XPS Desktops

Last reply by 06-24-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
3 Argentum

XPS 8940, BIOS update version 2.5.1

I received an email notification today that new BIOS version 2.5.1 for XPS 8940 is available and to apply the update. The info page on the Dell website shows this was published on April 16 and is marked as Urgent. Under Fixes & Enhancements, the description is "Firmware updates to address security vulnerabilities."

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-uk/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=6f9nt&oscode=wt64a&productco...

While I like to ensure my PC runs the most recent software, I'd like to hear if anyone else has applied this update and what the experience was like. My hesitation is driven by the negative experiences I read in this forum from users who have had serious problems after applying BIOS updates on their 8940s. While I've had no such bad experiences with previous updates, I'm being cautious now. I'd be updating from BIOS version 2.4.0.

Thanks.

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
3 Argentum

@ohwell1954 @ispalten @uwe-dembski thanks for your positive comments. So I just updated the BIOS to 2.5.1, no issues to report.

All is good.

View solution in original post

Community Accepted Solution
Replies (49)

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. Currently only available in the USA.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I have applied Bios 2.5.1 to my XPS 8940 and after a couple of days everything is functioning very well as far as I can tell.

4 Tellurium

I got the email as well...

No REAL info on what was included and it is not the first build, but 2.5.1 (note that BIOS 2.4.0 had the first build) so there was a prior build not released.

I'm one that has the Nvidia Freeze on my 8940.

I did install it this morning with no problem (on BIOS 2.3 I did have a ME warning when installing the BIOS over V 2.4, that there was an error, but Dell Support said it was OK) and so far, all seems to be well, but it has only been a few hours...

Thanks,

Irv S.

2 Iron

I have installed it. No problems. In a few days maybe Microsoft will update it too, so you can see the right version in Device Manager (Firmware). This was allways tricky for me. 

If one has turned OFF Capsule Update in the present BIOS, MS Update will not (supposedly) install it.

I don't think you can find the BIOS info in Device Manager, but you can in SYSTEM INFO and some other utility programs.

BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 2.5.1, 3/29/2022 is showing in SYSTEM INFO for me.

Thanks,

Irv S.

uwedembski_0-1650428823233.png

I meant the above.

Ahh, you are showing the HIDDEN DEVICES, I was not.

Interesting, I see the same as you?

ispalten_0-1650453193720.png

Even though I am on BIOS 2.5.1???

Been a day, no freeze either?

Wonder if that was created when MS installed the BIOS update?

I did Google "windows hidden device manager firmware" and it seems it might not be the System Firmware BIOS but the UEFI BIOS? Not sure though?

Thanks,

Irv S.

@uwe-dembski wrote:

I have installed it. No problems. In a few days maybe Microsoft will update it too, so you can see the right version in Device Manager (Firmware). This was allways tricky for me. 

Hmm, you're right - my entry in Device Manager says version 2.4.0. Never spotted that before! It looks as though none of the info about 2.5.1 made it to the Firmware entry in Device Manager.

3 Argentum

@ohwell1954 @ispalten @uwe-dembski thanks for your positive comments. So I just updated the BIOS to 2.5.1, no issues to report.

All is good.

Community Accepted Solution
Top Contributor
Latest Solutions