Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 14th, 2020 12:00

Alpha R1, stuck in Legacy BIOS mode

Fool that I am I pressed F12 and wondered what the menu option to "Boot in Legacy Mode" was, now the system is stuck with a 4:3 alienware logo and I cannot get back to UEFI. 

When you press space you get a blue bar and F2 Setup  F12 Options but the pressing either of these causes the bar to disappear and the head remains. 

I've removed the CMOS battery, cleared it with the reset jumper and pressed the power button down for 30 seconds but this has had no effect. 

Anyone know how to get back to UEFI? Seems strange that a menu option should brick the R1?

As a footnote it looks like the supreme being from Time Bandits so pretty cool really, just wished it would allow me to switch back.

Regards

BobRiot

alienstuck.jpg 

4 Posts

July 14th, 2020 14:00

Okay after many retries I'm back baby!!!!

Started by making a legacy Win 7 drive to replace the ssd with but that was a waste of time.

Don't try this at home folks but here's what the fixed my issue:

With the Power ON and the machine running

Pull the CMOS reset jumper (1)

Using it, bridge the pins at 2.

IMG_20200714_221805002_HDR.jpg

The yellow lights flashed so I thought I'd fried the chipset but then the HDD kicked in and the fans changed speed. So enter the BIOS (finally!) set it to UEFI then replace your orginal HDD. On reboot hit F12 and set it back to UEFI mode.

Would have been better to have a "the ship will self destruct in t-minus 1 minute..." warning like in Alien. 

Bob Riot 

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

July 17th, 2020 04:00

Cool! You fixed your own issue. The yellow flashing lights indicated a BIOS Jumper pin has been activated.

No Events found!