Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

5 Posts

January 4th, 2023 09:00

XPS 15 9510 Completely Freezing

XPS 15 9510

XPS 15 9510

For the past few of weeks, my laptop will randomly completely freeze. I am not putting it through any type of heavy usage when this happens. Usually just browsing the internet. The only way to get anything to respond is to hard restart it by pressing the power button for 15 seconds. No other keyboard functions work. I have tried the Integrated graphics solution found on here, but that does not work. I have run diagnostics and everything comes back fine. My laptop is completely updated. The freezing is totally random and sometimes will not happen at all, so I don't know that I'll be able to diagnose anything in Safe mode. I wouldn't even know what to look for there.

Called Dell support, but of course my warranty ended 2 months ago and they were going to charge $99 just to look at it. I got this computer because it was supposed to be the best Windows operated laptop on the market for what I needed it for. I shouldn't be having these types of problems on a 1 year old computer that was this expensive. My other laptop is a MAC and has been going strong for 10 years now. 

Any tips on what to do here would be greatly appreciated.

20 Posts

January 4th, 2023 21:00

1. Wait: Give It a Minute to Catch Up
2. Check Your Peripherals
3. Kill the Offending Program
4. Check Your Browser’s Task Manager
5. Reboot and Try Again
6. Check the Reliability Monitor
7. Reinstall Any Recent Drivers
8. Do a Malware Scan
9. Give Your Hard Drive a Checkup

Regards,
Peter

1 Message

January 14th, 2023 15:00

I have also been having the same issues, with the same exact model. I am covered under Dell warranty, but several repeated attempts have led to no fixes. The only thing that temporarily fixed this problem was redownloading Windows 11, but after three months, the same problem came back. 

January 15th, 2023 00:00

Same problem with me too, I even freshly installed windows 11. No luck.

Does dell even care about it's users. I saw a lot of forums with same issue. I am really upset about the software support of their premium product. In future I would never suggest Dell to anyone. 

5 Posts

January 17th, 2023 10:00

Appreciate the response and the helpful tips. Unfortunately, none of these worked for me.  Once it freezes, that's it. I've waited for quite a while for something to respond before being forced to restart this. I can't close out of any programs or open up the task manager once it freezes, even after waiting several minutes. Computer repair functions suggest everything is fine. No malware issues. Sometimes I can go a couple of hours before it freezes. One time, it froze up on the login screen. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason why it freezes. Tried using different browsers with no luck.

Don't know how to monitor everything while I'm using it to see what is going wrong. Any tips there? Should I set up another monitor to it, so I can see the task manager, for example, while I'm using it?

1 Message

January 25th, 2023 01:00

I have been having the same exact problem with my XPS 15 9510. I love the laptop but I can't have it freezing up every time, especially when working on something important. might have to sell the laptop. 

5 Posts

January 25th, 2023 06:00

I ended up paying to have Dell try and fix it. They spent two hours working on it remotely and it hasn't frozen yet in the week since. Trying to figure out what exactly they did, but I keep missing the callback. I'll update here if I find out.

1 Message

January 31st, 2023 10:00

Hi! could you please share some updates? I have the same crazy problem and I was not able to fix it by my own ... but before paying I would like to know if you solved the problem by contacting Dell. Thanks a lot!

5 Posts

January 31st, 2023 11:00

The lady was hard to understand, but I believe she said she cleaned up some files on the computer (not sure what that entailed) and updated our drivers. I always checked updates on the system settings, and reverted back to previous driver installs through the settings on the computer, but apparently some driver updates have to be installed through the dell support website. Hasn't crashed on me since she worked on it.

1 Message

February 25th, 2023 04:00

I have exactly the same problem since recently. now I know that I`m not alone..

I think the issue has started to happen since the bios update at the end of jan 2023, so maybe this is related... if anyone else knows what exactly "Drivers" has to be "updated" to resolve this? 

4 Posts

March 6th, 2023 08:00

The issue used to be solved by installing a stable version of Intel UHD graphics driver or turning off the Panel Self Refresh in Intel Graphics Command Center. However, I tried all graphics driver versions in combination with any tips I found on this community, Reddit, and Google. It doesn't work anymore with the latest BIOS 1.17.0. Dell support could not help because the diagnostics showed nothing wrong with the laptop. Maybe they know the problem, but still work around with BIOS updates.

In my case, the freezing issue only happens when the xps runs on its battery when its CPU enters a low powered state. So there are 2 solutions as below.

1. Always keep the charger connected, but it's ridiculous when you spend lots of money getting a lightweight laptop that cannot run stable without it.

2. Disable C-states in BIOS. Turn on the laptop, press F2 to enter BIOS, then Performance tab. I tried to disable each function and its combo in the Performance tab. Only the C-state function affected the freezing issue, so just turn it off. I'm going with this option, although the battery drains quickly, and sometimes it gets hot, even after closing the lid.

I hope it helps. We need to wait for a couple of years until this model is obsolete, then it will no longer matter.

April 10th, 2023 12:00

I am having this issue as well (posted in another thread earlier this AM - below).

I am having ongoing issues with the display pixelating on my practically new Dell XPS 15 9510 laptop (purchased Feb. 2022), and the PC freezing. The only way to use PC again is to do a hard reboot. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Frustrating, as this is the most significant investment I’ve made to date for a laptop in my career as a Video Producer, and I couldn’t use it with any confidence at my event last weekend for fear of it freezing up. For background, prior to end of warranty period I was regularly using Dell Support Assist, and continue to update drivers and run diagnostics on Dell’s site. Diagnostics fail to identify any issue.

Side note: this issue first happened toward the end of my warranty period (during one of many Dell customer-support sessions trying to resolve issues I was having waking the PC from sleep). At the time, Dell Tech Support ran diagnostics and said everything was fine. This laptop has barely been used - I only use the laptop for travel, so it was several weeks later (and after expiration of my warranty) that I used the laptop again and started experiencing this issue frequently. I had thought that since the issue had been reported prior to end of the warranty that they would continue to provide support for this specific issue but I’ve been informed that they will only support this pre-existing issue if I purchase an extended warranty. A promised call from the “out of warranty team” never arrived.

1 Message

January 4th, 2024 06:13

Exact same issues with an XPS 7590 that I purchased in Spring 2020. It will most often freeze when I'm trying to watch a video in a browser (Prime Video specifically) but sometimes it freezes at the login screen or even right after logging in. The only way to continue is shutting it down by holding the power button for ~15 seconds and then starting it back up.

January 4th, 2024 15:41

Same problem, I spend 3500 for my XPS 15 9510, Dell donn't give me  support since my support service expired last March. So now I'm working on a modest Logitech mouse. It's my first experience with Dell, really disappointing.

1 Message

March 5th, 2024 19:14

I am having this same problem too with my XPS 15 9530. Literally just freezes when on the web or even just signing into my computer.

No Events found!