Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 11th, 2022 08:00

Update for Wyse 3040

Hi, so I apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this question or if it is an obvious answer but my work handed me two Wyse 3040 Thin Clients that will need to be updated to a newer version of the OS? for example we now need Citrix Workspace but currently we have Citrix Reciever. So my qestion is can these clients be updated without the use of the Wyse Management Suite? My work isnt too keen on installing the management suite nor am I familiar with it therefore I was wondering if there is some way of updating it via USB or flashing a newer ISO from USB to it?

Thanks

Ben

7 Posts

July 14th, 2022 03:00

So from my other contacts the ThinLinux platform is no longer supported and tus I can close this ticket and continue with Dell Support directly to try organise a future use for our devices.

3 Apprentice

• 

702 Posts

July 11th, 2022 09:00

Thin clients are designed to be centrally managed, and to that end there is Wyse Managemen Suite (std free, or pro paid).  The beauty of the pro version is that it can be run from the cloud. 

You can update the 3040 using a USB drive with the "USB Imaging tool", https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=dtcwv&oscode=thn80&productcode=wyse-5070-thin-client

This would get installed on a PC to build a USB flash drive with the "Merlin" image, https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=j9j5c&oscode=thn80&productcode=wyse-3040-thin-client

The ThinOS 9.1 series (currently 2205) will allow you to move to CWA and off of the receiver. 

Keep in mind if you use the USB imaging option, it will erase all of your settings, and after installing ThiNOS 2205, you will need to install the CWA package and set your settings. 

7 Posts

July 12th, 2022 02:00

Update

I changed form using XML to the RSP file and seems to be working however I am getting a security error so I am just installing the preupdates before this one to hopefully fix the issue.

7 Posts

July 12th, 2022 02:00

Hi so thanks for supplying me with the Merlin file I could not find that, however I am running into another issue, the clients I have are 64 bit but however when I select 64 bit the usb configures and I get an error stating the OS selected is not defined for 64 bit systems? is there a specific 64 bit file or have I done something wrong?

Thanks

7 Posts

July 12th, 2022 07:00

Ok I have gotten the file to install however when I get past the install it just prompts me with Dell Recovery inthe GRUB. I have also learned that I am using Thin Liunx rather than ThinOS so I have downloaded the and installed the preupdate but as I said after the I boot through the USB i just get a recovery option in the GRUB? I probably am selecting something wrong and I do apologise for the spam I am troubleshooting on the go here.

3 Apprentice

• 

702 Posts

July 12th, 2022 09:00

Currently, converting between Operating systems, or installing an operating system that the system was not sold with is not supported.  That is likely to change (in the very near) future. 

I would advise you to reach out to your Dell sales team for more information on overcoming this.

7 Posts

July 12th, 2022 13:00

Just to clarify before I contact support, I am keeping the same OS just updating to a new version I am not looking to convert. Would this be classed as changing the OS from sold?

Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

702 Posts

July 12th, 2022 14:00

What is the name of the Image you are trying to load on the device?

7 Posts

July 12th, 2022 15:00

I am trying to load ThinLinux version 2.2.1.04 Merlin currently it is running 2.1 and we are looking to upgrade our Citrix from the Receiver to Workspace which requires 2.2. Unfortunately there is an obvious time difference and it is currently 11:40pm where I am so I will probably not be able to reply again until tomorrow but thanks for all your help so far.

No Events found!