Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

2 Posts

November 30th, 2021 19:00

WD19 Dock Ethernet port not powering on

I have a Dell WD19 dock with an Ethernet port. I use this dock with my XPS 15, but for the last few weeks I've been unable to get the Ethernet connection to work. All the other functions of the dock work fine.

The Ethernet adapter does not show up in the operating system (Windows or Linux), and when I plug a cable into it, neither the port on the dock nor the port on the switch light up. It's as if the dock is just not turning on the port.

Things I've tried:

• Disconnecting and reconnecting the cable
  • Swapping in a known-good cable
  • Trying a different port on the switch
  • Installing the Realtek Ethernet drivers for the dock manually
  • Updating the dock's firmware to the latest version

Any ideas?

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

December 1st, 2021 03:00

Are you sure it's the docking stations fault?

I'd guess when the LAN cable is removed, the device is configured to enable WI-FI, when docked, this does not see a LAN port connected so you now have Ethernet and Wi-Fi connections, meaning packets go out of one connection and try to come back in the other way.

Try first checking/manually disabling Wi-Fi.

I've never heard of any device that refuses to work with a dock, most, if not all applications dont know if the client is wired or wireless let alone be able to detect a dock.

2 Posts

December 2nd, 2021 20:00

I'm pretty sure it's the dock. I used it with the Ethernet in the past, and the wired connection would always appear when I docked the laptop. Also, it used to cause the link light on the network switch to turn on, even when no laptop was docked to it. Now, there's no link light.

As a test, I disabled Wi-Fi and reconnected the dock, and nothing happened. FWIW, lshw on Linux shows the other features of the dock (USB hub/audio interfaces/display outputs), but not the Ethernet adapter. Windows also doesn't show the Ethernet adapter in device manager.

January 26th, 2023 10:00

Me too - WD19TBS with a Precision 5570.  No sign of an Ethernet device on the docking station.  I even tried a second WD19TBS without success.  Connecting a Dell DA200 - USB-C to multi-ports including Ethernet to the docking stations - works.  But I'd really rather not...

February 2nd, 2023 12:00

Hard dock reset fixed it. Unplug dock and hold power button for 30 seconds. Then re-connect power and laptop and see if that does it.

February 2nd, 2023 12:00

Precision 5470 with WD19TBS -same issue. I have also attempted all the same troubleshooting steps. I do get link lights which is extra fun. I expect some "smart" software management package is making decisions somewhere.

1 Message

November 13th, 2023 20:41

1. Open up Device Manager with admin credentials (or you can open cmd with admin credentials, then type "devmgmt.msc" and Device Manager with elevated permissions will open).
  2. Uninstall the drivers for Realtaek USB GbE Family Controller, and Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (23) I219-LM, and delete them too.
  3. Then right-click on Network adapters, click Scan for hardware changes, then allow the drivers to repopulate.
  4. Your ethernet should reconnect and you can disconnect from wifi.

Not sure why this works but this is the no-fail solution on every IT team I've worked on.

(edited)

January 16th, 2024 11:59

@rhianna.j​ I could not find Realtaek USB GbE Family Controller. I have uninstalled Intel(R) Ethernet Connection and repopulated it but it didn't work.

January 16th, 2024 13:41

@OrionJason​ This worked thamks

No Events found!