Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

7 Posts

October 3rd, 2022 08:00

XPS 8930, strange browser failures

XPS 8930

XPS 8930

My main desktop is a three year old out of warranty Dell XPS 8930.
System Specs -
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz 3.00 GHz
32 GB RAM
c = 1TB SSD
e = 4TB HDD
f = 4TB HDD

About a week ago, on that main desktop, Firefox, Chrome, and a few other browsers started returning "Microsoft Defender Smartscreen can't be reached" for any and all websites. Edge, SlimBrowse, and a few others continued to work properly.

Two days ago, all my browsers (except Tor and an old IE11.0 browser) were returning the same error.

I tried various fixes and this particular message is no longer being presented but "ERR_CONNECTION_RESET" is being displayed instead.

My other desktops and devices are not experiencing this problem, so I know my internet connection is okay.

Furthermore, from the affected main desktop, I can successfully ping all the sites I'm trying unsuccessfully to reach via the browsers. And I can also reach all the sites in Tor. So the problem is not a connectivity problem at all.

Microsoft Outlook 2010 continues to work properly.

I do not have any proxy server.

The problem persists with or without the firewall turned on (Kaspersky).

I tried various fixes suggested on the web - No effect.

I downloaded and ran Restoro.exe - No effect.

Finally, I upgraded from Windows 10 Pro 64-bit to Windows 11 Pro 64-bit. The problem continues to persist. After the upgrade, the old IE11.0 browser is now failing in the same way as the others, but Tor continues to work.

Any suggestions for a solution to this would certainly be appreciated.

402 Posts

October 3rd, 2022 10:00

I don't have specific knowledge/experience with this issue. It would seem that the group policy editor, as mentioned in "Fix 3" in this article may be relevant, though from what you say I imagine you've already checked there.

Taking a big-picture view, since the problem survived the upgrade to Windows 11, it must be somewhere in your settings which were preserved in the upgrade. If it isn't too much trouble, it may make sense to back up your files and reinstall Windows from scratch. That requires reinstalling apps too, but I bet it eliminates the problem. Though I love solving problems, sometimes it's easier to work around them. 

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 3rd, 2022 10:00

Have you tried clearing cache, cookies, history for each of those browsers?

Have you tried this?

1. Open CMD prompt window, Run as administrator.
  2. Type these, in order, and click Enter after each command:
  3. Netsh winsock reset
  4. Netsh int ip reset
  5. Ipconfig /release
  6. ipconfig /renew
  7. Ipconfig /flushdns
  8. Close CMD window
  9. Test browsers again

October 3rd, 2022 13:00

Thank you. Yes, I've tried all those - no change.

The bare reinstall is an absolute last resort - 184 programs would be involved.

Yes, I've tried all that. No change.

Thank you -

1. When some of the browsers started failing, I installed others to see how prevalent the problem was.

2. Why should I upgrade. It's working perfectly. If it ain't broke, DOOOON'T Fix it!

3. To which specific "Microsoft stuff" are you referring?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@mdavidjohnson442 wrote:

Dell XPS 8930.

1. Firefox, Chrome, and a few other browsers started returning "Microsoft Defender Smartscreen can't be reached" for any and all websites. Edge, SlimBrowse, and a few others continued to work properly. Two days ago, all my browsers (except Tor and an old IE11.0 browser) were returning the same error.

2. Microsoft Outlook 2010 continues to work properly.

3. The problem persists with or without the firewall turned on (Kaspersky).

1. What's with all the browsers? Chrome (and/or Edge) and Firefox should be enough.

Never-ever seen that message. Maybe try this:

https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-smartscreen-cant-be-reached-right-now-error-fixes/

2. That is very old. Have you considered upgrading? If you follow this link, you can get new/legit Lifetime-License of Microsoft Office Pro 2021 for $36.

3. If using Kaspersky, I think you have to turn-off some of the Microsoft stuff.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 3rd, 2022 15:00

@mdavidjohnson442 wrote:

Thank you -

1. When some of the browsers started failing, I installed others to see how prevalent the problem was.

2. Why should I upgrade. It's working perfectly. If it ain't broke, DOOOON'T Fix it!

3. To which specific "Microsoft stuff" are you referring?

1. Oh.

2. I've found that's it's good to upgrade programs at least every 10 years (or when switching OSes). I'm talking like real-programs ... the pricey apps and and/or suites from Microsoft, Adobe, etc. 

3. Any redundant protection software (or Windows Security features) between Microsoft and Kaspersky.  

Did you follow that link I posted? It looked pretty good as it mentioned your exact problem.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 3rd, 2022 18:00

@mdavidjohnson442  - Does "tried all those" include trying a Windows System Restore to last date available before the problem started?

A restore would only affect apps that got updates and new app installations made after the restore date you select, and it will show you exactly what will be affected and have to be updated/installed again.

Personal files shouldn't affected at all by a System Restore, but always good to back everything up on external media first, to be safe.

402 Posts

October 3rd, 2022 21:00

@mdavidjohnson442 wrote:

The bare reinstall is an absolute last resort - 184 programs would be involved.

I can appreciate that, and it's a waste if it's not really necessary. (I guess it'd REALLY be a waste if you did it and it didn't fix the problem.) However, in my experience it's occasionally necessary — and reassuring to know the system is in a clean state. For what it's worth I maintain a script so I can recreate my settings and install my key apps up front, then I install the rest piecemeal, as I need them.

To allay concerns about a reinstall not fixing the problem, you could always image the boot disk beforehand with Macrium or an equivalent utility. That way if the problem persists, at least you can easily return to the prior state (problem and all).

October 4th, 2022 14:00

Thank you. I did indeed follow that link - it turned out to be a site I had already investigated.

October 4th, 2022 15:00

Grrr! Maybe just drop-kicking the machine and getting a new one would work better.

I just spent a couple of hours on the phone with Dell out-of-warranty paid support and they couldn't fix it either - fortunately, at least they refunded the $99 charge.

October 4th, 2022 15:00

Hmm. Unfortunately, the only restore point now available is the one right after the upgrade to Windows 11 on 2022/10/02. That's not going to help.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 4th, 2022 17:00

Sorry to hear that...

What about installing a free antiviral app which should disable Windows Defender and its SmartScreen? That could be a work-around.

But if that doesn't help, it may be time to do a clean install of Win 11 and your apps. Be sure to back up all your personal files on external media first, and make sure you have product keys for all apps that need them.

If you don't have those product keys, install Belarc Advisor (free) and it will find them for you. Print that list out so you can have all the keys available after you clean install...

No Events found!