Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 17th, 2022 05:00

how to control dell automated updates

So, I've had this problem before of all of Dell's included "automatic, we take care of you software" acting more like malware. Designated tasks were automatically performed and deleted things I didn't want deleted. It didn't ask or give me options. It just ran. I uninstalled that program.

Today, Dell gave me a notice that it updated my bios and asked if I wanted to reboot. Be still my heart! Dell actually asked first. Wow. Of course, asking now when I have very little choice, since the bios update already went through, is of limited value.

How do I get Dell programs, particularly this one (can't even say I know which it is.....) to stop acting like malware? It needs to ask BEFORE performing an update, not afterwards. If it can't do that, I'd rather uninstall it. I like to know what's happening before it happens. If Dell software can't handle that, it needs to go.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

August 17th, 2022 06:00

@monesqe You should mention when posting the XPS model you have. It has been reported in this forum that the BIOS in some Dell models has been updated through Windows Update. It has also been reported that disabling UEFI Firmware Capsule Updates in the BIOS can prevent the BIOS update but there are reports that sometimes the BIOS setting is ignored and BIOS updates can still occur.

To prevent Dell updates, you should disable the Dell Update Service in services.msc (Win key + R, then type 'services.msc' in the open dialog box, right-click 'Dell Update Service' in the Services window, select Properties, and change 'Starup type" to Disabled)

10 Posts

August 17th, 2022 17:00

My optional updates direct from Windows Updates.....

TribalHound_0-1660781831408.png

Wouldn't be so bad, but my System Info says:

TribalHound_1-1660782093647.png

So even when you already installed in your own time - Microsoft Updates wants to do it all over again.

At least under Microsoft Windows updates it's listed as Optional (for now)

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 17th, 2022 18:00

@TribalHound wrote:

My optional updates direct from Windows Updates.....

Wouldn't be so bad, but my System Info says:

So even when you already installed in your own time - Microsoft Updates wants to do it all over again.

At least under Microsoft Windows updates it's listed as Optional (for now)

Do like they said (in BIOS, disable UEFI Capsule Updates).

Yes, it will still look like that in Windows-Update (yes, I've seen it also). It might even show in the Windows-Update History. But don't worry, it will not actually install.

Sidenote: You will definitely know if you get a BIOS/Firmware Update (hint, they get automatically installed on next reboot). It happens in the UEFI-Environment (outside of Windows).

No Events found!