Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 2nd, 2022 08:00

XPS 8700, has anyone seen this splash screen?

XPS 8700

XPS 8700

On boot, regular Dell splash screen showed, then proceeded to show hard drive status, etc. Next, got a Dell splash screen "with dimples" where the system got stuck. Re-attempts yielded the same result until I unplugged everything but monitor, mouse and keyboard. Oh no. It's concert season and year end and I can't take the risk right now of rebooting for fear of not getting past the problem when I am heavily depending on this machine. But I did try to locate the issue.  Event Viewer isn't showing anything obvious. Dell SA errors out and refuses to do a hardware scan where only last week, it completed with everything passed. Windows update errors out. Bitdefender and MSRT can complete quick scans with no viruses, but get stuck on full scans. Western Digital diagnostic says all hard drives are healthy. I most recently uninstalled Ease US backup and installed Acronis (which I have uninstalled but not rebooted, as above).  About 1 successful boot ago, I switched the DVI to DVI cable to DVI to HDMI on the monitor side (in preparation for setting up a new machine after the craziness dies down). About 5 successful boots ago, I had installed an updated NVidia driver for the GeForce GTX 660. 

Here is a mock up of the Dell splash screen I am talking about that appears 2nd, "with dimples.". Has anyone seen this?  Any thoughts on source of the  problem? Where else to look, short of rebooting at this time?

DellSplash2.jpg

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 2nd, 2022 13:00

Assuming your mockup is accurate, looks -to me- like you have two images, one on top of the other.

The "dimples" could just be the sides of a larger Dell logo circle that aren't covered by the smaller Dell logo you see in full, possibly because the screen didn't refresh correctly when the logo in front got displayed...

Have you checked the monitor's settings, including input port and resolution on monitor's own on-screen display (OSD).  Since you swapped DVI(PC)>DVI(monitor) to DVI(PC)>HDMI(monitor), monitor might still be looking for a DVI signal rather than for HDMI...

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 2nd, 2022 08:00

I moved this to the correct XPS Desktop section.

Based on your report, first thought is something to do with video card (and possibly the DVI/HDMI cable).

When you first boot and before Windows starts the video card operates (or should) in a basic VGA mode. Any strange display goes back to the video card.  There may be other things but video first.  You can rollback the video driver to the old version in the Device Manager without booting.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

December 2nd, 2022 09:00

For strange boot issue such as getting stuck on screen etc.,  replace cmos battery w a brand new battery and clear cmos settings via motherboard RTCRST jumper.

by the way I cannot help noting the dell with dimples logo is kind of cute.

5 Practitioner

• 

4.7K Posts

December 2nd, 2022 11:00

I 've seen a variant of Dell splash screens, some with Dell logo stretched out to oval shape, some with bottom half screen garbled up and top half with pieces of logo, some with multiplied logos scatter around.  But whatever the display appeared, it did not affect the boot process.  I think it was attributed to the BIOS settings (secure boot) combined with the types of monitors and cables setup (DID).

If replacing CMOS battery and RTC reset does not fix problem, I think the issue with system hung at boot could been caused by a plugged-in external drive.  If OP is indeed using one, try to boot without any USB drive.

2 Posts

December 18th, 2022 06:00

I think you are correct that the "dimples" are a smaller super-imposed Dell logo overtop a larger one.  Using my original DVI to DVI cable, I successfully booted.  Still booted successfully after Acronis reinstalled.  Stange since the monitor was one of the things left plugged in when I finally got it to boot after the multiple boot failures using the DVI to HDMI cable.  And, I'm now using that same DVI to HDMI cable with no problems on the new machine.  I will update here if I discover anything else about the problem.  

No Events found!