Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

T

59 Posts

July 7th, 2022 00:00

XPS 15 9520, 64 GB RAM upgrade?

Has anyone has any success in upgrading the RAM to 64 GB in their XPS 15 9520?

I contacted Kingston, and they recommended a 64 GB kit of Fury Impact RAM, CL38.  I bought it, installed it, and got the RAM incompatibility code.  I contacted Kingston again about the issue, and they wrote back saying...sorry...after further testing, we have found that the Fury Impact RAM is not compatible.  Sorry.

So, that was a fun experience.

I wonder if G Skill or Corsair are going to come out with a 64 GB RAM kit that is compatible.

I see in the XPS manual that the laptop RAM at 64GB tops out at 4800 MHz.  I wonder, though, are CL numbers 38 and below supported?

It´s still pretty early in the DDR5 game.

Tiny Tech

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

July 7th, 2022 04:00

If you'd rather not wait for compatible RAM, Crucial has it now.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/dell/xps-15-(9520)

59 Posts

July 21st, 2022 06:00

An excellent answer from you, as always!  Thank you!

2 Posts

November 30th, 2022 10:00

I bought Corsair 2x32 GB DD5 4800MHz for XPS 15 9520. Did not boot. Returning now for Crucial.

59 Posts

December 1st, 2022 01:00

I ended up getting this and it worked out just fine:

Crucial RAM 64GB Kit (2x32GB) DDR5 4800MHz CL40 Laptop Memory CT2K32G48C40S5

CT = Crucial Technologies

2K = 2-stick kit

32G = 32 GB RAM / stick

48 = 4800 MHz

C40 = CAS Latency = 40

S = SODIMM

5 = DDR 5

I tried to get it directly through Crucial´s website as they offered a discount, but I couldn´t ever find it in stock.  Ultimately bought it through Amazon.

Hope this helps.

Tiny_Tech

3 Posts

December 6th, 2022 08:00

Did the RAM compromise boot time because for me it's slowed down reboots and takes a good while

59 Posts

December 6th, 2022 11:00

That´s a good question.  I bought my Dell 15 9520 back in August, I think, and I immediately did upgrades.

I installed two Kingston 2TB NVMe - Fury Renegade, did the 64 GB Crucial RAM upgrade, and then did a clean install of Windows 11 Pro.

I remember being quite disappointed at and unimpressed by my boot / restart times.  I installed my Intel RST drivers correctly, and even made sure that RAID was enabled in my BIOS.

When I first got this XPS, I did not time the length of time it takes to boot to the desktop tones, nor did I time the length of time it took to restart - go from desktop back to desktop tones.  I sure wish I would have. I am curious, but at this point, not curious enough to open up my laptop, put in all the stock hardware, play with Windows, etc.

I can tell you what my situation is now, and we can compare notes on that, however:

Lid open, computer off......pressing power button: 22 seconds til desktop tones

Restart - desktop to desktop tones: 42 seconds.

Running Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 OS Build 22621.900, 64 GB Crucial RAM DDR5 4800 CL40, 2xNVME 2TB Kingston Fury Renegade 7300 read / 7000 write, Intel i9 CPU.

As I said, definitely not impressed with boot / restart times.

Love the laptop, though.  Feel of quality compared to my Inspiron 7400.  And the OLED screen - touch screen - 3.5K is amazing.

59 Posts

December 6th, 2022 12:00

Well, in all fairness, I decided to time my boot / restart times on my Inspiron 7400, with an 11th gen i7, 16 GB ram, and a Gen 3 Samsung NVMe..... and guess what?  Boot and restart times are about the same as my 12th i9 XPS, sometimes a hair faster, sometimes a little slower.  Averages out about the same.

Boot 21 seconds.

Restart 42 seconds (once it took 38 seconds)

I guess you can only make those two actions happen so fast huh?

Now I´m interested in seeing what FenixM83´s boot / restart times are....

3 Posts

December 6th, 2022 12:00

So I realized that this laptop is amazing but very picky with its RAM and NVME. The ssd stated in this post actually gives a hardware error when you do a bios diagnosis. I checked on the crucial website and bought the recommended one which is more expensive but higher in speed. Will test that out but annoyingly will have to close the existing drive to it which can cause all sorts of problems so fingers crossed there will be no hardware errors and that should resolve the boot time errors. And it seems like we all have similar problems. I assumed it was the RAM but checking on the crucial website it's the exact one stated and plus if it was the RAM then there would be a lot more issues including BSOD. I am tempted to test out my firecuda nvme which is 7000mb/s but will need to see if that's compatible as well so don't want to be wasting a lot of time back and forth. 

3 Posts

December 7th, 2022 04:00

Found the problem. This laptop comes with a Gen4 NVME and the one stated above is Gen3 hence the delays. If you do a BIOS diagnostic on the ssd mentioned above you will get an error. Will test out the Gen4 drive and will hopefully sort this issue out. 

8 Posts

December 21st, 2022 11:00

I bought exactly what you did. Upgraded the bios, Windows 11 updates, the whole thing. I put the ram in and all that happened was that the Dell logo would come on and go off for about 10 minutes. I pulled it out, put the 2 original 16 slots back in and it worked ok. I'd really like to get this to 64K so if anyone has any other suggestions or knows when Dell will have it in stock, I'd appreciate it!

Ranger Rick

13 Posts

December 21st, 2022 18:00

Just tried G.skill Ripjaws and computer wont boot. Jam to the dell logo

13 Posts

January 8th, 2023 15:00

just tried CT2K16G48C40S5 as recommend on crucial website. XPS wont boot, even not able to go to BIOS. Had to return the memory

13 Posts

January 11th, 2023 20:00

Great news. I've contact Dell support to get advice about memory upgrade. Dell answer me that they don't have heard of any issue with particular memory brand but reccommand to made MB reset. So unplug the battery, install new memory kit (G.skill) Hold power button for 20 secondes, reconnect battery. Laptop boot like a charm!

1 Message

February 4th, 2023 06:00

I know you installed 2 Kingston 2TB NVMe - Fury Renegade drives and you say that you made sure the Raid is set to on in the bios, I just installed 2 Samsung Pro 980 2tb and I was not getting the speed out of them.  I called Samsung and had them remote into my system, they claim in order to get the performance out of the drives, Raid needs to be turned off in the Bios and the computer will have to have windows and everything else reinstalled. 

I did a performance check on the drives and even the native 1tb that my 9520 came with, right now until I turn off the Raid function in the Bios, the native drive is outperforming the 980 pros.  I used the Samsung Magician to run the tests, which I downloaded from their website.  It will test all drives not just samsung.  Even talked with intel and they agree, turn off the Raid.

Once I do this I will report back to see if the drives perform as they should and boot time increases.

February 13th, 2023 17:00

I bought the OEM RAM from Dell directly. It was pricey, at about $500.00 per 32g stick! 1st boot had me on edge as it took about 3 to 5 minutes (maybe it was 45 seconds) but you know how time slows down when you are freaking out! Anyways once it recognized it, it ran the firmware update and boom! I love it. Start up is instant and shut down less than 10 seconds. Can't wait to load Solid Works!

No Events found!