Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 5th, 2022 15:00

XPS 9520, Speaker/Microphone cuts out after Zoom meetings

All--

I am running Windows 11 on a brand-new Dell XPS 15 9520. 

Has anyone ever experienced an issue where the computer loses both audio speakers and microphone when ending a Zoom meeting? 

For example, when I start a Zoom meeting, audio works just fine for both the speaker and the microphone. But as soon as I end the meeting and shut down Zoom, no audio will play. If I try to raise the volume it says "no audio device installed."

A simple restart of the PC fixes the issue, but it's frustrating having to restart as soon as I end a Zoom meeting. Again, no issues at all running Zoom...it's when I close the Zoom program that I lose all audio functionality.

Any thoughts on a possible solution?

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

July 25th, 2022 21:00

The new Realtek ALC3281 audio driver (6.0.9369.1, July 25, 2022, XPS 15 9520, Precision 5570) has been published here.

Please download and install the driver update. Once the driver has finished updating, restart the Laptop. This driver should resolve this issue.

• 

25K Posts

July 6th, 2022 09:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag number to ascertain the warranty but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

1 Message

July 7th, 2022 22:00

I have the same problem. I've also had my motherboard + audio daughter board replaced due to another issue. So, unlikely to be hardware. 

It only happens on Zoom. Not on any playback tool or meeting tools like teams, messenger, or skype. Even on zoom, it doesn't happen if I use Bluetooth audio (though audio does disappear on output change for a second requiring you to reselect the device on zoom).

Drivers and zoom are up-to-date. My guess is there's a software issue. 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 8th, 2022 07:00

By the end of July we should see a new Realtek audio driver that should correct this issue. Keep checking the XPS 15 9520 drivers page.

Workaround #1 =
Clear the checkmark for Enable audio enhancements under speaker properties before the Zoom meeting.
* Open Control Panel and then select Sound
* Select Speakers, click Properties, select Advanced, clear Enable audio enhancements and then click OK

Workaround #2 =
Disable and then enable Intel Smart Sound Technology OED and Realtek Audio under Device Manager.
* Press the Windows key + X and then select Device Manager
* Expand Sound, video, and game controllers
* Right-click Realtek Audio and then select Disable device
* Right-click Realtek Audio and then select Enable device
* Right-click Intel Smart Sound Technology OED and then select Disable device
* Right-click Intel Smart Sound Technology OED and then select Enable device

Workaround #3 =
Use an external USB headset/mic or 3.5mm headset/mic.

13 Posts

July 12th, 2022 09:00

Thanks Chris M.

I ran the My Dell app and it updated a bunch of drivers, and the problem somehow fixed itself. I haven't had the issue happen at all anymore. But I will keep this page bookmarked in case it becomes a problem again. 

1 Message

July 18th, 2022 13:00

Hi! I am having this same issue with my brand new XPS 15 9520. Are there any updates on this new audio driver? Thank you! 

13 Posts

July 26th, 2022 09:00

Thanks! An update that I ran about a week ago solved the problem.

219 Posts

August 17th, 2022 16:00

@Dell-BradL wrote:

The new Realtek ALC3281 audio driver (6.0.9369.1, July 25, 2022, XPS 15 9520, Precision 5570) has been published here.

Please download and install the driver update. Once the driver has finished updating, restart the Laptop. This driver should resolve this issue.

thanks Dell-BradL but while this new 6.0.9369.1 driver fixes the current problem here, unfortunately the 9369 driver appears to cause or create a new problem as described here.

219 Posts

November 25th, 2022 12:00

a much newer 6.0.9430.1 A25 Realtek HD Audio driver was released by Dell on 11/24 for the XPS 9520 & Precision 5570 laptop computers

No Events found!