Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 15th, 2010 19:00

How to unlock (cltr-alt-end) on Apple MAC

Some of our clients use the MAC connector to connect to our vWorkspace VDI environment.

We have setup a screensaver that locks the screen after some minutes.

On a windows PC, the user can press CTRL-ALT-END to unlock the screen.

However, on MAC's without the END button, users can't get out of this unlock screen.

We have tried different combinations, but nothing seems to work.

Any idea's?

1 Message

February 24th, 2016 12:00

I ran into the same problem. I work with a MacBook Air. What worked for me was the combination fn-control-alt/option-delete. Hope this helps any of you!

228 Posts

October 18th, 2010 12:00

Hi René,
On a Windows PC the CTRL-ALT-END key combination can be used to send the CTRL-ALT-DEL sequence to the remote session. As you rightly point out this is not possible on a MAC keyboard. For a MAC the key sequence to use is actually CTRL-ALT-DEL.  If after trying this you still have problems please reply back with details of the remote system you are connecting to, Windows XP or 7 etc..

74 Posts

October 18th, 2010 14:00

Hello David,

You are right, when the keyboard has a DEL button, CTRL-ALT-DEL works on a MAC.
However, on notebooks and some smaller MAC keyboards (like the wireless keyboard), there is no DEL key.

For example, I have a macbook air without the DEL key.

Apple says you should press FN-BACKSPACE is the same as DEL.

So the combination would be : CTRL-ALT-FN-BACKSPACE

But that doesn't work. I even tried FN-CTRL-ALT-CMD-BACKSPACE without luck.

The remote clients are Windows XP.

228 Posts

October 20th, 2010 08:00

Hello René,

I now have a smaller MAC keyboard (the wireless keyboard) in US English format. Using this keyboard I was able to perform the keystoke CTRL-ALT-FN-DEL this worked. I believe that non-English keyboards may have this key mapped to a different function.

Can you try something for me to test this further, open a document and type some text then use the FN-BACKSPACE keys, this should perform a delete function.

Now open a standard terminal window, not iTerm, and do the same test. I believe that the FN-BACKSPACE does not have delete functionality in this case.

Can you let me know what you find?

74 Posts

October 20th, 2010 15:00

We are getting closer.

FN-BACKSPACE works correctly in documents / terminal. Even on the virtual desktop FN-BACKSPACE works like DEL.

However, ALT doesn't seem to work. I started notepad in the virtual desktop and pressed ALT-F. This should bringup the file menu. Instead is shows the character '2' ?

ps: I also tried attaching a normal keyboard with DEL button, with the same result. CTRL-ALT-DEL is not working.

228 Posts

October 26th, 2010 10:00

Hi,

Can you tell me what is the keyboard layout and regional settings of the remote computer?

Also have you checked the Modifier Keys are correctly configured in the System Preferences, Keyboard option on the Mac.

74 Posts

November 1st, 2010 10:00

Keyboard layout on the virtual desktop is "United States-International".

Regional settings "Dutch (Nederlands)"

I checked the modifier keys and they are correct.

228 Posts

November 2nd, 2010 16:00

It would seem as though your MAC is a similar setup to mine where I am able to use the key combinations and get the desired result. Is there perhaps a way that I could connect to this remotely using my MAC, or perhaps look at this further with you? If you wish to log a support case we can follow up and try to get to the bottom of it.

13 Posts

November 5th, 2010 21:00

One thing that you can try and have tested here in the Reston office is using the (cltr-shift-esc) combination.

74 Posts

November 8th, 2010 17:00

I found a solution for this, but it is not something we can ask our users to do. Maybe you guys know why we have to do this:

1. $ xmodmap -pke > ~/.Xmodmap
  2. $ open -e ~/.Xmodmap
  3. Change  the line:  "keycode  66 =  Mode_switch" to "keycode  66  = Alt_L"
  4. Change the line:  "keycode  69 = Mode_switch" to "keycode  69 = Alt_R"
  5. Now close X11 and the ALT mapping works. CTRL-ALT-DEL also works.

I changed the alt/option mapping (keycode 66 and 69) from 'mode_switch'  to Alt_L / Alt_R

Is your alt/option key also mapped to Alt_L by default?

74 Posts

November 25th, 2010 10:00

The 'Multi Select' is also not working with the apple connector.

A user needs to select multiple items. In windows, this would be CTRL+left mouse.

However, the Apple has mapped this as a right mouse click (option menu).

How could we make this working?

1 Message

November 4th, 2015 14:00

fn+ctrl+alt+backspace will work.

January 29th, 2016 15:00

I know this is an old post but it is irritating that it's high in the google search results and does not have a definitive answer (there is no key labelled Backspace on my keyboard, for instance, and several of the offered solutions produce a local Ctrl-Alt-Delete).

After testing on a MacBook Air with restricted keyboard I was able to verify:

1. fn+right arrow works as End key

2. fn+control+(alt/option)+right arrow replaces Ctrl+Alt+End in an active RDP session and allows you to change your password

1 Message

November 14th, 2017 09:00

Hello Rene,

I ran into the same problem using my Mac book Pro. The key combination that worked for me for the alternate of Ctrl+Alt+End on Mac is fn + Ctrl + Alt/Option + Right Arrow + Right Arrow. 

Thanks

1 Message

March 22nd, 2018 05:00

Thank you very much! It worked to perfection!

No Events found!