Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

4 Posts

January 24th, 2023 23:00

XPS 13, keyboard readability

The keyboard on my new XPS13 is very difficult to read in daylight. In the dark the backlight keys are OK but during the day the back lighting is not strong enough (even on the "high" setting) and the contrast between the light grey keys and the dark grey lettering is "poor". My old XPS had black keys with bright white lettering; much better!!  I don't understand that a renowned company like Dell can produce such poor design. Don't they field test their products before hitting the market?

January 26th, 2023 06:00

I have exactly the same issue. It is a real problem in daylight. Nighttime is fine, I wonder if there is anything that one can do to improve it?

4 Posts

January 26th, 2023 13:00

I had long conversations with Dell about this. They acknowledge the issue but can't offer an (acceptable) solution; - a wireless keyboard defeats the purpose of having a portable laptop, - they could send a technician to replace the keypads on-site but very expansive option! They say it is not a technical issue but a design issue. and as such not covered under warranty. Not sure if this argument 

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

January 26th, 2023 14:00

You have 30 days from shipment to return an unsatisfactory system for any reason -- do so, and purchase a different model with a more suitable keyboard design.

4 Posts

January 26th, 2023 15:00

I thought it is 15 days. And also, I have set up the machine now and don't want to take it all off again! Still don't understand why Dell manufactures keyboards like this!?  If they were sold via a normal shopfront (not on line) I would never have bought it!

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

January 26th, 2023 17:00

For new systems in the US and many other places, it's 30 days.  Refurbished systems may have a shorter return period. 

At least in the US, the XPS 13 models are sold at retailers such as Best Buy, etc.

February 18th, 2023 07:00

I am wondering if there is some way to turn off the backlight on the keyboard during the day i.e. in bright light? The issue for me is that the letters on the keyboard automatically turn white in daylight and are unreadable?

40 Posts

February 18th, 2023 09:00

The F5 function key on your keyboard (at least on my XPS 15) allows you to cycle between various levels of keyboard brightness, including completely off. 

4 Posts

February 18th, 2023 15:00

On my XPS this can be done on the F6 key. 

February 19th, 2023 05:00

@AlfieTat and @StZill Thank you so much. I should have known that but I think that this does help greatly. It is also the F6 Key on my XPS13. Thanks for this!

1 Message

August 19th, 2023 03:07

have exactly the same issue. returned my xps and bought lenovo

3 Posts

October 22nd, 2023 21:09

@user_880c96​ May change the keyboard for black one with white lettering. Easy to do and available. But why on a new machine?

TDx

1 Message

January 17th, 2024 23:39

Yeah...just can't read/see keyboard of 9315. I have 7390 and 9305 and can read/see fine; I had expected 9315 to be the same...lo and behold it's like trying to type without any lettering/symbols on keys...completely ridiculous. The designer should be hung-"out to dry"! Returned for refund. After researching online, I started to look at HP, but then went to Costco to browse different brands in-person; HP keyboard wass not much better, and Lenovo keyboard is much easier to read/see than even HP. To user who bought Lenovo, which model did you get...presuming you selected mnodel that closely mirrors XPS13...in look/feel/specs?

1 Message

February 2nd, 2024 14:15

Hi - went onto the Dell website and find the backlight toggle above numeral 6 can be used to toggle between no, low and bright illumination. It is the low illumination in daylight that seems to give difficulties.

1 Message

February 22nd, 2024 23:14

@AlfieTat​  YES me too. thank you so much for telling us about F6 - works!

No Events found!