Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

9 Posts

October 16th, 2018 22:00

Aurora-R7, 100% hard drive activity

Recently I have been having a very slow windows start. the hard drive activity (C:) goes up to 100%, sometimes for 5 or 10 minutes from Windows load (including before I actually log in, just from log screen onward). The PC becomes unresponsive or slow and stuff loads at snail pace, after about 20 minutes, everything loads and it is usable, but 100% on drive C: can continue or spike. Is this an Optane issue? How would one go about checking what may cause it?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 17th, 2018 09:00

What exact Alienware model and what version of Windows?

I don't think there is one particular thing that causes this, and it's not particularly easy to troubleshoot or fix. Are you sure you are "up to it"?

What has happened to this computer lately?

Have you thoroughly checked it for viruses?

October 18th, 2018 10:00

Hi,

it is an Aurora R7

Memory: 16 GB

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz[Cores 6] [Logical/Core 2]

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 1803

Intel Optane size 1,907,726 MB

Virus checked and triple virus checked :-) by Avast Premium

Other than the updates that have been pushed by MS for Windows nothing else (besides the F6 driver mentioned below) has been installed.

Interestingly, these two are the latest changes, the F6 driver seems to have failed and I cant find any record of it having been installed correctly, I installed them manually yesterday but the issue still persists.

Support Assist Client

Drivers & Downloads Installed (Manual) - September 23, 2018 6:47:57 AM

- Alienware Aurora R7 System BIOS - 1.0.16 - 7 MB - Urgent - Installed

Drivers & Downloads Installed (Manual) - September 4, 2018 7:10:17 AM Restore System

- Intel Rapid Storage Technology F6 Driver - A03 - 27 MB - Recommended - Install Error

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 18th, 2018 12:00

@AntonioAcunar wrote:

Drivers & Downloads Installed (Manual) - September 4, 2018 7:10:17 AM Restore System

- Intel Rapid Storage Technology F6 Driver - A03 - 27 MB - Recommended - Install Error

The Intel-RST F6-Driver is not for installation into Windows. That is used only when installing Windows fresh (and then, only in certain cases).

I suggest you get into a habit of ignoring Support-ASSist ... or uninstall it.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 18th, 2018 12:00

@AntonioAcunar wrote:

Aurora R7 : 16 GB, i7-8700 
Microsoft Windows 10 Home 1803
Intel Optane size 1,907,726 MB

Virus checked and triple virus checked :-) by Avast Premium

Good, but could be Avast.

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2761279/avast-100-disk-space.html

In your Task-Manager, what is using 100% Disk ?

October 31st, 2018 23:00

Yes, for quite a few minutes after login into desktop as well.  Many times while booting up and just before the login scree appears, I get the windows blue, with the circle of chasing dots and 'please wait', then after a minute or so (sometimes a bit longer) login page.

Also, on the Dell update app, I get 'Intel Rapid Storage Technology F6 Driver' which always fail to update. 

November 1st, 2018 15:00

Don't update via support assist. If you feel the update is necessary(usually isn't for the most part), manually track it down from the Dell site and download/install from there.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 1st, 2018 21:00

@AntonioAcunar wrote:

1. Yes, for quite a few minutes after login into desktop as well.  Many times while booting up and just before the login scree appears, I get the windows blue, with the circle of chasing dots and 'please wait', then after a minute or so (sometimes a bit longer) login page.

2. Also, on the Dell update app, I get 'Intel Rapid Storage Technology F6 Driver' which always fail to update. 

1. Those are updates installing. Yes, over the years, I have seen a few systems fall into this hole where it's always installing "staged" updates on ever boot (but likely only partially). 

Pretty sure there was a thread about it. To fix it, either wait for a fixed KB-Update or fully apply a major update (like 1803).

2. Either you are not reading my whole post, or your reading comprehension is poor.

November 2nd, 2018 00:00

Or maybe I read your post , my reading comprehension is fine and I just felt like stating the problem again...how about that?

No Events found!