Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

T

11 Posts

October 19th, 2020 03:00

XPS 13 9300, battery drains to 0% when asleep

When I leave my XPS on battery overnight, I find that it has crashed and the battery is 0%. I have it set to sleep after 4 minutes and hibernate after 30 mins. It does go to sleep but the battery continues to drain. I have run a sleep report which highlights problems but in all honesty I do not understand the report. In the power options there is not one to stop processes from waking the laptop. When in sleep the battery drain seems surprisingly fast. Am I alone with this?

• 

25.1K Posts

October 19th, 2020 03:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

• 

16.7K Posts

October 19th, 2020 04:00

Tudorman,

When the system is in sleep mode it is still ON and will drain the battery.  Leave the adapter plugged in overnight so it will not drain.

Read through = FAQ Modern Standby

(edited)

October 20th, 2020 03:00

Hi @Tudorman ,

In case that you have recently updated to Windows 10 2004 (May Update), have a look at this thread here:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9570-Sleep-Issue-is-back-with-Windows-10-2004/m-p/7662544#...

When sleeping properly (so called S3 state, that has been eradicated by DELL/Microsoft for the 2004 update) there shouldn't be any fans spinning or any temperature developing (and therefore also only very slight battery drainage - maybe 5% over night). Make sure that as long as you haven't gotten the S3 state back, to NOT PUT your laptop in a casing or a bag for transport when in that state, since it might cause damage through overheating! Also running the battery down to 0% is detrimental to the battery's lifespan. When transporting the laptop, you can always shut it down, but I do absolutely understand how bothersome that can be.

42 Posts

October 27th, 2020 11:00

@DELL-Cares 

My DELL XPS 13 9300 is also draining battery more than usual during sleep state. 

It used to consume about 3-5% overnight in sleep mode (about 9h), and now it's been consuming about 30-32% overnight (about the same 9h).

I did a battery report and sleep report. The laptop stays the 9h in the state "Connected Stand By" (as per report; that also confirms the information of 32% consumption in the 9h window). I remembered that in the past (maybe a long time ago with other XPS models maybe) seeing "Modern Standby" instead of "Connected Standby". But I don't think it's an issue, because a few weeks ago it was also "Connected Standby" and it was consuming only 3-5% battery overnight.

I'm using BIOS 1.2 and Windows 10 20H2 (Oct-20 update).

When I did the sleep report, I realized that during these "overnights", there were 2 processes that were 100% Active Time (100%), so I'm assuming they could be the reason for the 30% battery drain:

- Intel PCI Express Root Port #16 34B7 -> Realtek PCI Card Reader

- Intel Smart Sound Technology SST Audio Controller \_SB.PCI0.HDAS

By the way, It's also strange why it didn't hibernate, as the setting is set to auto after 5% drain (and it was working a few weeks ago):

HIBERNATE SETTINGS
HIBERNATE ENABLED YES
HIBERNATE TIMEOUT 2147483647
HIBERNATE BUDGET [percentage of battery] 5

Any thoughts or ideas on how to solve this and go back to acceptable 3-5% drain overnight?

Thanks

Rodrigo

186 Posts

October 28th, 2020 02:00

It should be a battery problem. Check it with 360 hardware master. See how much the battery is depleted, you can correct it.
There is also the problem of battery maintenance. It is best for the battery to keep the battery power at about 30%-40%.
If you are at home, you don’t need to put the battery on it. Remove the battery and use it once a month.

2 Posts

October 30th, 2020 08:00

I have the same issue with my 2.5 year old XPS 9370. It discharges to 0% overnight and won't turn on until I connect it back to power. My overall battery health is at 86% and this issue doesn't happen when I shut the system down completely. The only help I've gotten from dell is "make sure you close all your applications" or "use hibernate mode". Hibernate mode does nothing to fix it. I always close every applications before closing the lid. There's no reason for a laptop to discharge 80% of its battery overnight doing absolutely nothing.

11 Posts

October 30th, 2020 09:00

Are you saying that even if it goes into hibernate, the battery still runs down

Have you tried looking at a Sleep Study Report to see if something is stopping sleep and/or hibernate?

1 Message

November 29th, 2020 10:00

The root cause of battery drainage is from the wifi continue to run even the laptop is on standby.  The battery will drain about 5% every time it goes to standby.  if you set your laptop to airplane mode first, the battery does not drain.  DELL need to fix this issue.  this is really unacceptable.  

11 Posts

December 2nd, 2020 01:00

Why not change your power settings so that the XPS goes to hibernate?  No power used while in hibernate

So I have it go to sleep after 10 mins of inactivity and hibernate after 30 mins.  Also hibernate if I close the lid.

This solved both battery run down and also occasional BSOD while asleep overnight

December 2nd, 2020 05:00

Have you disabled "stay connected to network while asleep" in the power and sleep settings?

Also, when I first got my 9300 I had found this dell article that suggested another way to disable wifi during sleep.  In Device Manager, find your network adapter (Killer AX1650 for me), under the Advanced tab there are two property settings.

1. Wake on Magic Packet
  2. Wake on Pattern Match

The article recommended disabling both of these to stay disconnected in modern sleep. FWIW, here is my recent sleep report:

Capture - Copy.JPG

Specs: 9300, i7, 16gb, 1 TB WD SN730, UHD, Bios 1.2.0, all latest Windows Updates

March 6th, 2021 18:00

The same problem has been bugging me since the first day I got the 9360. It still drains the battery to 5% overnight if not plugged in. 

Let me tell you guys. I tried to find a solution in the past years and none of them worked. The only way is to always shut down the computer. Don't waste your time searching for a fix. I assume it's a design flaw. 

And I suggest no to get an extended warranty. I have Dell's four-year warranty and my 9360 is still covered under warranty but Dell won't fix the depleted battery citing they have another warranty for the battery which is the only warranty that covers the battery. Lol, they told me different things and tricked me into getting the four-year warranty. 

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

March 28th, 2021 09:00

Does disabling those two features actually SOLVE the problem of massive overheating when in sleep mode and reduce batter drain?

1. Wake on Magic Packet

2. Wake on Pattern Match

And when it awakens, WIFI will not be connected, therefore have to reconnect to WIFI again, is this right?

Thanks for your posting, it is different from the rest I have seen, and hope it can resolve the issues at hand.

FYI, I have gone into the BIOS and have turned off OS Recovery and Support Assist and have uninstalled ALL apps related to Support Assist including plugins.  

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

March 28th, 2021 09:00

I did some research on your post, and I agree it is the best thing to do in order to have the WIFI accessed remotely from anywhere.  I found a good article to support your post.  Great job here and keep up the good work!

https://www.howtogeek.com/252065/what-are-%E2%80%9Cmagic-packets%E2%80%9D-for-waking-computers/

4 Posts

May 11th, 2022 12:00

I have the same issue after the April 26 2022 BIOS update.

1 Message

December 1st, 2022 08:00

If you change your bios settings:

On computer boot up press F2 to enter bios.

Go to POST behaviour. Go to fast boot.

Change to Thorough If not selected already.

This should stop your battery draining while laptop is sleeping. Worked for me on dell xps.

No Events found!