XPS Desktops

Last reply by 06-17-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Bought XPS 8940, should I have waited for XPS 8950? Need advice

I must admit, I do not follow Dell updates when it comes to product releases. It was just my luck when I purchased an XPS 8940 (i9-11th gen) earlier this week, then saw the press release pop up on my newsfeed about the completely redesigned XPS 8950.

I bought the XPS 8940 refurbished from Dell with a great price. I am upgrading from an XPS 8700 (i9/32gb DDR3 RAM). My work is photo editing, and with the recent increase is digital camera resolution it was time to finally upgrade my machine as it has had trouble keeping up.

I try to only upgrade when the time is right, but should I have waited to purchase the XPS 8950? I had my previous XPS 8700 for years and years. My goal is to have this XPS 8940 for as long as I can as well.

So, looking for advice. Is the new DDR5 RAM and Intel I9-12th gen a complete game changer compared to the DDR4 RAM and I9-11th gen? I am not concerned with graphics cards as my PC is not for gaming or video work. My main workload consist of processing power and available RAM.

The XPS 8940 I purchased is still in the box, and I have 30 days to return it. 

Thanks for hearing me out!

Replies (23)
10 Diamond

Not sure what "processing power and available RAM" means.

The 8940 or 8950 is not a Precision workstation.

DDR4 vs DDR5 is mostly marketing not performance.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Diagnostics & Tools

Thank you for your reply. My pay grade unfortunately doesn't pair me with those commercial Precision machines. I have used the maxed out XPS builds in my profession as the price point for performance is the best IMO. 

By 'processing power and available RAM.', I just mean that processing speed/power and available ram (capacity) is the most important for my work. I do not know the language of PCs all that well, so excuse my lack of knowledge.

Thanks again!

@protomania1 You may be interested in this article which describes what looks like the new XPS 8950: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/10/dells-xps-desktop-gets-a-new-look-and-liquid-cooling/

I would especially look at the reader comments.

10 Diamond

@protomania1  - You didn't mention how much RAM your XPS 8940 will have, but it supports up to 128 GB of RAM so that should give you plenty of room to expand...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

The last thing anyone should ever do is read the comment section of any article

@Joe Shades wrote:

The last thing anyone should ever do is read the comment section of any article

Not in this case. Vic is right about this, the comments are spot on in regards to Dell desktops. Also, there is often more truth in the comments to articles than the articles themselves. That's why a lot of media has removed comments.....they are censoring the truth.

Re: 

should I have waited to purchase the 8950? I had my previous 8700 for years and years. My goal is to have this 8940 for as long as I can as well.

So, looking for advice. Is the new DDR5 RAM and Intel I9-12th gen a complete game changer compared to the DDR4 RAM and I9-11th gen? I am not concerned with graphics cards as my PC is not for gaming or video work. My main workload consist of processing power and available RAM.

The 8940 I purchased is still in the box, and I have 30 days to return it. 

if I were you I would check the invoice of system spec whether your 8940 came with premium cooler or generic Dell pancake cooler.  the latter is pathetically inadequate found out by many buyers.  the 8950 in picture appears to come with premium cooler by default.  whether it is 11th or 12th gen cpu you do need a competent cooler for cpu performance.

I think you may always kick yourself for not getting the ddr5 and 12th if you keep the 8940 and only eye the 8950.  you may hear a lot of different opinions on this or that but ultimately it is your own personal pc for years to come and do you want to stay with yesterday's tech or today's, that is a personal question only you know the answer.  Just remind yourself the 8950 today will be become like 8940 the next year, meaning even newer model will come out to supplant it.  but speaking of pc of the day today, you need to decide based on your own feeling without qualms.

@dave423 Thanks. When someone ignores the comments they are ignoring other people's opinions/thoughts on the subject. Those opinions may be correct or not but at least they are something to think about. The OP is looking for advice, reading the comments offers some advice and things to consider.

10 Diamond

@protomania1 

Please press the blue Accept as Solution button below if this post answers your question.

"processing speed/power and available ram (capacity)"  6 to 12 cores works much better for specific workloads or virtualization.  512 gigs of ram is always better than 32 64 128 gigs ram for specific workloads.

Precision models can have 2 CPUS and More than 4X ram capacity (512 Gigs)  for the same amount of money or less if you include 128 gigs of ram for special edition versions of the 8940 8950.

Thats why I advise my clients when recommending a "work station" not for games but for compute and virtualization, development to get a precision

Precision 5820 Tower Works fine with windows 11

Precision 7820 Tower
Precision 7920 Tower

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Diagnostics & Tools

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor