Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

21 Posts

September 23rd, 2022 05:00

XPS 8950, Ethernet, slow uploads

XPS 8950

XPS 8950

I get consistent downloads around 950mbps but uploads are always around 210mbps. The pc is connected directly to Arris router provided by Frontier FIOS. The router reports the two speeds to be roughly the same. A second Win10PC connected to a separate port gets almost the same speeds both up and down around 950mbps. The 8950 has the  Killer E3100G 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet Controller with driver version 1125.8.515.2022 installed. The system has the Killer Ethernet Performance Driver Suite UWD installed. Dell Support reports the drivers to be up to date for the Win11 Pro system. 

Any ideas appreciated

KentM

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 23rd, 2022 09:00

Well, those are crazy high speeds. That bandwidth is to allow multiple concurrent high-speed end-points and some 4K/Atmos movie steaming missed-in.

This is what my wired-gigabit-ethernet Aurora-R6 gets on Spectrum cable. It is considered good.

SpeedTest.net 9-23-2022 
350 Mbps DL (96 ms DL-latency)
11 Mbps UL (96 ms UL-latency)
22 ms Ping (Idle latency)

If you really want to spend time/effort on trying to get it to go faster ...
a. First, be sure it's not the CAT-6 (or better) ethernet cable
b. Try re-config of Killer drivers and services in Killer Control-Panel
c. Turn-off most-or-all features/services in Killer Control-Panel
d. Uninstall all existing Killer drivers and Apps and use whatever Windows-11 tosses you.

For "Try re-config of Killer drivers and services in Killer Control-Panel" above

... be sure to try Turning-off Auto-Bandwidth by setting to Manual with 950 down and 950 up . 

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 23rd, 2022 12:00

@merkelck  - Agree with @Tesla1856, disable all Killer and xTend services in services.msc and any Killer items listed on Startup tab in Task Manager.

You don't need any of those running. Killer services can limit upload traffic in favor of downloads, assuming downloading is more important (eg, so no stuttering in vids or audio streams) than how long it takes to upload a file to a server somewhere...

FWIW, Killer Ethernet works better on my XPS 8930 when all those services and processes are disabled.

EDIT: You may also want to disable all "Dell" services in services.msc to see if that helps too.

21 Posts

September 23rd, 2022 06:00

Yes, I think I can rule out the router as well as the provider. 

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

September 23rd, 2022 06:00

@merkelck This article list several causes of slow uploads: https://spacehop.com/why-is-my-upload-speed-so-slow/

You can probably rule out your router as the cause.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 23rd, 2022 17:00

@merkelck  Here's another question for you... Are you sure your internet connection is "symmetrical", meaning it offers the same download and upload speeds?

Most of providers won't tell you their systems aren't symmetrical. They make loud noises about how fast their download speed is, without saying their upload speed will be slower.

My ISP actually advertises that their FiOS service is "guaranteed 100% symmetrical", but I never see symmetrical speeds when I test down/uploads using fusion connect's speed test site. My upload speeds are typically ~25% slower than downloads. My ISP always has an excuse for the difference and ends the discussion with "We'll look into it". They never get back to me and the speed differences don't change...

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

Glad you got it sorted...

About the only thing we can definitely say about those Killer internet services/apps is that they kill things....

21 Posts

Thanks to you both for the ideas. Your shared idea of disabling the Killer services did the trick.  I disabled four services that I found. restarted the PC and am now getting consistent speeds that I knew were there all along. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 24th, 2022 10:00

@merkelck wrote:

1. Thanks to you both for the ideas. Your shared idea of disabling the Killer services did the trick.  I disabled four services that I found. restarted the PC

2. and am now getting consistent speeds that I knew were there all along. 

1. Glad you got it working.

2. To others reading ...

I've found that if you simply uninstall Intel Killer Performance Suite from Control-Panel/Programs-Features, and then reboot ...  all the Killer/xTend Services were also properly uninstalled. The base ethernet Network Interface Card drivers are left in place and the NIC still works fine (actually, usually better than before as it's a leaner/simpler configuration).

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 24th, 2022 17:00

Not quite. that simple..

Next time Windows Update force-installs an "Intel Corporation - Extension" chances are it may be a Killer software update (Intel owns Killer now).

And every time one of those Extensions gets installed on my XPS 8930, all the Killer/xTend services I previously disabled in services.msc magically get reset to Automatic startup.  Windows Reliability Monitor shows that Killer software and drivers were installed on same date that "Extension" was installed.

The last go round only fixed a bug in Killer Intelligence Center, but Device Manager says the same Killer Ethernet driver that was already installed here (v9.0.0.50) got installed on the date that Extension was installed.

@merkelck if you suddenly notice upload speeds are slow again, check to see if all the Killer/xTend junk is still disabled, or not... It's a game of whack-a-mole...

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

April 9th, 2024 09:02

I have been troubleshooting all my equipment for hours to resolve poor ethernet performance, I came across this and have found that the Killer software appears to have been the culprit for my very slow ethernet performance.

After removing all the Killer software, my Dell system's ethernet is now running literally 10 times faster.

Interested to know if this is a fault or incompatibly with this software with Windows 11.

I can say, as the software name states, it is a Killer of performance.

No Events found!