XPS Desktops

Last reply by 10-03-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
3 Silver

What programs to use to check health of an SSD?

I just set up my Dell XPS 8950 desktop. Storage is a WD PC SN810 NVMe WDC 512 GB. What program(s) can I use to occasionally check the health of this SSD? 

Solutions (3)

Accepted Solutions
4 Beryllium

Well, you can go 'straight to the drive maker', Western Digital and get its Dashboard:

ispalten_0-1664745504494.png

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=171#downloads 

===================================

I am a Dell TechExpert. I am not a Dell employee. I enjoy using my free time to help the community. If you find my posts useful, you can thank me by clicking on Kudos!

Thanks,

Irv S.

View solution in original post

I just installed it, and it does recognize the WD SSD.  Thanks.

Yep.  I also just installed the WD Dashboard.  It reports the same data as CrystalDisk Info.  The Dashboard is a cool program.  It also reported on my WD MyPassport 2 GB external drive, as did CrystalDisk  I'm going to use them both.

Replies (13)
5 Rhenium

@blindmelonball Try CrystalDiskInfo: https://crystalmark.info/en/

4 Beryllium

Well, you can go 'straight to the drive maker', Western Digital and get its Dashboard:

ispalten_0-1664745504494.png

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=171#downloads 

I am a Dell TechExpert. I am not a Dell employee. I enjoy using my free time to help the community. If you find my posts useful, you can thank me by clicking on Kudos!

Thanks,

Irv S.

I could be wrong but I believe the OP's Western Digital SSD is an OEM drive. Sometimes manufacturers' software is only meant for retail drives and will not work for OEM drives. The only way to find out is to try the software since Western Digital does not indicate whether the software is only meant for retail drives. However, Western Digital does state that retail firmware updates and OEM updates are very different. 

@Vic384 

Well, that screen capture is from my XPS8940 with a WD 520GB SSD supplied in the system from WD. Program worked fine as you can see.

If it wouldn't work on the 'Dashboard', then it probably wouldn't work on Crystal Marks program either. I'm sure the data access points (Life, S.M.A.R.T, etc.) are standard points so all programs that report those would work.

All I know, it works for me. By the way, the Dashboard also sees my USB drive and reports on it. It does NOT see my Internal drive made by Seagate however.

By the way, I did fire up Crystal's DiskInfo and it does have the same data as the Dashboard as far as Life is concerned. So both do work.

Thanks,

Irv S.

I do use CrystalDisk for my HDs on my Win7 machine.  I didn't know it works with SSDs.  I'll download the new version and try it out.

Thanks.

I just installed it, and it does recognize the WD SSD.  Thanks.

Yep.  I also just installed the WD Dashboard.  It reports the same data as CrystalDisk Info.  The Dashboard is a cool program.  It also reported on my WD MyPassport 2 GB external drive, as did CrystalDisk  I'm going to use them both.

8 Platinum

I use Crystal Disk-Info, but Passmark has a free SMART-status reader also.

Both will read any disk-make.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.

@ispalten Thanks for testing WD 'Dashboard'. Good to know it works with WD OEM drives.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor