Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 27th, 2020 21:00

Help needed , Windows doesn'r boot after disabling Intel Rapid Storage

In order to install Ubuntu alongside Windows, I needed to disable iRST. After that,  Windows stopped booting. There was a warning about it so it's not a complain since Dell officially doesn't support dual booting. I just wander if it is somehow possible and boot Win 10 without iRST. I have a new XPS 17 2020 with 1T SSD.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 28th, 2020 12:00

@vur2759  Normally you only change that setting before reinstalling Windows (or whatever OS you want to run), since as you found, changing that setting to another state and trying to use an OS that was set up to expect it to be in a different state doesn't work.  But I've read that if you boot Windows into Safe Mode once after making the switch, you would be able to reboot normally going forward.  You just need to let Windows completely boot once in Safe Mode.  If you have trouble setting up access to Safe Mode, try switching back to RAID mode temporarily to get back into Windows, then prep for Safe Mode, then switch to AHCI, then boot into Safe Mode, then reboot into normal mode.

• 

25.1K Posts

September 28th, 2020 07:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

10 Posts

September 28th, 2020 12:00

I received a private message from Dell where they asked me to provide Service Tag to see my configuration and may be provide an assistance.

Of course, I send them the info, but I am sceptical something come out of it.

This a known problem, reported by many users ( disabling iRST make it unable to boot Windows). Disabling IrST is a prerequisite for installation Ubuntu alongside Windows

Dell knows full well that a very large amount of their customers use Dual Boot ( I did for 20 years for all my Dell boxes, latpo and desktop alike, without a problem, and was able to continue to use Windows when neeeded.

It's very sad and disappointing Dell sells their expensive flagship laptop ( XPS 17 touch screen, RTX Nvidia,1T SSD ) without providing guidance how to solve iRST/Ubuntu install issue. They could have just publish the link with clear disclaimer, that it's full customer responsibility to do so, to avoid any legal issues, even if they officially don't support dual-bbot

I'll be surprised if they get back to me, Had they had the solution, they would simply publish the link, 

10 Posts

September 28th, 2020 13:00

Hi, Thanks a lot for your reply

This is very helpful and I'll try to follow your recommendation today evening or tomorrow and let you know if I can make Windows boot alongside Ubuntu at the end.

I just installed Ubuntu couple of days ago, so if necessary, I'll remove this install completely and start from scratch, namely cancelling iRST in BIOS, boot Windows into safe mode first , then make sure Windows boot into normal mode and only after I'll attempt to install Ubuntu alongside Windows.

Best regards

P.S. If it works, I can only wonder why Dell hasn't published it 

10 Posts

September 29th, 2020 20:00

Hi jphughan!

Many thanks, just wanted to confirm it worked. Few loops of Safe Mode / Repairing etc and I have now both Ubuntu and Windows.

Best Regards!

Dell, Shame on you! Such a simple 5 min solution, and your rep hold me on the phone for nearly an hour at the end saying that Window boot will be disabled. Shame on you for treating your customer of 20 years in such a way.

February 9th, 2022 09:00

Please, can you share what path you took to get Windows back to work in normal mode?

2 Posts

July 1st, 2022 12:00

thank you!

1 Message

December 19th, 2022 22:00

Hi. Please can you let us Know how did you were able to get windows back to work? I also disabled Rapid store by switching to AHCI, that's when I started having problems to initiate windows. I tried fixing it by switching back but it won't recognize the bootable device to start windows. By switching to AHCI it enter Repairing mode or Repairing options... I am trying to recover from a backup but I am not sure that would work. What did you do to been able to initiate Windows? Thanks a lot.

No Events found!