XPS

Last reply by 12-01-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

XPS 13 Plus Sound issues

XPS 13 Plus 9320

Since getting the XPS Plus I've had no end of sound issues.

I can go to the volume control and adjust that and hear the system sounds fine, however, if I open a youtube video I get no sound but the video plays.

If I then go into audio settings and find the option for "Audio enhancements" turn that off then back on again it then magically starts working. 

This seems to be a constant battle as I can then close youtube and do some work and reopen it later to play something and again the sound has gone, or quite often it'll even fail to load the video and eventually display a message about being unable to render audio.

tempted to return this and go back to another brand as this is the first time I've ever had a laptop with sound issues like this.

All my drivers are up to date, I've installed nothing that would cause this issue.
Running the latest version of windows 11.

Is there a solution to this? 

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

The issue I am facing with my 9320 (maybe related) is that everytime Windows Plays its sounds (alerts, notifications...) it "locks" the sound card. Discovered when adjusting volume using taskbar (it plays a Windows Sound when you do so). No other application can use Sound since (even Edge with Youtube video but no sound). That is what I thing is the trigger. Work around: No Windows Sounds.

View solution in original post

Replies (18)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

The issue I am facing with my 9320 (maybe related) is that everytime Windows Plays its sounds (alerts, notifications...) it "locks" the sound card. Discovered when adjusting volume using taskbar (it plays a Windows Sound when you do so). No other application can use Sound since (even Edge with Youtube video but no sound). That is what I thing is the trigger. Work around: No Windows Sounds.

@DanielBMLago wrote:

Good post and troubleshooting.

Yes, XPS-13 (9320) is a similar model, yet slightly different motherboard hardware. In general, both sounds like driver problems or Windows conflict.

Funny, my XPS-13 (9310) suffers neither of these problems. Yes, also slightly different hardware. I'm running Windows-11 on it these days. 

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.

Thanks, I'll give that a try today see if that's a decent workaround for this

Thanks, that seems to have sorted it so far.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Literally IDENTICAL problem. This is surely a general issue. Why hasn't Dell fixed this? Same YouTube issues and hangs and doesn't play/pauses . Close and open browser, sometimes eventually works. Otherwise have to reboot notebook.

If I change volume in taskbar, I can hear it chime - so sound is working. But no YouTube sound. If in a Zoom, can't even find audio renderer to connect when it 'breaks'. I'll disable Windows Sounds and test that. Had tried everything before (uninstalling and reinstalling sound drivers etc).

Dell?

Yep it's annoying that dell aren't looking into this.

But can confirm, since turning off system sounds it's been fine.

3 Silver

Did all of you at least checked if Dell Command Update app has anything to update?

Dell-Command-Update-Windows-Universal-Application

or

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/xps-13-9320-laptop/drivers 

There was also bios update in Sept.

Yep all up to date here using Windows update and the dell command update, also with selecting all the optional updated as well.

Yep, everything updated. Completed bios update. Wouldn’t be here if hadn’t tried everything. It’s a problem not sorted yet by Dell.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor