Start a Conversation

Unsolved

I

2 Posts

September 1st, 2021 07:00

New to the USA. How to charge my 250V dell XPS 13 laptop here? Urgent

I have tried using an adaptor plus but it's not working. Do I need a convertor? (Where to get this?) Or do I need a new charger? Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

September 1st, 2021 07:00

yaha se cable leke jani chahiye thi na     

You just need the cable not the whole adapter.

part number : 2JVNJ  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-DELL-DPN-02JVNJ-O2JVNJ-2JVNJ-3-Prong-Power-Adapter-Cable-Cord/192829832635

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

September 1st, 2021 08:00

I am in same Situation as @Isha1210 

Traveling between India and USA 

Part numbers for USA and INDIA Bricks are same.

Only part numbers for power cable is different

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@Isha1210 The US uses 110-120V and 60 Hz.  Check the specs printed on the AC adapter "brick".  Look for the "Input" line.  It should say something like 110-240V 50-60 Hz.  At least that's what my Dell power adapters that were shipped with US systems say.  If you see that, then your power adapter is "universal" and therefore you should be able to use it with a simple plug adapter.  I've taken my Dell laptops and lots of other electronics from the US to other countries, including countries that use 240V 50 Hz, and they've worked fine with simple plug adapters.  You do NOT want a voltage converter.  The cheap ones convert electricity in a way that will damage sensitive electronics.  They're only meant to be used for things like hair dryers.  And the voltage converters that can be used with sensitive electronics are quite expensive, and also large and heavy.

Also note that you cannot use surge protectors from a 220-240V country in a 110-120V country, or vice versa, because surge protectors are designed for a specific voltage.  If you need more outlets, you'll want a simple "tap" that plugs into one outlet and gives you more.  Or a basic extension cord with multiple outlets on the end.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@Isha1210  Just to clarify something that may not have been clear from above.  There is no such thing as a "250V XPS".  Dell laptops that use a barrel-style power adapter connector are designed for 19.5V delivered as DC (direct current), and Dell laptops that use USB-C are designed for voltage levels defined by USB PD (typically 15V and/or 20V for laptops), also delivered as DC.  But of course household power outlets offer 110-240V as AC (alternating current).  And that is why you have a power "brick" for your laptop rather than a simple power cord like you would see on a lamp or something that is designed to accept AC power natively.  The purpose of the "brick" portion is to convert the household 110-240V AC (alternating current) into the appropriate DC power for your system.  The vast majority of electronics use DC, which is why they have those bricks.  For lower powered electronics, the brick is built into the wall plug and is commonly called a "wall wart".  And even on desktop systems that typically use a simple power cord, you're plugging that into a power supply, which is a fairly large box inside the system that converts that AC power to DC.  But what this means is that the laptop itself isn't the concern.  The only part that matters is the voltage that can be accepted by the power brick.

2 Posts

September 8th, 2021 14:00

Found a solution guys! I just has to use an adaptor for the wall plug, and then unplug and replug the charging cable from the brick box and that did the trick. Thanks!

No Events found!