Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

2 Posts

April 2nd, 2020 12:00

XPS 15 Hinge Issues (widespread?)

I've seen several posts about this issue but would like to know just how widespread it is.

I have 2 XPS 15 laptops (a 9560 and a 9570) both have an issue with the left screen hinge. The 9560 got so bad that the screen can't be opened anymore and the laptop ha. and it bent the bottom cover. The 9570 is headed in that direction but not that bad. I have a colleague with a 9560 that had the exact same problem. My business has used exclusively Dell equipment up to this point and while we have never had a problem with any of our desktop workstations or monitors, the XPS 15 laptops that have given me countless headaches.

Anybody else have this problem? How did Dell address it? and has the problem been addressed in a newer version of the laptop?

Really love the specs of the XPS 15 and the display quality but not inclined to ever get another at this point

• 

25K Posts

April 3rd, 2020 06:00

We tried reaching you on a private message but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

1 Message

May 26th, 2020 06:00

I'm having the same problem with my XPS 15 9560, bought Jan. 2018. I was able to take off the back cover and literally shake out the broken pieces of this part, which were also getting in the way of the hinge moving when opening the screen, and that seems to have helped some. 

But now the strain is directly on the bottom cover and it's moving way more when opening/closing the screen. Has anyone tried to get this part replaced? I saw on another thread that someone had to get an entirely new bottom chassis and switch over all components, which is time consuming and expensive. 

Hoping not to see this problem popping up in the 2020 XPS models, as I'd buy from this line again only if the hinges don't  out after 2.5 years. 

2 Posts

June 4th, 2020 17:00

Same here with my XPS 15 9560.

Hinge is broken somewhere and now the bottom cover lifts up every time I open / close the lid.

For a "premium", expensive laptop, that's not great. 

1 Message

June 6th, 2020 04:00

Hey! I’ve been searching everywhere for someone with the same issue. Did you manage to find a solution? Or could you point me to the other thread? Cause I wouldn’t mind switching the bottom chassis if it contains that part.

Thanks in advance for your help

June 6th, 2020 05:00

I haven't had this problem, but my screen has "come loose" slightly...to the point where it has give and moves without any hold or resistance (when I pick up the laptop to walk to a conference room for example). Thanks for the insight here everyone.

June 24th, 2020 01:00

Same for me, I had this problem with an XPS 9550 bought off eBay (it was probably already ~3 years when I bought it)

The issue highlighted in the image in Catalin M's post happened me too, and I ended up buying a new chassis & switch all components over.

DELL.png

Spoiler: the keyboard is fixed by around 30 screws if I remember correctly, which serves as a great test of patience ... XD

July 16th, 2020 20:00

Hi everyone, searched the internet to see if anyone had come across a solution to the left hinge breaking off. I see this an ongoing issue for Dell XPS 15's (9570). Has anyone been successful in finding a solution? This is such a terrible issue for a gorgeous laptop.

July 16th, 2020 20:00

Hi @quadpixels, did the replacement chassis come with a new hinge or were you able to put the old hinge on?

July 17th, 2020 00:00

Hello,

The hinge is part of the display assembly, so I was using the old one.

If by "hinge" you are referring to the circled part in Captain M's pic, then yes it's part of the chassis, and comes with the chassis (actually it cannot be easily removed from the chassis.)

1 Message

August 2nd, 2020 08:00

I just noticed mine is doing the same. I was trying to see what I could do to fix it and what causing the issue. There are two main spots where the hinge has failed. One the small metal (less than 1mm) that holds the product in place (hinge) and two there looks to be adhesive at the bottom of the hinge that keeps it secured to the bottom half of the case. The >1mm piece of metal wasn't going to hinge in place the force required to affix it is massive so I believe the main culprit is the adhesive. Over time this will eventually fail, however this seems to be way to short at >2 years (for me)

September 14th, 2020 22:00

Hi,

I know this is a somewhat older topic but I am having similar issues as another user regarding the hinge on my XPS 15 9570. It has gotten to the point where the plastic bit that holds the screw in has broken and a bit of the screw broke off and remains inside of it.

2 Posts

September 16th, 2020 07:00

Hi all,

Same here! Been very careful with the laptop always but nonetheless the hinge has broken loose. The back cover is bulging now when I open the laptop. This looks like it will worsen 'til the point that I am unable to open the laptop at all.

Laptop is three years old! So @Anonymous, please be lenient and provide a solution for this design issue.

1 Message

October 21st, 2020 19:00

I have my XPS for 2.5 years and have the same hinges issue. It start over the last weekend. At the power button side, bottom cover distended from the palm rest cover. I had the extended warranty coverage till February 2020. Wish Dell can resolve this for us.

1 Message

October 26th, 2020 04:00

What is this so called piece ?

Is there anyway to buy it without buying a whole backpanel ?

1 Message

November 3rd, 2020 09:00

Having the same issue now on my XPS 15 9560. It looks like the only thing still holding the screen to the rest of the laptop is the single screw on the bottom cover, which keeps flexing every time I try to open or close the lid

No Events found!