Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

5 Posts

July 6th, 2022 11:00

Dell Thunderbolt Add-In-Card

Does anyone have more information about the Dell thunderbolt 3 add-in-card 555-beox? Supposedly it works on motherboards without the thunderbolt header (like on XPS-8930) . My main question is, what is the chipset on this card, Alpine Ridge or Titan Ridge?  Does anyone have the pinout of the 5-pin header that Dell uses (in case i'd need to trick the card to come alive with a 3.3V pullup)

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 6th, 2022 12:00

@Chris_0611 

555-beox

Supposedly it works on motherboards without the thunderbolt header. It does not work.

@DELL-Chris M  may have more information.

(like on XPS-8930) .Thunderbolt controller and header , Display port and GPIO cable is required.

GGTXK DP CABLE
NK4P3 GPIO CABLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_CnQJY4NoY

Dell Precision 3630  Thunderbolt 3 Add-in Card 8DTHW P1XY1

Some Systems with USB Type-C Port Lack a Thunderbolt 3 Controller

System Will Not Work With a Thunderbolt 3 Device

You may encounter an issue where a Dell system with a USB Type-C port will not support a connection to a Thunderbolt 3 device
(such as a Dell Thunderbolt Dock (TB16). This is a result of either:

The system does not meet the hardware requirements for Thunderbolt 3
The system has the capability but was not ordered with an OPTIONAL Thunderbolt 3 controller

Cause

NOTE: The system was not ordered with the Thunderbolt 3 options, DPWC500  If the system DOES NOT have Thunderbolt 3 capability, the thunderbolt options will be grayed out and cannot be selected in the BIOS.

systems can only be configured at the time of purchase with optional Thunderbolt 3 capability.

FH5T4 has the GPIO cable and connector.

P1XY1  P1XY1.png

https://www.ebay.com/p/4035020513

FH5T4 Card with GPIO and Display port INPUTFH5T4 Card with GPIO and Display port INPUT

FH5T4 Card Note GPIO headerFH5T4 Card Note GPIO header

No controller on motherboardNo controller on motherboard

July 6th, 2022 13:00

We are not discussing TB2 cards, we're talking TB3. Everything Alpine-Ridge and before does need a header (absolutely). From Titan-Ridge onwards, not so much (sometimes with limitations).

July 6th, 2022 13:00

If the card is a Titan Ridge (the controller on the AIC), it should work (maybe with some limitations) without the GPIO cable. For example hot-plugging might not work. Depends a bit on the bios. Some TB3 cards (like Asus TB3ex AIC) needs to be 'waken up' by putting 3.3V with a pullup resistor on a specific pin of the 'TB header', I can arrange that (if I have the pinout). The Linux kernel might not even care at all about bios-support or 'Thunderbolt headers'. USB3.2 and DP-alt mode pass-through should work regardless. Etc.  I'm very sure this card does not need to be 'waken up' whatsoever (because it IS listed as supported by some Dell systems without a header).

I'm looking for some actual information/specs about this card. It's the only low-profile TB3 AIC on the market so I'm willing to jump through some hoops to make it work.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 6th, 2022 14:00

@DELL-Chris M 

@Chris_0611 

"if the card is a Titan Ridge (the controller on the AIC), it should work (maybe with some limitations) without the GPIO cable. "

Thats incorrect.  GPIO and DP wrap thru cable are still required whether TB2 or TB3.  The difference is the USB-C connector for TB3.  I havent posted about TB2 cards I specifically posted about TB3 cards with DP INPUT, USB-C connectors.

The cards I posted are TB3. There is no such standard which is why each vendor has their own card and cables.  They are not interchangeable.

Gigabyte GC-TITAN-RIDGE 

Note this too has GPIO and DP cableNote this too has GPIO and DP cable

• Intel® Thunderbolt™ 3 Certified add-in card
  • Intel® DSL7540 Thunderbolt™ 3 controller on motherboard
  • Dual Thunderbolt™ 3 Ports (USB Type-C™)
  • Max Bandwidth 40 Gb/s
  • DisplayPort 1.4 Capable with 4K Video Throughout
  • Daisy-chain up to 12 Devices (6 devices per port)
  • Support PD3.0 standard (up to 100W)

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 6th, 2022 15:00

@Chris_0611 

@DELL-Chris M 

FH5T4 is the same card with Low Profile Bracket.

This is TB3 card and REQUIRES TB3 controller on the motherboard as well as GPIO is required. These are facts.

Pinouts or schematics are never posted this is Dell policy.

FH5T4FH5T4

Yes, it has a GPIO connector. But like I said, its not strictly required. A titan-ridge card could be (partly or fully) functional without connecting this cable, even on completely unsupported motherboards.

There is no fundamental reason a titan ridge chipset would need a GPIO interface, as all required communication can be done over the PCI-e bus. People ARE using TB3 AIC's without GPIO cables. The GPIO is simple there to support some power-management functions, and in some cases to trigger the BIOS to allocate memory if a new device is connected (hot-plugging).

I ask simple questions:

- What is the chipset the BEOX-555 uses? Is it Titan Ridge or Alpine Ridge?

- What is the pinout of the 5-pin connector Dell uses?  (PSC1/PSC2/Plug Event/Ground, in what sequence on the connector?)

- Any users have actual experience with using this card without the GPIO cable?

- Why does Dell list the BEOX-555 supported on the XPS 8930 while the XPS 8930 motherboard doesn't even have the thunderbolt 5-pin header?

5 Practitioner

• 

4.9K Posts

ROFL, while I don't have the information for the pinout connector, I know that 555-beox is not the only low profile card.  Dell also sell 555-beoz and 540-bchl with low profile bracket.

If you check the reviews of purchasers, you will find many have installed these cards without the header cable.  Just make certain proper driver is installed.  They will work on selected XPS, Precision, Optiplex, and Alienware.

There is no need to argue with other member who was trying to help.  I agree however, lot of  misleading information can impede your inquiry.  But can't blame a person with limited understanding.  Heck, he/she even made claim that thunderbolt 4 does not exist and it was replaced with usb 4.  

Many of the reviewers did not have to use the header connector cable leading me to think that these cards are Titan Ridge. 

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

July 6th, 2022 16:00

I think I found the answer to OP Chris_0611 main question: what is the chipset on this card, Alpine Ridge or Titan Ridge?

Alpine-ridge.

40408i933461C78C218772 (991×168) (dell.com)

Dell Part SKU 555-BEOX
DP/N 7XY5K

40406i6D01DEDE3D44D15B (1741×739) (dell.com)

This PCIe add-in card "does not need any external power connectors."

credit Dell Chris M

5 Practitioner

• 

4.9K Posts

July 6th, 2022 17:00

Yup, on the same thread mentioned by Red, you can see pictures (on page 3) of op's XPS with tb card installed by itself, no cable needed.  The newer AIC can be installed on Dell's boards without the GPIO header.  This was also confirmed by DELL-Chris M (mod).

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

July 6th, 2022 18:00

Dell mod Alasdair opined regarding 

SKU number: 555-BEOX kit contains the card (p/n# P1XY1, CRD,NTWK,I/O,PCIE,TBT3,FH,V2) and cable (p/n# H71G3, ASSY,CBL,DP1.3,TBT3/USB3.1,D8)

"Add-in cards on the newer Precision systems that support Thunderbolt (xx20,xx30) don't require a GPIO cable/header. All that is required is the card and a DisplayPort 1.3 to Thunderbolt 3/USB 3.1 Cable (usually supplied with the card)."

July 6th, 2022 23:00

Thanks all for the information.

This is what currently is my suspicion

540-bchl = Intel Alpine Ridge controller. Used on older systems (8th gen), and would need the GPIO cable

555-beo* = Intel Titan Ridge controller. Newer systems, wouldn't necessarily need the the GPIO cable

Even a high resolution photo of the cards would do, as it would be literally be printed onto the controller chip.  For example here you'll see JHL7540 which is Intel Titan ridge.

Nobody has actual high-res photos of these cards?

I might just order BEOX-555 and see for myself if I can get it alive on a non-supported motherboard...

No Events found!