Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 3rd, 2022 14:00

Restore to local desktop

This is probably more a Windows 11 question but I do have an XPS laptop where this problem is occurring. When installing Windows 11, I was unaware that the install would be pointed at my Microsoft account based on my email address. After installing Windows 11, I restored files from my old computer to "c:\users\stutr\desktop" when I logged back in, I expected to see the files that I just restored on my desktop but they were not there. In fact, this is when I realized that I would had been  actually logging in to my Microsoft account. Searching the web I found that I could switch to a local account by using settings and selecting "log into my local my local account". So I made that switch and "created" / logged into my local account but still the files do not appear on the desktop. In fact when I log into my local account file the files on my desktop are from my Microsoft account.

5 Practitioner

• 

4.9K Posts

December 4th, 2022 14:00

For privacy, some users opted for local account when setup Windows 11.  If you prefer not to use your Microsoft log in info, you can perform a clean install using Win 11 iso image created with Rufus, select local account check box.  That is a true local account without providing any personal info to Microsoft.

With your local account as administrator, you still can log in and access to your Microsoft account(s) when you choose to.

5 Practitioner

• 

4.9K Posts

December 3rd, 2022 21:00

Or you can do it old school, copy files from old computer to a thumb drive or external drive then move them to desktop (or whichever folders) of your new PC

4 Posts

December 4th, 2022 10:00

Thanks for your reply. I've got the files on the new computer but when I login to my local account they still do not appear on my desktop. For example, the desktop folder points to my one drive and not to the local HD where the files are located. How can I keep my local account from loading / displaying files from one drive and use the files that I've stored locally on my hard drive?

5 Practitioner

• 

4.9K Posts

December 4th, 2022 14:00

It works as designed, each log in considered as a different user/person.  Unlike programs and apps whereas you can select available to all users, data is uniquely available to owner, user

To make files, data available to anyone, set the folder, drive ownership to allow sharing and security access to everyone.  Search and learn for proper procedure so you won't mess up your account.

4 Posts

December 4th, 2022 16:00

Thank you. If I download the Win11 with Rufus, is there a product key that is used to activate Win11?  My XPS laptop came with Win11. I just answered the setup questions. Is my product key available on my laptop and should I use it or do I even need a key?

5 Practitioner

• 

4.9K Posts

December 4th, 2022 18:00

The product key or Windows license is embedded in your laptop BIOS.  There is no need for the key when performing Windows installation.  That key would be used automatically for installation and activation.  No need of user intervention.

4 Posts

December 9th, 2022 10:00

This is the best solution. I've also found there is a way to change the location of the desktop files from the cloud to the local hard drive by clicking on Home and then selecting properties of one of the folders that are stored on the cloud and click on the Location tab and click "Restore Default". The path displayed should drop the "OneDrive" subfolder. Rufus is the best solution but it's best to do soon than later. I am still getting bombarded with requests to connect to OneDrive which I'm ignoring for now.

No Events found!