Unsolved

JC

2 Posts

January 18th, 2023 10:00

Dell XPS 15 9520

XPS 15 9520

XPS 15 9520

Hi Dell,

I have a query concerning my Dell XPS 15 9520 laptop. I have noticed reccently that the laptop is not as fast as it used to be and it has started to heat up more often. It takes slightly longer to open applications and the computer processing seems to be slightly slower.  I only bought my laptop about 5 months ago, I am not sure what to do. Do you have any solutions for me? Should I possibly uninstall some applications or physically take out the battery and place it back in again after a while?

Kind Regards

JP Coyle

14 Posts

January 18th, 2023 10:00

@JP Coyle wrote:

Hi Dell,

I have a query concerning my Dell XPS 15 9520 laptop. I have noticed reccently that the laptop is not as fast as it used to be and it has started to heat up more often. It takes slightly longer to open applications and the computer processing seems to be slightly slower.  I only bought my laptop about 5 months ago, I am not sure what to do. Do you have any solutions for me? Should I possibly uninstall some applications or physically take out the battery and place it back in again after a while?

Kind Regards

JP Coyle

What are your start up apps? Do you know how to check?

Open up task manager, and see what's in use.

Open up MyDell app, and change the Power Management to max performance.

How much free space do you have left on your drive?

I can ask more questions, but we can start with that.

1 Rookie

• 

45 Posts

January 22nd, 2023 10:00

Dell recently released an updated BIOS for XPS 15 and 17. It contains the updated Intel microcode, which not only blocks undervolting, but adjusts the V/F curve and decreases the performance. In my case, the performance drop is pretty significant - 17%. You may find more details here: XPS 17 - Severe performance degradation after BIOS upgrade 

• 

16.7K Posts

January 26th, 2023 03:00

JP Coyle,

Have you ran the EPSA diags as well as running the Support Assist app to check the system for issues?  If not,  do so and if any issues show up click on the Get Help Now icon to the right of this thread for support.

1 Message

January 31st, 2023 12:00

JP

Have same issue as you. XPS 15 9520 series. Windows 11 22H2. Right after the New Year, I observed and immediate slow down in performance: Cold Start to Splash Screen, 4 minutes. Computer Login, another 4 minutes. I noticed that Microsoft release recent updates, so I backed off these updates from my system.

* Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB5019980)
* Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB5021255)
* Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB5022303)
* Update for Microsoft Windows Windows (KB5020880)

I wish I had a "restore point" around the time of 12/12/2022, because that was when my system would go from Cold Start to Splash screen in under 30 seconds. But as it stands, it's around 45 seconds to a minute. Logging in is much better, another minute.

I tried stopping/disabling Windows Updates in services.msc, but I noticed that two of the Windows updates listed snuck back in waiting for me to install them.

My next step is using a registry key to see if this will prevent any Windows Updates from downloading or installing, until either Dell or Microsoft corrects this issue.

Here is what I am going to try as far as a registry edit.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
"NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000001

Hope this might help you out.

WolfWarg

No Events found!