XPS

Last reply by 11-29-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Third party USB C hubs malfunction with XPS 9520

I have 2 different multipurpose USB C hubs. These contain USB A ports, HDMI & Ethernet & PD

When connecting one or the other, HDMI works, but the USB A port is not functioning. I cannot connect a keyboard to it. Even more, new devices via Bluetooth like a Bluetooth mouse won't connect while the USB c hub is attached to the notebook. 

The USB c hubs works with any other notebook. So these are not broken. All updates/firmware updates were executed. Also tried a fresh windows 11 install to be sure nothing else was breaking the connection.

USB C hubs not working:

https://www.startech.com/en-be/cards-adapters/dkt30chcpd
https://www.tribetek.nl/products/licht-bevochtiger-aroma-diffuser-hout

The small USB C hub with only hdmi & 1 usbA delivered with the XPS does work. Making me think it's some older protocol maybe that is buggy with the new XPS 9520

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions

user confirmed dell shipped usb hub works fine

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session.
Find your Service Tag

View solution in original post

Replies (5)
5 Tungsten

Dell support would hardly do anything about it. I think Dell is following Apple footsteps to make their tech more proprietary. 

Best you can do it , to try to update CHIPSET, INTEL MANAGEMENT and BIOS

user confirmed dell shipped usb hub works fine

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session.
Find your Service Tag

Are 3rd party USB-C Hubs supposed to work on the 9520? I just got my brand new Dell XPS 9520 and it only partially works with my USB-C HUB. I can plug a USB drive into and it works. The monitors work. However, It does not work with keyboard, mouse, or my Arduino's. I need to know if this represents a problem with my laptop or if there is known incompatibility with 3rd party USB C Hubs. 

The hub works fine with my Microsoft SurfaceBook 2

The hub I'm using: Hiearcool USBC Hub 

Justin

Some do not work, but after upgrading bios to latest version, some started to work, but not all.

Usb-c hubs with network port seem to be the biggest issue

3 Argentum

Is there a list of what works and what doesn't?

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor