Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

1 Message

October 1st, 2022 06:00

XPS 8940, internet speed capped at 1 Gbps

I purchased an XPS 8940 in March 2021 and upgraded my internet speed last week to 1.5 Gbps. Apparently, the current driver only supports up to 1.0 Gbps and there is not alternative driver to accommodate the new speed. Is there a solution to this problem?

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

October 1st, 2022 08:00

Are you using the Killer card?

Are you using wired or wireless?

Wired, need to buy a card that does more than 1GB for Ethernet. Google for 2Gbps or 2.5Gbps Ethernet Adapter. Also need to find a router if using one,  that will put out over 1Gbps over Ethernet. You might also need to upgrade you cables and most Cat6 or below can't handle that speed either.

Basically, you'll need to move up to a 2.5Gbps Network, this link would help you understand, https://nascompares.com/2021/04/30/a-guide-to-2-5gbe-networks-should-you-upgrade/ 

This one too, from a TP-Link perspective, https://www.tp-link.com/us/blog/734/multi-gig-ethernet-what-is-it-and-how-to-set-it-up-at-home/ 

For Wireless, the Killer card does support Wifi6e, but your  other devices may not. So you might need to or want to upgrade those as well. That includes the router if you have one, so if you are wireless only, the router with Wifi6E is required.

Hope this helps, but basically the stock XPS versions are 1Gbps max wired.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 1st, 2022 12:00

In Killer Intelligence Center:

Turn-off Auto-Bandwidth by setting to Manual with 900 down/up 50 . (something high like that)

If that doesn't help, I suggest you just Uninstall Intel Killer Performance Suite .

I've found that you can simply uninstall Intel Killer Performance Suite from Control-Panel/Programs-Features, and then reboot . I found that all the Killer/xTend Services were also properly uninstalled (but you should probably double-check for lingering Services anyway).

The base ethernet Network Interface Card drivers are left in place and the NIC still works fine (actually, usually better than before as it's a leaner/simpler configuration).

1 Rookie

• 

24 Posts

October 5th, 2022 06:00

What wi-fi adapter do you have? See image of mine below. When you run a test to see what you are getting from your ISP what do you get? The image below shows my adapter speed at 1.2 Gbps but my internet service plan with Spectrum is up to 400 Mbps. I usually get a little over four hundred. See second image.

Click on, tap, or activate image to enlarge it.

cat0w_0-1664975591821.png

Image Two

WiFiTEST61022.jpg

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

October 5th, 2022 08:00

@cat0w 

The 'speed' you are showing is the 'Connection Speed' to your router. That is the fastest you can achieve, and basically only to another device that has the same speed. See the full details here, https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html  under the heading #4. For what it is worth,  I too have Spectrum's 400Mbps service and my speed is:

ispalten_0-1664982522195.png

It also changes as data passes through it. That only has to be faster than the incoming ISP speed. Depends on the 802.11 Wireless Adapter speed more than anything else.

As for the 400Mbps Service speed, yes, Spectrum (and all ISP's generally) 'Over Provision' the speed. Usually by 20% or so. This is so you could always get what you pay for.

Oh, you might be able to edit you speed post, I wouldn't post my WAN IP address in public.

November 20th, 2022 12:00

I have a dell XPS 8940 which came with their Killercard. I discovered I am capped at 1 Gig but have Google Fiber delivering 2 Gigs to their router and I have their router hardwire plugged directly into my desktop computer with a cable the Google Fiber installer gave me which should be adequate.  I pay for Dell Premium support and asked if they can provide a card that will give me 2.5 Gigs or higher (they advertise having a 10 Gig card). 

Detail overview

Dell Bcm957406a4060 Broadcom 57406 Dual-port 10gbase-t Network Interface Card With Low-profile Bracket Pcie Bracket Adapter.

Manufacturer : Dell
Manufacturer Part Number : Bcm957406a4060

Condition : Brand New.
Availability : In Stock.
Our Warranty : 30 Days.

So far I have been given the reply that I need to contact sales.  No matter how I point out this is a technical question, as to whether my computer can accept an ethernet or network (rack) card, I am repeatedly told that I need to contact sales as they don't know.  So I am hoping  you can tell me if a desktop Dell XPS 8940 can accept a card that will provide 2Gigs or higher.

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

"Bob"

November 20th, 2022 13:00

I am already getting downloads of just over 900 Gbps with auto  bandwith not being on manual (or at least I assume it isn't on manual).  Regardless, I am concerned that if I uninstall Intel Killer Performance Suite then things might get worse since I don't know what internet speed my computer will give me without it.  A Dell technician had tinkered with my computer when I gave him access and when he was done my download speed dropped to 250 Gbps in place of the over 900 Gbps I had been getting.  Worse yet he was prepared to leave it at that, telling he he be researching the issue.  When I told  him  I had an external hard drive backup he asked me, "Do you want me to put your computer back to where it was before I just worked on it?"   Duh...   
Of course I had him do that, so now I am back to getting just over 900 Gbps download I don't want to do anything except to install some ethernet or network (rack) or server card replacement that will give me 2.5 or higher Gbps.

(Dell technical support has ignored my request to tell me what was written down in that regard and told me to contact their legal department if I have any complaints.)

At this point it seems their premier warranty wasn't worth what I paid for it a year ago.

November 20th, 2022 13:00

How did you upgrade your Dell XPS 8940 to 1.5 Gbps?

If I can't get Google Fiber's 2 Gbps I'd want to upgrade my desktop XPS8940 to 1.5 Gbps like you did.

"Bob"

November 20th, 2022 14:00

I am using a hard wire connection to my desktop computer, but thanks for the interest in helping.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

November 20th, 2022 18:00

@robertrentzer  -

Short answer: Dell Bcm957406a4060 Broadcom 57406 probably isn't going to work the way you want in an XPS 8940.

Long answer: That card uses a PCI-e Gen 3 x8 slot. The XPS 8940 has PCI-e Gen 3 but doesn't have an x8 slot. It has one x16 slot for an add-in video card, and the next fastest slot is the one x4 slot. Even if it can work in the x4 slot, data exchange with the motherboard won't be as fast as with an x8 slot. And that will impact overall performance.

That card is listed as compatible with Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2. No mention of compatibility with Win 10 or Win 11. So there may not be any compatible drivers...

Even if you find a compatible Ethernet card capable of faster than 900 Mbps downloads, will you realistically get that? A lot will depend on your ISP's traffic load in your area, time of day, distance to their servers, etc.

You will still have to see if the Link Speed (speed router talks to PC) can handle faster than 1000 Mbps in both directions. And that can depend on the length and quality of the Ethernet cable.  Sounds like you'll need a CAT6a or higher rated cable. A CAT6 cable is rated for up to 1000 Mbps...

FWIW, I disabled all Killer and xTend services in services.msc on my XPS 8930 (Win 10 22H2), and the E2400 Killer Ethernet in this PC works better/faster without all that stuff getting in the way. You have E2600 Killer Ethernet in the XPS 8940, but it's still only rated for 1000 Mbps (Link Speed).

November 21st, 2022 06:00

ROHE

Fantastic advice. I pay for Dell premium support and all they could (or would) tell me is that their card would fit my computer, that it might work but they would not guaranty that and saidt I should ask "sales." They provided nothing to explain their opinion thus making their premium support worthless.
Per your message I was ready to, at least, remove the "extras" to my killer card but the only thing I found in my programs was the, "Killer Wireless Driver" and I was afraid to delete that.
How do I rid myself of all the "Killer extras?"
I'd like to do to my computer which you said you did to yours in the following part of your reply to me:
"FWIW, I disabled all Killer and xTend services in services.msc on my XPS 8930 (Win 10 22H2), and the E2400 Killer Ethernet in this PC works better/faster without all that stuff getting in the way. You have E2600 Killer Ethernet in the XPS 8940, but it's still only rated for 1000 Mbps (Link Speed)."
Bob

November 21st, 2022 07:00

P.S. to RoHe:

After sending you my prior email about only finding, “Killer Wireless Driver” in my programs I went into my “services.msc.”  I did not find xTend but did find 4 Killer services, “Analytics Service,” Dynamic Bandwidth Management,” “Network Service” and "Smart AP Selection Service."
After stopping those services and checking my speed with speedtest.net IT WENT  UP.  Now in place of being limited to 900 Gigabits per second I got 1340 Gigabits per second.  So that’s a great improvement without my fooling around with a network card that may not work.  I want to thank you for your information and will give it a kudo.  But, before I end this subject I want to ask one more question. I also noticed there was one more service I could stop.  It is a network service called, “KtmRm for Distribution Transacton Coordinator.”  Is that something I can stop too and which might increase my speed?

Bob

22 Posts

November 21st, 2022 07:00

Assuming your XPS 8940 already has the Killer AX card, your bottleneck is likely happening elsewhere.

To get past the 1 Gbps, there are several things you need to make sure you have.

-You already have 1.5 Gbps from your ISP.

-Make sure the modem or gateway that your ISP provides you has at least a 2.5Gbps ethernet port, 10Gbps one would be ideal. If your gateway only has a 1Gbps ethernet port, that is where the bottleneck is happening. (I have 1Gbps internet from AT&T, but they shipped me an old DSL modem to use as a gateway which only has 1Gbps ethernet and 600mbps Wi-Fi. Make sure you ship the modem back and request a newer model if they did this to you.)

-Use your own Router that supports 10Gbps ethernet with at least an 801.22ax 1800mbps or higher.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

November 21st, 2022 11:00

@Myforum123  - Glad to help. I did say Killer internet works better/faster without all that extra stuff running.

My comment about xTend services is based on my PC which has Killer E2400/Win 10 (but not Killer WiFi). The xTend services listed in services.msc here are used by Killer Control Panel. So I disabled them and also blocked the Killer Control Panel app from loading at boot.

I would not disable KtmRm for Distribution Transaction Coordinator. At best, I'd set it to Manual startup. That way, if something needs it, it can start so there won't be any BSODs or other failures.  It's set to Manual on my PC and currently isn't running while I'm using a wired Ethernet connection. Don't know if it will start if I switched to WiFi.

You also have to keep in mind that Tech Support is only there to help you with hardware that Dell installed in your consumer PC at the factory, and not with "after-market" hardware that you install. The card you mentioned is designed for servers and it's unlikely Dell validated it for use in any consumer desktop PC, especially one without an x8 slot and not even running a Microsoft server OS. So Tech Support can't help with those questions.

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

November 22nd, 2022 05:00

I'm on an 8940, and here are my Services and settings for the Killer card (AX1650i):

ispalten_0-1669121922779.png

Only have 400Mbps service though.

I see no throughput problems with the Killer s/w, and I do look at it occasionally. No settings other than the defaults are on it though.

No Events found!