Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

L

3 Posts

August 26th, 2020 02:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Dell XPS 9550 F1, F2 and ~ not working (again!)

I have had my Dell XPS 9550 for four years now.

Two years ago my keyboard made some troubles, because three keys (namely F1, F2 and ~) became unreliable at first (i.e., they would only react sometimes on key press) and then stopped working completely (note: of course, I am talking about the keys at a whole, i.e., they would also not work in Fn mode to mute or decrease volume). All other keys (including F3-F12 and Esc) worked flawlessly I ordered a replacement keyboard and all keys worked again.

A week ago the issue started again, i.e., F1, F2 and ~ (and only those three keys) stopped working occasionally and now do not react at all.

It appears obvious that it is a hardware issue, because the key presses are not registered. However, I am a bit surprised that the exactly the same issue occurred again and that I did not find any other reports of this issue. This makes me ask if the issue is/was with the keyboard or with the connection to the motherboard or something else (something that I may have fixed accidentally when replacing the keyboard). I have no idea how to check that, but it is just so surprising that it is just exactly these three keys again that stopped working all of the sudden.

Did anybody experience the same issue? Do you have any suggestions for other checks / resolution attempts, apart from just ordering another replacement keyboard (which may fail again in two years).

1 Message

September 17th, 2020 01:00

I do exercise the same problem. In my opinion it have to do with the keyboard controller. What for me sometime works is to press multiple times on the F1 key till it register the key press again. After that F2 and ~ will work again for while. Dell should address this weird issue.

1 Message

November 17th, 2020 03:00

I'm having the exact same problem with the same keys. Started a few days ago. Most of the time the keys don't register. Sometimes if I'm lucky they start working again.

*Update: I think it might have something to do with the charging plug, after gently wiggling the the charging cable plug a bit, the keys seem to start working again.

December 8th, 2020 07:00

Woah... I have had this exact same issue since day one. F1, F2, and the tilde key are all dead. I've tried every test I can think of, but the keys don't ever register. I always assumed it had something to do with running linux on a dell xps or was some faulty driver. Although, this isn't surprising because it wouldn't be the first hardware issue on my 9560. The heatsink wasn't  properly attached to the motherboard so my laptop kept overheating and shutting itself off.

3 Posts

January 27th, 2021 22:00

Same issue here (on a Dell XPS 15 9570). I only noticed that F1 and ~ weren't working recently, but for a while, I had noticed that F2 didn't work a good amount of the time. Now none of these three keys work at all.

3 Posts

January 28th, 2021 09:00

Thinking about it again, I've realized that the ~ also hasn't been working for a long time, so probably all three of them started not working around the same time.

3 Posts

February 1st, 2021 17:00

I might have this be my last message under this post, but I just wanted to report that the keys randomly started working again today. Still no clue what the cause of this issue is.

1 Message

March 21st, 2021 05:00

I have same problem(

April 8th, 2021 07:00

I have the same problem with X, S, W and F1 keys, the last one just in combination with Fn key. I tried to update the drivers as suggest, but nothing happened: I discovered that sometimes after a reboot they work fine again. I have no idea how to solve the issue.

1 Message

July 25th, 2021 14:00

Have the same exact problem with the XPS 15 7590. F1, F2, ~, and additionally Ctrl all not working. It's really frustrating. I've update bios, drivers and everything but nothing change. 

Any suggestion? It's out of warranty for a couple of months...

Thanks

August 2nd, 2021 02:00

I have exactly same problem. Dell XPS15 9570. I experienced that sometimes after a reboot they work fine again. And also high frequency pressing on F1 helps as well.

1 Message

August 24th, 2021 10:00

i have a dell xps15 9550 and I have exactly this issue too.

The F1, F2 top left apositphre keys don't work. For me also the left ctrl does not work. So good bye copy and paste!

I dual boot windows and ubuntu and I have determined it is not a software issue. 

My device is no longer under warentty. Has anyone had any luck getting this repaired? If lots of people are having the same issue it seems like a design flaw.

7 Posts

October 16th, 2021 10:00

UPD: it is not dead keys, because pressing a key quickly multiple times will eventually make it work, but for a short time only.... super weird. And it is only F1, F2 and tilde

7 Posts

October 16th, 2021 10:00

OMG, I'm not alone! I use tilde (~) quite often and noticed long ago it started working after quick multiple presses, also I use F2 to rename files in Windows Explorer and it stopped working and then I noticed F1 isn't working too. Dell XPS 7590 4K OLED display. I first thought it is some program remaps the keys but then I noticed that backlit does not light up if you press any of these keys. Definitively a hardware issue, or maybe BIOS..... Super weird. Oh, yes, and F2 pressing while booting isn't starting BIOS setup, meaning it is deeply hardware/BIOS.... Anyone has any solution? Is it broken keyboard?

7 Posts

October 16th, 2021 13:00

LOL another update: DELL XPS 7590 4kOLED touch screen. Rolled back BIOS to the very first version (1.0.0), then to version 1.10.0, then to current ver 1.12.0 testing for functionality of the keys in between the updates. They keys worked with every update. Currently still working. Just keep my fingers crossed that it won't happen again.

7 Posts

November 1st, 2021 07:00

UPD: BIOS rollback/roll forward only helped for a day... It seems the longer laptop is not rebooted the more "stuck" the keys become. Like pushing and holding tilde or high frequency tapping on the key may help after a reboot, but after few days of work they keys are "unwakeable".

And dear Dell, yes my laptop is out of warranty, but this is clearly (because so many people note exactly same keys not working intermittently) not a keyboard issue but some sort of keyboard controller/driver/BIOS issue. If you want to fix this issue for ALL Dell users, I'd be happy to provide you all details but don't contact me for a service tag just to tell me my warranty is expired.

Thank you very much.

No Events found!