XPS Desktops

Last reply by 08-18-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
3 Argentum

XPS 8950, 12700K, Cooling and PSU questions

I have a 5-year-old laptop that I use as a workstation. When doing image post processing, and audio/video editing, the laptop runs super-hot and slow. I use Topaz AI software when doing image processing, which is compute intensive. A lot of the time however, I am just running productivity apps. I don't do gaming.

I plan to get an XPS 8950, but I have some practicality and cost questions about my purchase. I like the 12700K, not just for the processing power, which I could use at times, but if I understand correctly, the K version comes with a good air-cooling unit which makes it cost-effective. The Nvidia 3060 seems like a good GPU for my purposes. Given that processor, cooling and GPU, I was wondering if the stock 460w PSU would work well? I ran the specs on the PS Calculator site, and it appears to cover the bases, especially since my actual CPU/GPU utilization is not sustained at a high level.

I fully realize that the 750w would provide overhead, and it's often the default suggestion from enthusiasts. From a practical standpoint however, is there evidence that many of the Dell owners of the K variant, a GPU and a stock PSU are having PSU issues? Just trying to see this situation from more than just one perspective.

TIA for your thoughts on this.

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
3 Zinc

The cost to go from 460w to 750w is $50 . . . and the cost to go to 1000w is an additional $50. With regard to practicality, since the PSUs are proprietary, whichever you get with your original purchase you are essentially stuck with for life.

View solution in original post

Replies (11)
3 Zinc

The cost to go from 460w to 750w is $50 . . . and the cost to go to 1000w is an additional $50. With regard to practicality, since the PSUs are proprietary, whichever you get with your original purchase you are essentially stuck with for life.

Good point.  There's also the extra cost of needing to include a DVD drive, which I don't need, for another $50.

Am I correct to say that the fan/cooler that comes stock with the 12700k doesn't need to be immediately upgraded, unlike the non-k version?

The air cooler that comes with the "K" processors is better than the air cooler that comes with the non "K" processors. Whether it needs upgrading will depend on your usage regime.

Got it.  Thanks for that confirmation.

The optional liquid cooler that can be selected with the 8950 works better than the premium air cooler but it has more noise at idle and low work loads. If you are editing videos I would get it. I would also get the 1000W PSU. I wish they had that option when I bought mine, having said that, I have the 750W and a 3060Ti and have not had any power issues.

@kras1 

Thanks for that excellent insight.  I appreciate it.

Something like this could also be a cooling solution; the chassis are very similar

Aurora r13 240mm rad.JPG

8 Platinum

@billyjk wrote:

I plan to get an XPS 8950,

I like the 12700K, The Nvidia 3060 seems like a good GPU for my purposes.

1. Given that processor, cooling and GPU, I was wondering if the stock 460w PSU would work well?

All that is fine. Nvidia RTX-3060 is nice. It's like a slightly-slower RTX-3070, which is a slightly-slower RTX-3080. So, still very-nice.

Get the biggest Power-Supply they offer (so, no matter what you are doing, PS utilization stays low and cool)

Get the liquid-cooling for the i7-12700k . If not offered get the advanced-air/fan (ie the best one) . If you decide to get the Intel-i9 that for-sure needs the liquid-cooler.

NVMe-SSD for C-drive (and all other drives SSD as well).

Get all the memory you need now. 16-GBx2 DIMMs would be good as it should run as 32-GB in Dual-Channel.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.

Wow!

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor