Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

25 Posts

August 1st, 2020 00:00

XPS 17 9700, crashes when sleeping, fingerprint to blame?

I've had the new XPS 17 for just over a month and it has a significant problem - it crashes and restarts when in sleep mode both when plugged in or unplugged. It seems that the Goodix fingerprint reader driver is the culprit, but not really sure what to do about it. Below is what I did to identify the Goodix device.

I noticed that SupportAssistant lists each BSOD in its history tab (a lot more clearly than the Windows Event Viewer) and I could see crashes there that were at the times when the laptop was sleeping.

supportassistant.png

I called Dell support and let the support engineer remote onto my Laptop. He downloaded and ran BlueScreenView https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html. This was new to me so watched with interest. BlueScreenView lists and inspects all the minidumps created when Windows crashes and all 5 in my case were DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE related.

Annotation 2020-08-01 081553.png

The engineer then decided to manually reinstall all my drivers which seemed like it was a bit sledge hammer as an approach and took him over an hour. Later the same day (yesterday) same thing: came back to the laptop after it was sleeping and it had crashed and restarted. You can see this in support assistant above.

This morning I've dug into it a bit. DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE results under lots of conditions but relates to a device driver not responding correctly to Windows power management. Power management has become more and more complex over time as hardware and software designers try to preserve battery thus this type of failure is quite common. You can install the preview version of WinDbg (Windows Debugger) from the Microsoft Store. I loaded each dump into this tool and learnt that once loaded you can run !analyze

10: kd> !analyze -v
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f)
A driver has failed to complete a power IRP within a specific time.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000006, The device did not complete its Directed Power Transition callback successfully.
Arg2: ffffdf82f90159a0, The POP_FX_DEVICE object
Arg3: 0000000000000000, If this was a Directed Power Down(1) or Power Up(0) completion
Arg4: 0000000000000000

and in the case of my particular failures you can run  

dt _POP_FX_DEVICE ffffdf82f90159a0

To list the details of the driver which was receiving the IO Request Packet (Windows command sent to drivers). In my case this is always:

+0x4a0 FriendlyName     : _UNICODE_STRING "Goodix fingerprint (\_SB.PCI0.XHC.RHUB.HS01)"

I don't have a resolution to this but perhaps someone can suggest something as the Dell engineer was a bit out of his depth with this. I guess at this point its one of two things. The fingerprint reader hardware is faulty or there is a bug in the driver.

July 1st, 2021 10:00

@Steven Pavett  I am having the same problem on my XPS laptop for 4 months experience. When I clicked any key to wake up my laptop, it would show blue screen within the next second. Regarding my experience, if I use it at home, I would always connect to the external display for use, the blue screen would occur more often, but if I take it out, the chance of encountering a blue screen is relatively low. I'm not sure whether it is an external display through the dock to cause this happen. Could anyone suggest that this happen is related to the external display?Also now, I'm going in to the Goodix fingerprint properties from the device manager and change the settings what you said. Or I should report to Dell Customer Service for help. Maybe they will replace motherboard or change the new laptop for me.

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

July 1st, 2021 12:00

I'm also crashing again today after sleep.  In fact it crashed overnight and then again this PM.  I'm not attached to any external device.

July 1st, 2021 18:00

@rothenbj Did you uncheck the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" under fingerprint Power Management setting before you met the crash? After I uncheck the box setting, I have not met the crash yet.

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

July 1st, 2021 20:00

I had it unchecked previously.  However I did the same as I did previously.  I went in and checked it, updated, the unchecked it again and updated.  We'll wee how it goes this time.

As a side note, after that, I checked for Dell updates and found a BIOS update I hadn't caught before so I performed that.  We'll see how it goes now.

July 1st, 2021 21:00

@Jocelyn Palmer @rothenbj I eventually came to the conclusion that I was experiencing these kinds of "crash while sleeping" issues for more than one reason. I started to experience them as a result of a memory fault which would result in the laptop running a memory diagnostic test after a crash. However the full diagnostic would never show any error.

I took pictures of the relevant screens and called up Dell Premium Support. They arranged a second replacement motherboard and additionally this time a new SSD as well. I have had these new internals now since mid-May 2021 and I have had no repeat of any of my "crash while sleeping" issues since then and I haven't switched off any settings for fingerprint readers or Windows Hello devices. 

It could be that a BIOS update fixes things but I kept all that pretty fanatically up to date and it never seemed to help.

In my home office setup I have an external wide LG monitor (3440 x 1440) with a Dell Thunderbolt dock (180W power) for running a bunch of power hungry peripherals - 4k Logitech webcam, behringer USB audio interface, various charging cables. All that is connected most of the time to the laptop which sits in a laptop tray on my monitor stand. No issues there.

I think by default you get the support for 12 months - I always extend this with Dell purchases to three years because of past experience (I ran my own company for a while purchasing multiple laptops from Dell). My experience (living in the UK) has been that while the fault finding processes of the support guys can be a bit lengthy and often don't have a definitive conclusion, the company does want you to have a positive experience of their products and they are not reluctant to replace such expensive parts on site to reach a resolution. This laptop has had three motherboards and two SSDs.  

My advice would be to try Dell support and see where you get to. You might be pleasantly surprised.

July 1st, 2021 21:00

It sounds great ! I will follow what you said to check Dell Update application for BIOS update. Moreover, are you encountering the same problem that everyone met before ? I have installed Microsoft WinDbg to check the dump, the information point to the same error as 0x9f  Power_State_Failure. Have you check the dump before? Thanks for your sharing.

10: kd> !analyze -v
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f)
A driver has failed to complete a power IRP within a specific time.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000006, The device did not complete its Directed Power Transition callback successfully.
Arg2: ffffc82133f9a400, The POP_FX_DEVICE object
Arg3: 0000000000000000, If this was a Directed Power Down(1) or Power Up(0) completion
Arg4: 0000000000000000

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

July 2nd, 2021 13:00

I think you're right.  Everything was fine today until I closed up yje laptop for about half an hour.  Came back in, opened it up and shut down again.  Mine have all been memory diagnostics which I ran a few times early but when nothing was discovered, I just rebooted and everything was fine until the next time.

I took out the extended warranty on this also and have had it less than a year anyway.  Time to deal with Dell.

3 Posts

July 4th, 2021 05:00

I have the same issues.. dell replaced the motherboard, and its still having the issue.  Very frustrating.

1 Message

July 13th, 2021 15:00

tl;dr The workaround mentioned above works.

I have the same laptop (XPS 17 9700) and had the same problem (BSOD after sleep, several times daily). I applied your workaround (untick the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" setting on the Goodix driver) three days ago and have had no crashes since.

Thank you @Steven Pavett  for digging in to this and for sharing your findings.

1 Message

July 14th, 2021 15:00

Hi. I've also traced my problem of random restarts to the fingerprint scanner. However, I'm missing the power management tab in device properties. Any way to get this to show up? (Device is an Inspiron 15 5510)

shauncb_0-1626302429123.png

16 Posts

July 14th, 2021 17:00

New windows 10 builds get rid of the power management settings. Long story but if you want access to it you'll need to google how to re-enable "S3 sleep" for your model

7 Posts

August 11th, 2021 07:00

This alone did not solve the issue for me.  I had to also disable connected network standby per this post:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-9700-crashes-during-sleep-multiple-devices-are-the-cause/td-p/7867464/page/3

After doing so, issue is has not reoccured.

1 Message

September 12th, 2021 08:00

This solution did not stop my XPS from crashing in sleep.

Sometimes my system sleeps fine, but after some hours, it wakes my up with the fan running at it's highest speed and the unit is hot to the touch.  The only way to stop it is to hold the power/fingerprint button for 15 seconds.  Then on the next start up it prompts a memory test.

Tech support has no idea what they are doing so I'm at a loos for the next step. Mabey a Mac is in my future.

1 Message

September 15th, 2021 09:00

This did not resolve the issue on my XPS 9700.

November 17th, 2021 19:00

Just disable it in the bios, this laptop has been out for a while they would have fixed it by now if they were going to.  I never used the fingerprint scanner anyhow so i dont miss it.  But after i disabled the scanner in the bios i never had another issue.  Ill close my laptop on battery come back 4 hours later and its only lost a percent or two.  And as for plugged in its nice not being awaken by a small jet taking off in my kitchen followed by a white screen telling me the scan found no errors.

No Events found!