Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 2nd, 2022 16:00

XPS 8950, cables needed for second internal hard drive

I have an XPS 8950 on order that will be delivered soon.  It is configured with a 2TB SSD plus 2TB hard drive and a 750w power supply.  I plan to install a Crucial 2.5" MX500 SSD into the second internal drive bay.

I have a 2.5" to 3.5" drive tray--a rubbery thing from eBay.  I gather the 8950 will not come with either a power cable or data cable for the second internal HD. 

Can someone please tell me what cables I'll need--power cable and data cable?

Thank you.

John

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

December 2nd, 2022 17:00

It does come with at least two sata power cables for more than one hdd. No worries you should have what you need (sata power) already laid out in case for you.  sata data cable is standard.  If not included, you can use any sata III data cable.  See pic below there is factory default sata power to upper left n right hdd bay

redxps630_0-1670029758358.jpeg

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

This adapter looks like will work as it allows 8950 factory 90 angled sata power connector to go through the pull loop to be connected to 2.5” ssd.92610200-57B4-4723-9220-0BBE1D5A0640.jpeg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-to-3-5-Bay-SSD-Flex-Hard-Drive-HDD-Mounting-Bracket-Adapter-Dock-Tray/383171483350?

Yep.  I think it will work just fine!

(I see that you included the eBay link in your message.  For some reason I got an error message when I tried that.  Hmmm.)

Thanks!

redxps630,

Thank you for the quick reply.  I was assuming/hoping the power cable would be there, and you confirmed that it is.  Great.  I have a couple of SATA data cables, so I should be in good shape.

As an aside, I chatted with Dell sales a few minutes before posting here, and the guy had almost no idea what I was asking about.  He thought I was referring to the system power cable.  Ugh.  Thank goodness for these forums and helpful members like you.

John

1 Rookie

• 

443 Posts

With your drive tray, make sure you are getting everything you need. When I got my 2.5 SSD adapter,  it connected to the larger 3.5 HDD bracket that held the HDD. I didn't care because I was taking the HDD out, but you might wanna make sure you are getting the whole unit that slides into the drive bay and not just the adapter that fits into the 3.5 HDD bracket... and adding a second NVMe drive is an easy upgrade as well. As redxps630 stated, there is SATA power but you will need a somewhat long SATA data cable to make use of the empty drive bay.

kras1,

Thank you.  Actually, the 2.5" SSD adapter is coming in a couple of days.  From the eBay description, I think it will be fine.  I tried to copy the eBay link, but the forum won't let me.  The listing is for "2.5" to 3.5" Bay SSD Flex Hard Drive HDD Mounting Bracket Adapter Dock / Tray"  The item is orange rubber.

John

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

December 3rd, 2022 10:00

One xps8950 user said about sata data cable: it needs to be about 50/60cm in length.  18” is a bit short of 50 cm. not sure if it might be long enough.  also be careful of right angle orientation as only one type fits 8950.  one cable I suggested to user was Dell DP/N M8865, 23” 55 cm right angle to straight.  If you find some cable like that it would be fine too, does not have to be that cable as long as length is 50-60 and 90 degree angle is correctly oriented 

redxps630_1-1670093848724.jpeg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/111409076485?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391718096722?

December 3rd, 2022 10:00

One more (quick) question:  Is an 18" SATA III cable long enough?  It looks like the SSD end of the cable can be either 90-degrees or straight.

This looks good to me:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TB5QBPK/

Thanks!

December 3rd, 2022 13:00

Thank you, redxps630.  I just ordered the first cable you suggested.

4 Posts

February 27th, 2023 09:00

Anyone thinking of adding a second 3.5" HDD (rather than a 2.5" one) needs to be careful. 

The Dell HDD caddy mounts the disks upside down.  This means you need a Left Handed 90° angled SATA cable, and these are pretty hard to find. It's fine for the supplied disk, but you'll need a second one for a second HDD.  There isn't enough room in the case for a straight connector, and not enough room at the top of the disk caddy to run a 90° right-handed SATA cable up and along the top of the disk. 

The only cable I have been able to find 'easily' is an 18" one from StarCom.  Just ordered it from Amazon, and hoping it will be long enough to run to the motherboard without hanging loose in the case.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

February 27th, 2023 10:00

Multiple users reported this 30” third party cable works well in XPS 8950.  It has good review on Amazon as well.  SataGear 30in Red SATA Device Cable Straight to Left Angle

R-SS-075MSL

"Works well in my Dell XPS 8950
The expansion slot for a second SATA HDD in the Dell XPS 8950 is on the far top left of the case. And it requires a left angle SATA cable with a 90 degree angle. The length of this cable was perfect, it ran easily from the lower right side of the case to the top left and you can fit these in the built in cable control within the case. I bought other SATA cables from other brands and none of them had the right reach.

This is the perfect configuration for the second HDD for a Dell XPS 8950 desktop. It has the correct 90 degree angle, and is long enough to easily secure it out of the way. The only tricky part is pushing the little blue button that allows removing a plastic housing hiding the motherboard end of sata connection. Don't know why Dell doesn't ship this with the machine but they don't and this is the only cable I found that seems to work

I wanted to add a third drive (already have SSD & Hard drive) to my XPS 8950, and was disappointed to see that Dell chose to require a non-standard, left-angle SATA cable. Also weird that they don't have any to ship. The cable is the perfect length, and works fine. It has no locks, but it fits snugly, and it's not going anywhere. All in all, a great purchase, but I wish it was available in black.

Perfect for adding 2nd hard drive to Dell XPS 8950 Desktop
Installed this in my Dell XPS 8950 desktop and it works perfectly. It's long enough to route the cable neatly inside the chassis. The left angle connector is what you need for the Dell XPS 8950 desktop."
No Events found!