XPS Desktops

Last reply by 10-03-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

XPS 8940, doesn't see WiFi?

Hello,

I have a very weird issue. My internal WiFi adapter started to work weird a while back (sometimes it didn't see a network). So I switched to external Netgear USBr adapter which I used for a few month without issue. This morning both of them didn't see any network ( I tried multiple tricks (like automatic network fix), but only updating Netgear driver magically fixed both adapters (after desktop restart).

After I restarted my desktop in the evening, the issue re-appear again. Both of them are completely "green" (see screenshot bellow), yet no networks found. (WiFi works fine on my laptops and phone).

I tried to disable Norton 360, but it didn't help.

Dell.jpg

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
8 Platinum

Really better if you have just one WiFi card/adapter active/installed at a time. Un-plug or deactivate the other (either in Device-Manager or BIOS).

Similarly, if using the wired-ethernet on-board NIC, be sure you are disconnected from the WiFi-Access-Point.

If you never use WiFi "forget" the network (and stored password). That way, it will never inadvertently connect.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.

View solution in original post

Replies (3)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Forgot to mention - it is Windows 10 Home

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I run Dell Support Assist (the option to fix adapter) and everything (both adapters) is magically working again. Go figure.

Dell3.jpeg

8 Platinum

Really better if you have just one WiFi card/adapter active/installed at a time. Un-plug or deactivate the other (either in Device-Manager or BIOS).

Similarly, if using the wired-ethernet on-board NIC, be sure you are disconnected from the WiFi-Access-Point.

If you never use WiFi "forget" the network (and stored password). That way, it will never inadvertently connect.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
Latest Solutions
Top Contributor