q (7020).

The ThinLinux upgrade can be found at the same location under 5020/7020 section

8 Posts

September 29th, 2016 00:00

Thanks for the info Roger. The firmware file I downloaded was 11.3.106 from https://appservices.wyse.com/pages/serviceandsupport/support/dlOraFW.asp?which=179&model=Z50Q/D50Q/Z50QQ(Wyse%20Linux)

But i'll try the ThinLinux upgrade as you suggest. I'll let you know if this works and mark it as an answer. Thanks for the help!

8 Posts

September 29th, 2016 01:00

I think I must be making a schoolboy error! Shouldn't I be able to push an image for most platforms to a USB drive for upgrading a device? I've also tried the ThinLinux 1,1,1 build and that fails with the same error when I try to push the image with the USB tool.

560 Posts

September 29th, 2016 10:00

Thank you may want to go to the thin client System Information screen to verify what the device is reporting that it is. Looks like you have a Z50D and not a Z50Q, at least that's what the error indicates.

8 Posts

September 30th, 2016 00:00

Hi Roger,

I double-checked and it's definitely a D50Q! What I don't understand is why it matters at this stage what the device actually is? I've installed the USB Imaging Tool on my PC running Windows 7 Ent, downloaded and unzipped the image, and am now trying to create the USB image to then install on the device. Why should it care what device it is at this stage? Surely I should be able to create USB images for any device on this platform? That's why I think I must be missing something fundamental in the process.

Thanks for your time assisting me with this!

No Events found!