XPS

Last reply by 10-09-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Dell XPS 13 9360 to Boots Slowly (90 Seconds) Following SSD and Battery Replacement

XPS 13 9360

I recently upgraded the SSD in my wife's XPS 13 9360 from 128GB to 500GB and replaced the battery. The system is functioning perfectly except for it takes 80-90 seconds to boot up to the login screen after shut down.

I have run "Windows Update", "Dell Update" and "Support Assist." All software and drivers are up to date, and there are no error messages. I even ran the F12 Preboot Diagnostic Test.

Any suggestions?

Replies (11)
3 Zinc

Go to task manager in Windows and then go to the startup tab and then send a screenshot.

I had previously disabled many of the apps with no improvement.

Screenshot 2022-09-25 135529.jpg

8 Platinum

@Coach800 wrote:

1. The system is functioning perfectly except for it takes 80-90 seconds to boot up to the login screen after shut down.

2. I have run "Windows Update", "Dell Update" and "Support Assist." All software and drivers are up to date, and there are no error messages.

3. good. I even ran the F12 Preboot Diagnostic Test.

1. What does that even mean? You mean it was off, and you turn it on? That's a "cold boot".

2. Yeah, I don't use any of that stuff.

3. Good.

In that screen-shot, it says your "Last BIOS Time" is 6.5 seconds. In another thread, pretty sure we decided that was the time from the Dell Logo appearing (Posting ... about a second or two after turning it on) and getting to the Login-Screen.

So, lets say 10 seconds to Login-Screen is pretty good I think. Enter your password. About another 20 seconds to load the rest of the processes and services ... that's 30 seconds total to useable Windows Desktop Environment. Not bad for a 4-5 year-old laptop.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.

It takes 90 seconds from the time I press the Power button to the Windows login screen. 

All other laptops in my home with SSD take ~10 seconds. 

It sounds like something is causing a step in the process to hang. We need more specific timing though. When you hit the power button and then get to the login screen is probably ~10/15 seconds? Then you enter in your password and it takes the remaining time?

No. Time to get to login screen is 90 seconds. 

@Coach800 wrote:

1. It takes 90 seconds from the time I press the Power button to the Windows login screen. 

2. All other laptops in my home with SSD take ~10 seconds. 

1. Gotcha

2. Yeah, same here.

- Was this a clone or clean-install?

- Windows-10 or Windows-11?

- Are you sure it was faster before?

- What is make/model of new SSD?

- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.

1. Clone
  2. Windows 10
  3. Yes. 
  4. Crucial P2 500GB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD Up to 2400MB/s - CT500P2SSD8. It replaced the OEM SK Hynix SC308 128GB M.2 2280 SSD SATA III NGFF 

1. Yeah, well could be something from before (now loading in conflict) or cloning was not quite right. Clean-install of Windows might resolve it.

2. Trying turning-OFF Fast-Startup. AFAIK, that's similar to Hibernation and troublesome sometimes.

3. What r/w speeds are you getting in Crystal Disk Mark? I wonder if it's anywhere near 2400mbs reads.

4. Looks fine ... your standard PCIe-Gen3 x4-lanes NVMe SSD.

I wonder what the actual capabilities of that slot are in the XPS 13 9360 ? Well, Crystal Disk Mark would let us know if it's current speed is a potential issue or not. Might as well run Crystal Disk Info on it as well to  double-check it's SMART-status. 

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor