XPS Desktops

Last reply by 07-05-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

XPS 8940, recording will not recognize Universal Audio Interface

Hi,

I recently purchased this XPS 8940 tower for recording. I was online with a Dell rep and told him that I needed a Thunderbolt port to hook all of my interfaces up. He informed me that there was indeed Thunderbolt on this particular tower. 

Now that I have read through this forum some It is looking like this particular model does NOT have Thunderbolt and, it also looks like there's no way to add it.

I just wanted to confirm that this was actually the case before I tried to find another device. 

Thanks...B.

Replies (4)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I actually confirmed with Dell support this does NOT have Thunderbolt...

@bryan3375 wrote:

I actually confirmed with Dell support this does NOT have Thunderbolt...

Correct, only USB-C.

And since the XPS-8940 has no dedicated Thunderbolt connector on the motherboard, I really doubt you will be getting a PCIe Addin card to work in that computer.

If you feel like hacking, you can try:

https://www.mattmillman.com/why-that-thunderbolt-add-in-card-doesnt-work-properly-in-your-unsupporte...

Most Apple computers (desktops and laptops) have working Thunderbolt ports. As for Dell's, you might want to check the Precision workstations. 

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
Community Manager

Apologies for the agent making that mistake. We can see from the online XPS 8940 Setup and Specifications PDF pictures and descriptions that there is not a Thunderbolt port. We can see on the front that port #9 is USB-C/USB 3.1. The motherboard does have a PCIe x1 slot and PCIe x4 slot that could accept an add in Thunderbolt card.

Capture.JPGCapture1.JPG

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Thanks for the replies...

Chris, I spoke with Dell earlier today and they are going to send out a Thunderbolt PCI card...There is a  post above yours from Tesla1856. Who is saying I won't be able to get a PCI card to work with that motherboard.
I don't want my system to be patched together so I was just wondering if you knew why that was Tesla's thoughts on it?

Thank you!

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor