Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Q

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

September 10th, 2022 22:00

Dell XPS 15 9520 Questions

I will be most likely buying this laptop.  It will be the non touch one and 1920x1200 resolution.

I notice this laptop as expensive it is, there are only 3 ports?

• Ports

1 USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C™ (with DisplayPort and PowerDelivery)
    2 Thunderbolt™ 4 (USB Type-C™) with DisplayPort and PowerDelivery
    1 3.5mm headphone/microphone combo jack

1.  I read there is 0 usb a ports.  At first I didn't even know what usb a port is but when i read about it, I always just called it a usb port.  So how would I even connect my wireless mouse, wired keyboard or port hub to it?  It does say it comes with a usb-c to usb a dongle?  So how exactly does that work?  You connect that dongle to the only usb type c port there is or something?  How many usb a ports can you connect to it then?  So you could only connect 1 only?  so you have to have a port hub then correct to connect more usb a devices like wired keyboard, wireless mouse, usb flash drive?

2.  I would be connecting 2 external monitors to it.  One would be a 32' 4k samsung monitor where i previously used a usb-c to displayport cable to it.  The other monitor is a 24' 1920x1200 asus monitor that I connected using a hdmi to dvi cable to it.  That asus monitor also has vga and display port as well.  So with the same cables I have, could I connect it to these 2 external monitors or not?  Would I need to buy an hdmi adapter?  Would i need a docking station?  I assume no issue connecting a usb-c to displayport cable to the 32' 4k samsung monitor right?  But I cannot connect the 24' asus monitor without some sort of adapter?   Could I actually connect a second 4k monitor somehow and if so, it would have to be usb-c from the laptop right?  Also how many total external monitors could I connect my laptop to without buying any adapter or dock station?

3.  There is also no ethernet port and i use it wired a lot.  So i would have to buy an ethernet adapter like the cable matters usb-c adapter right?  

Now why is a laptop this expensive not even have the most basic usb a ports?  I know things are changing like they are doing usb charging now as oppose to barrel charging but how does it not even have regular usb ports?

Also this laptop would be charging to a usb c port?  Are most laptops like this now or only a few?  Every laptop i ever used is like a barrel type of charging.  

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

September 11th, 2022 03:00

For 1 and 2, you will need adapters for USB-C to USB-A, and whatever adapter from the USB-C/Thunderbolt ports to the video input required by the monitor.  A single docking station can handle both.  Many also have wired Ethernet, so it'll take care of that as well.

Yes, the system charges through a USB-C/Thunderbolt port.

USB-A (the large rectangular one) is quickly disappearing from new systems, starting with the slim ones like this XPS you're considering.  It's large and bulky, so it's easier to design a slim system with only USB-C aboard.

Apple ditched USB-A first.  Everyone else is following their lead.  

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

September 11th, 2022 21:00

Thanks for the very long response.

Okay so there is usb c and 2 thunderbolt 4 ports.  So one of the ports, you have to use the charger for the laptop and that would be one of the thunder bolt 4 ports right?  Or could you charge your laptop with the usb c port.  Which one would be better or it doesn't matter?

Now that means you only have 2 ports left right?  So if you were to connect 2 external monitors with each of the other 2 ports, you won't have a port where you connect say a port hub to it to connect more usb devices right?  Let say you use one of the ports for a four port hub.  That port hub, let say you connect wireless mouse, wired keyboard, ethernet adapter cable... and you have an extra one that could be used whenever you connect a usb flash drive.

That would mean you only have just 1 thunderbolt 4 port available right?  So you can only connect 1 external monitor then unless you buy a dock station or another cable?  What would be the cheapest way to do this if you want to connect a 2nd external monitor whether connecting it via usb-c or hdmi to the 2nd monitor?  I don't want to spend 300 dollars for a dock station.   Also someone said even with only 1 thunderbolt4 port, you could still connect 2 external monitors if you daisy chain it?  Is that true and is that hard to do?  Would both monitor need be same size and resolution though?  What cable would you need for that?  Or you can't do it?

Because if this laptop was a barrel size charging laptop with the same 3 ports, then connecting 2 external monitors won't be an issue right?  I want to use this laptop where I can connect 2 external monitors to it... without spending hundreds for a dock station.

I had no idea usb-a is quickly disappearing.  I didn't even know it was called usb a.  I just called it usb port.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

September 12th, 2022 04:00

Look for a different model system that has a more suitable array of ports.  These do still exist, mostly from Dell's competitor Lenovo.   The X1 extreme isn't quite as thin as the XPS but the port selection is much better.

Whether you can daisy chain monitors is partly a function of the system, and partly a function of the monitors.  

I suspect if you go with the XPS, one way or another you will need a docking station.

40 Posts

September 12th, 2022 10:00

I have an XPS 15 9510 that I purchased about six months ago.  I also purchased a WD19TB docking station with it.  The docking station plugs into a single USB C thunderbolt port and provides power to the XPS.  I have set the BIOS to the AC setting to help preserve battery life.  The docking station includes multiple ports for peripherals.  (including USB A ports)  I have an external monitor, mouse, keyboard, Bose speakers, multiple external hard drives, and ethernet cable all hooked up to the docking station.  It all works in seamless fashion:  I simply set the laptop in its cradle (which raises it off the desktop surface for better cooling) and plug in the single docking station USB C connector.  When I'm ready to use the laptop as a desktop, I push the power button on the docking station and the XPS powers up and all the peripherals work the same as if they were plugged into the computer itself.  Usually I just leave the laptop closed and use the external monitor.  If I need to use the system as a laptop and take it with me elsewhere, I power it down and disconnect the single connection and voila my system is ready to travel.  If I will be traveling for an extended time, I change the BIOS battery charging setting to "Adaptable" to better configure charging for portable laptop usage.  

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 12th, 2022 16:00

@quickguide01 wrote:

1. I will be most likely buying this laptop.

2. It will be the non touch one and 1920x1200 resolution.

1. Oh yeah, cool.

2. So what is your thinking there?
a. You think with non-touch it might be matte? I don't know that it is.
b. With all those nice monitors (and used mainly on your desk) ... you won't be using the internal display much anyway? I can see that.
c. At a small 15 inches, the 1920x1200 resolution (about 1080p) is good enough? Possibly.
d. Trying to save money? I figure it's already pricy so why not build it the way your really want it. 

It's a powerful laptop, so I like having a nice display (it's very pretty). 

The brightness and colors are good, as are the viewing angles. It's Touch, but I never touch-it. Sure, it's glossy with the Touch-layer, but the Anti-Reflective treatment really helps it not be so "mirror like". It's very close to the Retina-class screens on the Apple MacBook Pros. It's like a screen from a mobile-phone (except much bigger). In Windows-11, the Windows Scaling works fine on modern programs and apps. You just turn-up the Scaling until the text is not too small the read any more.

Maybe go to a local store and view it with one-or-the-other (display panels)?

Mine came like this:

XPS-15 (9520) - Intel i7-12700H, 32GB-DDR5, 512gb-NVMe-SSD
- Intel Iris-Xe Graphics (on-board IGP)
Nvidia Geforce RTX-3050 Laptop GPU 
15.6in UHD+ LCD (3840x2400 60Hz Touch Anti-Reflective 500nit )

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 12th, 2022 17:00

@quickguide01 wrote:

XPS-15 (9520)

I notice this laptop as expensive it is, there are only 3 ports?

I would be connecting 2 external monitors to it.
- 32" 4K Samsung monitor
- 24" 1920x1200 asus monitor (hdmi )

There is also no ethernet port and i use it wired a lot.  So i would have to buy an ethernet adapter like the cable matters usb-c adapter right?  

Now why is a laptop this expensive not even have the most basic usb a ports? 

The idea is you buy an external adapter-box or hub. I bought this (popular, name brand) one, but I think Dell makes some nice ones also.

So, with something like this on only one port, you can have USB-A flash drives, external USB-3.0 drives, printers, wired ethernet. You can probably even put that 24inch-HDMI monitor on it.

The 32" Samsung 4K monitor, I would probably connect directly to the XPS-15. 

The final port might be best used by the included 130w AC-Adapter. It's really just whatever works for you.

Oh, and I hardly ever use the wired ethernet as the WiFi is very fast if you have a recent router with 5g Access-Point (I use a Netgear NightHawk that is a few years old). Because of that, (and stuff like cloud storage) ... I mostly end-up running it without the adapter even attached.

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

September 22nd, 2022 12:00

Okay so I purchased the dell xps 15 9520 but haven't received it yet.  

Windows 11 pro

i7-12700h

32gb ddr5 ram

1tb ssd

1920x1200 resolution

nvidia 3050

86 watt battery

1.  Would you say it is good idea to max everything since I plan to use this laptop for a long time?  I picked windows 11 pro because i want to use bitlocker.  Also upgraded ram to 32gb since it cost 150 dollars more.  SSD 100 dollars more for 1tb ssd.  I choose the nvidia 3050.  I want 1920x1200 resolution because I want the longest battery possible.  But I will be plugged into 2 external monitors almost always.  However, do want a longer battery.  So good idea to max everything now right?  

2.  I see that dell will ship it with 2 cables.  One is a usb-c to usb a adapter and the other is a usb-c to hdmi adapter?  Is that correct?    But is this even useful for me in my case?

3.  My old xps 9550 laptop that I currently use.  I connect 2 external monitors.  One is 32' 4k samsung monitor that uses usb-c to displayport.  The other is a 24' 1920x1200 monitor that uses hdmi to dvi.  Thus with this laptop, I never had to use a dock at all and I could 2 monitors.  Now with the usb ports... there are 2 usb a ports on the dell xps 9550.  One of the ports, I plug in my wireless mouse usb.  The other port... i connect a sabrent four port hub that connects

Wired Keyboard

Cable Matters Ethernet Adapter - I use this to get wired internet

The other 2 ports would be have usb flash drive and something else.  So that is enough usb a ports.

Now because the xps 9520  has just 1 usb c port and 2 thunderbolt 4 ports... how am I suppose to connect the same things on my old laptop?  

So 1 port will be used for the laptop charging cable.  Then I should buy something like this to connect 2 external monitors like below?  This seem to be a cheaper option but it can do 4k up to 60hz so this is what I want?

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Plugable-DisplayPort-Monitor-Adaptador-compatible/dp/B08F2SZQYX/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=plugable+4k+displaylink&qid=1663823004&sprefix=plugable+4k+display+%2Caps%2C2083&sr=8-1

Then the last thunderbolt 4 port I have.. wouldn't I need a usb-c port hub that has usb a ports so I could connect wired keyboard, cable matters ethernet adapter, wireless mouse... and have one more usb a port for like usb flash drive etc?  Thus isn't my old sabrent usb four port hub useless since the laptop doesn't have a usb a port?  Or is that cable dell provides what could connect it?

Now is there any dock station that solves all these issues that doesn't cost a lot?  Because that plugable 4k cost 120 dollars+tax.  Then I need to buy another cable matters ethernet adapter that is about 20 dollars max.  Then I need a usb-c to usb a port hub to connect all my usb a devices?  I do see Dell does sell these 2 docks

Visiontek VT 4000 USB Dual 4k Docking Station - $200

Dell Docking Station - USB 3.0 (D3100) - $161

I assume these won't work and would need like a $400 Dell Dock?  I am looking for the best and cheapest option to basically have same devices connected to this new 9520 like with my old 9550.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 22nd, 2022 13:00

@quickguide01 wrote:

0. Okay so I purchased the Dell XPS-15 (9520) but haven't received it yet.  

i7-12700h
32gb ddr5 ram
1tb ssd
1920x1200 resolution
nvidia 3050
86 watt battery
Windows 11 Pro

1a.  Would you say it is good idea to max everything since I plan to use this laptop for a long time? So good idea to max everything now right?  

1b. I picked windows 11 pro because i want to use bitlocker.  Also upgraded ram to 32gb since it cost 150 dollars more.  SSD 100 dollars more for 1tb ssd.  I choose the nvidia 3050. However, do want a longer battery.  

1c. I want 1920x1200 resolution because I want the longest battery possible.  But I will be plugged into 2 external monitors almost always.  

2.  I see that dell will ship it with 2 cables.  One is a usb-c to usb a adapter and the other is a usb-c to hdmi adapter?  Is that correct?    But is this even useful for me in my case?

0. Looks good, nice config

1a. Yes.

Not sure why some people like to punish-themselves by saving a few dollars on a major purchase. Then go on this long-road to upgrades (that may or may-not work) and sometimes even end-up spending the same money anyway. Definitely more time and effort. Life is short. Get the computer nicely built and start using it and enjoying it.

1b. All good reasoning and good selections

1c. Ok, I suppose I can understand where you are coming-from there. I thought it might be something like that, so no problem.

2. So, I would suggest you wait until you get the laptop (and any included accessories) and see how you like it. You can go ahead and hook-up at least some stuff. Between looking around now (and reading reviews) and then actually having the laptop and spending some time with it ... I think you will have a better idea of what Dock or smaller adapters you want to buy to finish it off.

I say that because you already have a pretty good grasp of how it all works already. However, I would not be in a rush to buy anything else right yet. What do you think about that idea?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 22nd, 2022 13:00

@quickguide01 wrote:

Thus isn't my old sabrent usb four port hub useless since the laptop doesn't have a usb a port?  Or is that cable dell provides what could connect it?

So, when we started beta-testing these XPS laptops (with only the smaller USB-C and/or Thunderbolt ports) a few years ago ... I told Dell that they really should toss an inexpensive adapter into the box, as it would be very helpful to the new owners.

Something like this. So, looks like they listened. Like, in the beginning ... it's nice to be able to use a conventional flash-drive. I'm thinking this is what you might get in the box. If not, you can get them for less than $10 and I think every owner should have one in their laptop-bag.

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, you could connect your (hopefully self-powered) Sabrent USB Hub to the XPS with something like that.

The next-step up from that is something like this. This is the one I use here for all my recent-model XPS laptops. It also worked on some MacBooks. This is from a "real" company (similar to Sabrent). Skip all the no-name chinese-stuff. Dell also makes some nice ones.

From there, they just get bigger and better. There are companies that make actual Thunderbolt 3/4 Hubs for use with Apple-Macs. I'm also starting to see nice new monitors with "hubs" built-in, so that might be an option for some people.

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

September 22nd, 2022 21:00

Thanks for the response.  Yea I shouldn't buy anything else until I get the xps 9520.

So that dongle that Dell will send with it, they are sending 2 dongles right?  One is a usb-c to usb a dongle.  The other is a usb-c to hdmi dongle?  So with the usb-c to usb a dongle... use my old sabrent usb four port hub.. and with that, I can connect my wireless mouse, wired keyboard etc to it like how most laptops are when connecting that to a regular usb port on a laptop?

So the only thing I would need to buy would be that plugable dock which would allow me to connect 2 external monitors?  The reason being since the 1 usb-c port on this laptop will be used for charging the laptop.  The 1st thunderbolt 4 would be used for the usb-c to usb-a dongle with the usb sabrent four port hub.  And because of that, I only have 1 just available thunderbolt 4 port and I need that to connect 2 external monitors?  But if i only wanted to connect just 1 monitor... if it was usb-c no issue with that.  But if i wanted to connect via hdmi, then that dongle would solve the issue?

So had this laptop contained just either 1 of these things below

Barrel Size Charging where you use a barrel charger

or

HDMI Port

Or

Another thunderbolt 4 port

or

Just 1 USB A Port

Then I could actually connect 2 external monitors without having to buy some sort of dock?

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

September 25th, 2022 20:00

Are you telling me the link you posted of this below with the anker hub is all i need to connect 2 external monitors up to 4k and 60hz?  So I wouldn't even need to buy that $120 plugable dock?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087QZVQJX?ie=UTF8&psc=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=quadcopterobo-20&linkId=021584cbff2334bd536178c3c2dcfbc2&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

No Events found!