Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 28th, 2022 14:00

XPS 15 9520, hibernate doesn't work

XPS 15 9520

XPS 15 9520

Hello,

This has been an issue since the beginning. Laptop cannot wake up from hibernate. When I press power button while laptop is in hibernation, it shows the Dell sign, then shuts down. Pressing the power button again just starts/restarts (all apps closed) the laptop. I am using Windows 11. All drivers and Windows are up to date.

Capture.JPG

15 Posts

October 11th, 2022 10:00

An update from my side:

A couple of weeks ago I was happy to see a new BIOS update from Dell, 1.6.0 which addressed some boot issues. Sadly the BIOS update didn't help on my hibernate issue.

Then a few days ago I updated my machine with the large Windows 11 22H2 update.  This fixed my hibernate issue! Seemingly this countered their buggy patch which broke the hibernation file a while back.

So for anyone having problems with hibernate and don't want to reinstall everything, try the 22H2 update. Hopefully that helps you too.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

August 28th, 2022 16:00

Try setting power button to Sleep and not Shut down.  I don't use hibernate, but that's the way my PC is set.  If it's in sleep state, it'll wake up if I push either sleep button or power button.

power-button-settings-control-panel.jpg

Another place there's power button options:

images.jpeg

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 29th, 2022 06:00

If your system is a modern standby system, it will behave a little differently.  Normally, the screen will go off then, depending on your time settings, will go into low power mode.  It will not normally go into hibernation unless you set it to do so.

When I start my system, it may only take a tap on the space bar or a Bluetooth device.  The power button will do the same thing if I hold it about 2 seconds until the lights on the keyboard illuminate.

If you get a chance, could you let us know what settings you have for the display to turn off and sleep and hibernation timings?  And when it comes out of a shutdown or hibernation or sleep, make note of the screen indications and whether you have to log back in.

15 Posts

September 2nd, 2022 05:00

Hi,

Having the exact same problem with XPS 9520 and hibernate from Windows 11.
Newest drivers and BIOS.

Extracted minidump from Windows and found this as reason:

INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR The power policy manager experienced a fatal error. Arguments: Arg1: 000000000000010e, The disk subsystem returned corrupt data while reading from the hibernation file.

Never had an issue with hibernate on older XPS with Windows 10.

Settings for sleep, lid close, timings and so on have nothing to do with this, since hibernation is an manual action that should write the memory content to the hiberfil.sys file. So either the machine turns off before the file writing is completed, or the data itself is corrupt.

Some support on this matter would be appreciated. Really annoying not being able to hibernate to go into "cold standby". 

9 Posts

September 2nd, 2022 09:00

yeap. Tried every weird article on the web. Nothing works. Seems like some kind of driver/windows bug.

9 Posts

September 2nd, 2022 14:00

@trf24 great find. Unfortunately I don't have that update in history(probably received the laptop after KB5016629 ) I hope dell/MS will fix this. 

15 Posts

September 2nd, 2022 14:00

Did some searching around and found this article:
https://strive2code.net/post/2022/08/09/dell-xps-9520-hibernation-issue-and-resolution

He's been able to pinpoint which Windows update that triggers the bug.
I uninstalled the KB5016629 update to test his theory and it was correct. After that hibernation worked.
But of course Windows insist on reinstalling the patch, and ignoring security patches is not a good thing.

Could Dell Support please use the info from the article and update id to pinpoint why this triggers corrupt hibernation file on the XPS 9520.  

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 3rd, 2022 06:00

Just for info, could you tell us what power settings you have set for that system, such as timers on display, sleep and hibernation?

Have you ever done a sleep study on the system?

I have an older modern standby system and when mine is in hibernation, and I know it is, I hold the power button down for about 2 seconds until the keyboard lights.  It will start up normally this way and is not shutting down first and has to be started from that condition.

With that being said, there was a Bios update once that stopped the system from shutting down and interfered with hibernation.

15 Posts

September 3rd, 2022 11:00

As I wrote, timings are irrelevant for this issue. What info would they give, since the problem is waking up from actively hibernating the system? Not standby or modern sleep where it's using low power mode to keep system state alive.

khajvahdp even posted a video of the problem, and I've supplied further evidence that a patch in combination with this model causes this issue. It's starts up like it should, but for some reason the hibernate file is considered corrupt after the Windows update mentioned above.

I've tried to downgrade the bios, since like you wrote sometimes a bios update might not agree with an OS patch. But that was not the case this time.

@khajvahdpit could be that you need to uninstall a later update for that update to show in the list. I had to as well. But I wouldn't recommend doing it though. My Windows got really unstable after that. The Window Manager behaved strangely after that. Had no menu/start bar and had to start everything from the task manager.

9 Posts

September 4th, 2022 01:00

So today was the first day it woke up from hibernation. 

@trf24 is absolutely right about the updates. I have KB5016691 in "pending" state, which will most likely break the functionality if installed. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 12th, 2022 14:00

Both Sleep and Hibernation modes both work fine here for me. Wakes-up working and stable.

XPS-15 (9520) - Intel i7-12700H, 32GB-DDR5

Firmware and BIOS v1.4.0 (6-9-2022) is installed
UEFI-Mode and SecureBoot is ON. Microsoft UEFI CA is ON.
Storage Mode: RAID (Intel-OMaSM v19.x is installed inside Windows-11).
DISABLED: UEFI-Capsule Firmware Updates, SupportAssist OS Recovery, BIOS-Connect

Nvidia Geforce RTX-3050 Laptop GPU 4-GB_GDDR6 DX-12.1
- Driver Package 512.72 DCH (Geforce Game Ready 6-28-2022)
Intel Graphics Command Center is installed (for Intel Iris-Xe Graphics IGP)

Windows-11 Pro 64-bit v.21H2 - Current Build: 22000.918
All Windows-Updates installed ( including KB5016691 )

Power Profile: Balanced
- PCIe Link State Power Management: Maximum Power Savings (for both)
- Fast-Startup Enabled

powercfg /a says these are available:
Standby (Sleep S0 Low Power Idle) Network Disconnected
Hibernate
Fast Startup

15 Posts

September 13th, 2022 05:00

Thanks for your feedback @Tesla1856!

The only relevant difference in the setup I can see from mine, is that you are using the old 1.4 BIOS and RAID instead of AHCI.

Seems I have "Fast startup" enabled as well:

powercfg /a
The following sleep states are available on this system:
Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected
Hibernate
Fast Startup

(also something I tried both off and on since some articles said either/or about this setting and hibernation)

So I suspect the reason it works for you is the RAID setting, but I can't change it without ending up with "inaccessible boot device". Firstly installing the Intel RST driver from Dell for the 9520 says it's successful. Must I reinstall Windows to change over to RAID from AHCI?

@khajvahdpany luck for you?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 13th, 2022 05:00

As was indicated in @Tesla1856 response, the Fast Startup needs to be enabled. which yours appears not to be.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 13th, 2022 11:00

@trf24 wrote:

1, Thanks for your feedback @Tesla1856!

2. is that you are using the old 1.4 BIOS and RAID instead of AHCI.

3. Seems I have "Fast startup" enabled as well:

4. Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected

5. Must I reinstall Windows to change over to RAID from AHCI?

1. You are welcome

2. Right. I've been alerted that v1.5.0 is now posted. When/if I upgrade, I will re-test and post my results.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9520-Type-C-3-2-Port-Fail-After-Bios-Update/m-p/8267373#M101887

3. As far as I can tell ... Using a "Fast-Startup" (which is created at Shut-Down) and Hibernation is basically the same thing.

4. Mine said Standby (Sleep S0 Low Power Idle) Network Disconnected
Not sure if that is relevant or not. 

5. Mine is like this because this is the way it came from Dell. It works fine. In another thread, pretty sure we determined the NVMe-SSD was (surprisingly) faster this way.

When switching between RAID from AHCI , I always clean-install Windows. Can't say I've ever tried going from AHCI to RAID (or had a reason to). 

No Events found!