Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 18th, 2022 14:00

XPS 9510 2nd SSD often disappears after wake

I fitted a second SSD in my XPS 15 9510 (I added a Crucial P2 M.2 2280 1TB SSD) a few weeks ago. It works just fine, but I started noticing that very often when I turned the PC on after a few hours away (so presumably it has been in sleep mode), the 2nd SSD (my D drive) is missing. Rebooting always brings it back. 

I've tried reseating the drive twice, and I'm sure that it is firmly placed in the slot. And I installed the "Crucial Storage Executive" which reports that the SSD is healthy.

I saw some other people with similar issues of SSDs disappearing after wake solving it by disabling "hybrid sleep" but that's not an option on my power settings. 

I'm fully up to date with all drivers and firmware, so I'm at a loss to know what else to try. Any suggestions?

6 Posts

June 1st, 2022 10:00

I think I have finally found the solution. After a discussion with Crucial support, they suggested changing the BIOS from RAID to AHCI mode. I was able to do that following instructions from here (https://superuser.com/a/1359471/3417) thankfully didn't need to enter my BitLocker key but I backed it up anyway. I've now gone well over a week without the drive disappearing, with many resumes from sleep.

• 

25.1K Posts

May 18th, 2022 14:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

6 Posts

May 22nd, 2022 13:00

I found this article from Crucial "SSD Disappears or Crashes when Resuming from Sleep or During Normal Use" and tried configuring the "Link State Power Management" under "PCI Express" to Off. At first I thought that might have resolved it, but the problem has come back, with my 2nd drive disappearing, and needing a system reboot to appear again.

5 Posts

July 29th, 2022 23:00

After trying different ways to solve that problem I finally found the root of the problem. And that is not in RAID drive mode or overheat. But heatsink will help, because if you look at the back plate it place where NVME drive located, you found conductive sponge. And this sponge short circuit some components on NVME drive when you push a bit harder to back side of the laptop. And that looks "randomly happened" and drive can diapear before OS boot or after. To avoid this install heatsink or atleast capton tape on the sponge/drive.

No Events found!