Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

December 31st, 2018 13:00

F12 Not Working to Get to Boot Menu

I have a Dell Inspiron 5537 running Windows 10. Yesterday I tried to get to the boot menu from the reboot process by pressing the F12 key when that message comes up on the screen. It never worked. I could get to the set up screens by pressing the F2 key. The F12 key works when booted up to change the volume so I don't think the key itself is broken. I wanted to make the laptop boot from a Macrium Reflect recovery disk to see if the disk was working (for another fun troubleshooting project on a Dell desktop). I searched and searched to find an answer to this problem with no luck. I did find a Dell response to a query about this saying that the reboot is often only a partial reboot to save time and I have noticed this on my laptop. Unfortunately the instructions for how to force a full reboot were for Windows 8 and didn't work on my computer.

I'd really like to know the answer to this in case I ever need to do boot from some other device (CD, USB).

Thanks for your help.

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

December 31st, 2018 15:00

Have you looked in the BIOS under advanced to see if the F keys are set to enabled or Multimedia? Should be set to enabled. In a pinch you could also go into the BIOS and change the boot order. Do that with the USB plugged into the system.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 31st, 2018 16:00

I usually just shut the entire system down, then press the Power button and immediately start pressing the F12 key rapidly until I end up at the boot menu. It’s not elegant, but it’s effective, especially for systems that have already gotten too far through the boot process by the time the display lights up.

1 Message

January 14th, 2020 21:00

This Community,  in particular- this forum - these post just saved my rear- end! On top of that I learned a few things! Thanks Guys&Gals

1 Message

June 19th, 2021 10:00

didn't think it would work but it did

1 Message

December 1st, 2023 14:51

I have a Dell M4700 upgraded to Windows 10 about 6 months ago.  Now it won’t boot.  I tried the f12 key many times to try to get to the one time boot menu, but the menu never comes up.  Only preparing one time boot appears in the upper right corner in yellow.  It stops there with the Dell logo and goes no further.  I also tried f2, and F4 on boot up to get into diagnostics and setup.  Same thing.  Stops at the Dell logo preparing setup.  The little white line under the Dell logo goes about 3/4 the way across the screen and stops.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

April 17th, 2024 05:41

Mine Inspiron 24 5420 AIO bought recently. Since then F12 key not working by trying all possible methods

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

April 19th, 2024 10:27

@JOcean​ Sir I am not getting bios since f12 is not working . Guide me pl how to sort out the issue

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

April 19th, 2024 12:51

@shanknar​ Try pressing F2 instead and if you are connected to the Dell Pro Wireless Keyboard KM5221W, press Fn+F2. If that does not work, then this support page help as it explains how to access the BIOS from Windows.

No Events found!