XPS

Last reply by 05-31-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Dell XPS 9550 F1, F2 and ~ not working (again!)

I have had my Dell XPS 9550 for four years now.

Two years ago my keyboard made some troubles, because three keys (namely F1, F2 and ~) became unreliable at first (i.e., they would only react sometimes on key press) and then stopped working completely (note: of course, I am talking about the keys at a whole, i.e., they would also not work in Fn mode to mute or decrease volume). All other keys (including F3-F12 and Esc) worked flawlessly I ordered a replacement keyboard and all keys worked again.

A week ago the issue started again, i.e., F1, F2 and ~ (and only those three keys) stopped working occasionally and now do not react at all.

It appears obvious that it is a hardware issue, because the key presses are not registered. However, I am a bit surprised that the exactly the same issue occurred again and that I did not find any other reports of this issue. This makes me ask if the issue is/was with the keyboard or with the connection to the motherboard or something else (something that I may have fixed accidentally when replacing the keyboard). I have no idea how to check that, but it is just so surprising that it is just exactly these three keys again that stopped working all of the sudden.

Did anybody experience the same issue? Do you have any suggestions for other checks / resolution attempts, apart from just ordering another replacement keyboard (which may fail again in two years).

Replies (28)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I have the same problem with X, S, W and F1 keys, the last one just in combination with Fn key. I tried to update the drivers as suggest, but nothing happened: I discovered that sometimes after a reboot they work fine again. I have no idea how to solve the issue.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I have same problem(

I might have this be my last message under this post, but I just wanted to report that the keys randomly started working again today. Still no clue what the cause of this issue is.

Thinking about it again, I've realized that the ~ also hasn't been working for a long time, so probably all three of them started not working around the same time.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Same issue here (on a Dell XPS 15 9570). I only noticed that F1 and ~ weren't working recently, but for a while, I had noticed that F2 didn't work a good amount of the time. Now none of these three keys work at all.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Woah... I have had this exact same issue since day one. F1, F2, and the tilde key are all dead. I've tried every test I can think of, but the keys don't ever register. I always assumed it had something to do with running linux on a dell xps or was some faulty driver. Although, this isn't surprising because it wouldn't be the first hardware issue on my 9560. The heatsink wasn't  properly attached to the motherboard so my laptop kept overheating and shutting itself off.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I'm having the exact same problem with the same keys. Started a few days ago. Most of the time the keys don't register. Sometimes if I'm lucky they start working again.

*Update: I think it might have something to do with the charging plug, after gently wiggling the the charging cable plug a bit, the keys seem to start working again.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I do exercise the same problem. In my opinion it have to do with the keyboard controller. What for me sometime works is to press multiple times on the F1 key till it register the key press again. After that F2 and ~ will work again for while. Dell should address this weird issue.

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions