Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

56 Posts

December 2nd, 2022 19:00

XPS 8940, is this how BIOS updates work for you?

I have a XPS 8940 that came with Windows 11 Pro. I ordered it that way.

I will check for drivers updates on the Dell website. I will find a BIOS update, so I will download and install it.

Let's say the version is 2.9. When windows starts up after I update the BIOS to 2.9, if I check the FIRMWARE, it will still say 2.8. It takes a couple weeks before the matching FIRMWARE update will show up in Windows Updates. Then I have to install it. If I let Windows Update do it, it always causes boot issues.

But let's say I don't know there is a BIOS update. Windows will update the FIRMWARE even if I haven't updated the BIOS yet. The BIOS update doesn't seem to update the FIRMWARE, and the FIRMWARE doesn't seem to update the BIOS. Is that the way it is suppose to work?

If window tries to update the FIRMWARE automatically, I always get the following boot issue. I will start up the PC and then after a short time, it will shut off and then it will restart normally. At that point I know there is a FIRMWARE update. If I go into windows updates and find the FIRMWARE and click on it, it will install. And then I restart windows and all is well. If I don't go and manually update the FIRMWARE through windows update then that boot issue will continue. I think maybe windows tries to update the FIRMWARE at startup but it is not able to.

Not sure if that's how it is suppose to work, but that's how it has worked for me from BIOS version 2.2 to 2.10, And all of that in a year's time.  Never had a PC with so many BIOS updates.

And I just watched a video from Dell about installing updates. They didn't mention the FIRMWARE part, but they did say if you are move than 2 versions behind, you need to install each BIOS update in order.

Anyway, I don't have a problem. Just wondered if this is how it is suppose to work.

I've seen on the internet where some people say that windows has updated their BIOS. They say they watch it happen. But that hasn't happened for me. Windows only updates the FIRMWARE which seems to separate from the BIOS and yet connected.

1 Rookie

• 

443 Posts

December 2nd, 2022 19:00

We should all be installing bios updates via usb drive (not to say that I haven't installed from the Dell site) and turning off UEFI updates in the bios.  It is much safer and not much extra hassle. And I hear ya about the bios updates. There seems to one just about every month or so for the 8950. Kinda ridiculous if someone were to ask me.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 2nd, 2022 21:00

@kras1 wrote:

1. and turning off UEFI updates in the bios.  It is much safer and not much extra hassle.

2. We should all be installing bios updates via usb drive

1. Agreed. That should keep them from installing via Windows-Update . They are not phones or iPads, so nobody here wants that.

2. If you mean from outside Windows, I agree there also.

However, I've had 100% success by downloading the file from support.dell.com, un-Blocking it, and executing it manually (on a fresh boot with nothing running). I did like 10 in a row on my Aurora-R6 (because it got behind while my wife used it for 5 years) and similar recently on my laptops.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-13-9310-BIOS-amp-Firmware-Updates/m-p/8247460

What is SUPPOSE to happen inside Windows is ... it just writes the firmware to the hidden UEFI-Environment area. It gets applied during next boot (outside of Windows) right after Post (while passing thru UEFI-Environment). On most Dells, after you get the Finished/Successful message, it reboots cleanly/fully once more. Basically, no firmwares (BIOS or sub-components) get flashed/written inside actual Windows .

1 Rookie

• 

443 Posts

December 2nd, 2022 22:00

I use this method of installing bios updates: https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000128928/flashing-the-bios-from-the-f12-one-time-boot-menu  I had one bios update that I installed using the Support Page that didn't go right and my bios time in task manager was quite long. Reinstalled that update using a usb and everything was normal again. It scared me enough to never trust installing bios updates from the Support Page again. LOL

1 Rookie

• 

85 Posts

December 3rd, 2022 05:00

This is indeed interesting.  I've always updated the BIOS on my 8940 (Win10) using Support Assist, currently at 2.10.0 9/14/2022 as seen in System Information.  If I go into Device Manager, under Firmware, under System Firmware, the driver says it's 2.8.0 6/8/2022.  I assumed at one time that BIOS and Firmware on the PC meant the same thing, but not so sure now.  Why am I seeing this difference?

Regarding using a USB install vs Support Assist:  is the consensus that one should perform a USB update?  does Dell recommend using USB vs Support Assist?

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

December 3rd, 2022 08:00

Can Windows 10 Update Dell Bios Automatically?  And is there a way to cancel bios update?

Yes, for more important bios updates, Dell may provide the bios update through Windows 10 updates. So please do not be alarmed if this happens.

Dell provides an easy-to-use self-installing BIOS update utility. Critical BIOS updates are also pushed through Windows Update.

Earlier versions of Windows like Windows 8.1 will not be able to update the bios automatically, so this will only occur for Dell pc preinstalled with Windows 10.

Once the bios update has been downloaded and is ready to be installed, Windows should pop-up a message similar to the image below saying the system needs to be restarted before the bios will be updated. You can see a similar message under device manager for the Firmware /System Firmware properties if checked.

redxps630_0-1670110627741.jpeg

Another message should pop-up as shown below after you close the message above asking if you want to restart now to begin the bios flash. Just select 'No' and shutdown Windows instead of restarting if you do not want to flash the bios right now.

redxps630_1-1670110660399.jpeg

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 3rd, 2022 15:00

The System Firmware version/date listed in Device Manager are for the last time a BIOS update was (force-)installed by Windows Update using a UEFI Capsule Update.

If you disable Capsule Updates in BIOS, that will prevent WU from installing BIOS updates, and that entry in Device Manager will disappear.

Just remember every time a BIOS update is installed, UEFI Capsule Updates will be re-enabled in the new BIOS, and you have to disable again. So if you see a System Firmware entry in Device Manager, that's a reminder that Capsule Updates is enabled and you should disable it again.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

December 3rd, 2022 15:00

Windows Pro can control Windows Update behavior through group policies. The easiest way to stop getting driver and BIOS updates from Windows Update is using the Local Group Policy Editor with these steps:

1. Use the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut to open the Run command.
  2. Type gpedit.msc and click OK to open the Local Group Policy Editor.
  3. Browse the following path:
    • Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
  4. On the right side, double-click the Do not include drivers with Windows Update policy.
  5. Select the Enabled option.
  6. Click Apply.
  7. Click OK.
  1. Use the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut to open the Run command.
  2. Type gpedit.msc and click OK to open the Local Group Policy Editor.
  3. Browse the following path:
    • Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Manage updates offered from Windows Update
  4. On the right side, double-click the Do not include drivers with Windows Update policy.
  5. Select the Enabled option.
  6. Click Apply.
  7. Click OK.

56 Posts

December 3rd, 2022 17:00

Thanks for the feedback. I've never seen either of those dialogue boxes that redxps630 posted above. 

So what is the purpose of the UEFI capsule update anyway?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 3rd, 2022 17:00

Just open BIOS setup by tapping F12 when you see the Dell splash screen. Look for the UEFI Capsule Update option and disable it.

You may also want to confirm that BIOS Recovery and BIOS Connect are  both enabled. Save the change(s) and exit.  The Firmware entry should be gone from Device Manager after the reboot.

UEFI Capsule Updates is a method that allows Windows Update to install BIOS updates remotely, with or without your permission. So disabling that option blocks WU from doing that, which many think is the  safer choice.

EDIT: Disabling Capsule Updates does not prevent WU from installing hardware drivers or Windows patches, so you'll still get those as they're released.

No Events found!