XPS

Last reply by 06-23-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

XPS 17 9710 left speaker not working

My XPS 17 9710 has an issue where the left speakers stop working intermittently. Reinstalling the drivers or going to the BIOS to disable/enable speakers have no effect. However, when I put the laptop to sleep and come back to it several hours later, it often is working again.

The issue happens both in Windows 10 and 11. I currently have a service request open to replace the left speaker, but I doubt it will solve this issue as it doesn't seem to be speaker-related. This is a very frustrating issue to have with a $3000 multimedia laptop -- I would like to know what Dell is currently doing to resolve this reoccurring issue with the XPS 17.

System details:

BIOS 1.8.0

i7-11800H

GTX 3060

32GB RAM

Latest Realtek drivers (x.160 A6)

Replies (13)

@Douglas Black wrote:

re-opening a browser and going to youtube or another video service seems to successfully re-initiate the audio stream to be properly output from all 4 speakers.

I like your creative thinking but think about this: Even a Windows restart isn't fixing it!

The issue started to appear on my XPS 9710 AFTER a mainboard swap. I'm running the exactly same software configuration as before (rolled back a system image taken from before the "repair") thus it can't be the drivers, it must have something to do with the new mainboard or it's firmware.

Since going in the bios fixes it but only temporarily, I suspect a firmware/hardware related issue, it surely can't be soley the drivers or else much more people would be affected of this. (there are many but not that many)

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I have a bit more information to share on this: this issue seems to occur sometimes after headphone usage. I suspect it is a driver issue of some kind with the following mechanism. The following is just a hypothesis:

1. speakers start an audio stream as usual, work fine, outputting sound from all 4 speakers.

2. headphones are plugged in. Sound is output to stereo channels for 2 headphones (equivalent to 2 speakers)

3. headphones are removed. Normally, the drivers should go back to outputting sound from all 4 speakers. However, in certain cases I think what happens is that audio outputs from only two speakers because it is still being treated by the drivers in the same way as the headphones. re-opening a browser and going to youtube or another video service seems to successfully re-initiate the audio stream to be properly output from all 4 speakers.

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

Update = After completing troubleshooting, a DELL-Cares agent setup a part replacement.

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. Currently only available in the USA.

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions