Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

4 Posts

May 19th, 2022 13:00

Odd Freeze Event After GPU Driver Update + BIOS Updates

This is for a XPS 8930 system I purchased back in September of 2019. It's been 4-5 months since I updated the GPU (nvidia GeForce RTX 2060) and I updated to driver version 512.77. The driver downloaded smoothly and installed but right at the end after it showed me check marks for successfully installing certain things in the driver package (i.e. audio drivers) the screen froze and all I could do was move the mouse around (couldn't click anything). I had to press and hold the power button to shut down. Everything is working fine now but I'd rather not have to do this in future video card driver updates.

On a slightly unrelated note. I am getting annoyed with the monthly BIOS updates that require my USB drive to perform. I get anxiety sometimes and feel like I'm going to wreck my system by accident messing around in there.

Will BIOS updates always be like that for the older 8930 or will Windows 11 have a fix? Using the .exe file never works for me. However there was one instance where I left the BIOS update on the Dell Updates App for a couple weeks and the Windows Update seemed to catch it and it installed that way. Maybe I should just be more patient???

Thanks for your time!

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

May 19th, 2022 16:00

For what it is worth, I'm on W11, have the RTX2060 6GB card on an XPS8940...

Installed the same DRIVER (Game Ready) and it never completed for me. GeForce Experience was used to D/L and install the file. Same problem, GeForce Experience did not respond, had to power off and back on. Started GeForce Experience and it showed it was installed correctly (I did leave it for some time hoping it would recover and I guess it did complete).

If you did not go into BIOS and turn off setting UEFI firmware capsule updates Windows Update will install it. Yes, it is a little later than the updates are made available in Support. Still, since you are on Windows, you could install them in Windows, although, using a bootable USB drive and doing it that way is usually safer. That is have the drive in and power up, use F12 and select the USB drive to install the BIOS. See this link, https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000128928/flashing-the-bios-from-the-f12-one-time-boot-menu 

4 Posts

May 20th, 2022 06:00

ok thanks for the reply!

No Events found!