Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

R

21 Posts

September 18th, 2022 10:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

AW3423DW, does not wake from standby

I received my AW3423DW less than a month ago and seem to be having an issue where the AW3423DW goes into standby, then I cannot wake it unless I unplug it, let it sit for a few seconds, then plug it back in. I am also aware which button is the power button and which is the menu button. I have searched the forums and online for this issue and usually it seems that people mistake the menu button for the power button. Suffice to say, when the power button doesn't work, the menu button doesn't either.

The occurrence is random, and not related to the pixel refresh cycle. I know that is happening when I see a breathing green light, though the pixel refresh appears to happen quite often and with what seems a greater frequency than 4 hours use time. I've seen the pixel refresh happen 2 times in a row within 20 minutes of each other and the first was allowed to complete before I used the AW3423DW again.

When the AW3423DW doesn't wake, sometimes the power light will be on purple (which is the color I set it to while on), sometimes the power light will be off (which I set it to when the AW3423DW is off), and sometimes it will just be stuck a random color, of which I have seen pink or teal. When any of these is happening, the power button is unresponsive. No amount of pressing it will make the AW3423DW turn back on. I have tried holding it for quite a while with no result. Moving my mouse or hitting a key will not wake it. The only way to get it to work again is to unplug, wait, plug back in.

I had a similar issue with my last monitor, a Dell S3220DGF. That monitor also would go into sleep mode, but the backlight would stay on displaying a black screen which is very possibly what's happening with the AW3423DW, there's just no backlight so the screen appears black but is still on. No amount of messing with the power button would wake it. I would need to unplug it then plug it back in and it would work fine. The occurrence was random with that monitor as well.

I have tried updating power settings in both the Command Center, as well as in Windows. I have tried updating my drivers using the ones on the Dell website as well as letting Windows find what it believes is the best driver. I have tried different ports on my video card. I am using the supplied DisplayPort cable that came with the AW3423DW plugged into an EVGA 3080 FTW3 and my AW3423DW firmware is M0B102. I do not believe the video card is the issue as I've had the same issue on an EVGA 1080ti SC2. I am currently using Windows 11 but the issue happened using Windows 10 as well.

Any help on this would be appreciated. I am worried this issue will get worse until it just no longer turns back on.

64 Posts

December 27th, 2022 03:00

I am back at my brother in laws house for a few days and yesterday he explained to me that his AW3420DW still has the same issue, not waking up from sleep.

We tried to disable the ultra low power state (ULPS) of his amd 6800 XT drivers via registry,
at first it seemed to work but after letting the Aurora R13 idle for 4-5 hours the porblem reoccured.

Today i will try to check if AWCC is causing this and report back.

December 30th, 2022 23:00

Chiming in here, unfortunately not to contribute a solution but just to confirm the existence of this issue.

Bought my AW3423DW earlier this year like June 2022, have not encountered this issue at all, only started happening lately and it seems this has been happening in increasing frequency.

Same exact symptom as OP. Normally when the monitor is on standby, you would see a loop of dimming white led in the power button. When this issue / bug occurs, the led color will be stuck to a color (as opposed to flashing white color), last when it happened it was stuck on purple color. Once this issue happens, the monitor is 100% unresponsive, joystick/powerbutton/replugging display cable/long press power button, everything doesn't work. The only workaround is to turn it off and on again then it would behave normally.

Dell please fix thanks.

January 1st, 2023 03:00

Reporting back in, it seems uninstalling AWCC and Alienware related software does not solve it for me as it just happened to me again. And it seems that the color will not always be stuck when this happens, just happened to me where the monitor froze and it's flashing white.

The only fix for me so far is to make sure to turn off the monitor (as opposed to letting it on stand by where it may get stuck).

January 10th, 2023 12:00

I don't have AWCC installed and I have never had it installed. It still happens on mine. Firmware MOB102.

This issue never seems to happen when it is connected to my Macbook, but happens daily when connected to Windows 11 desktop. I'm not 100% sure, because I'm on my Mac less frequently.

I've actually had the issue happen when I switched from my Macbook (HDMI input) to my Windows desktop (DP) and the Windows was already turned on. I was simply switching from the HDMI port to the DP port. The screen just went completely black and none of the buttons worked. The same symptoms as the failure to wake. I had to unplug it for 30 seconds and plug it back in.

I'd be curious if this problem is happening to people that are using a Mac.

My current thinking is that it is either the display port itself, windows OS, or windows 11 specifically (I never had the issue before upgrading from W10 to W11).

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

January 10th, 2023 13:00

Could be a Windows 11 issue. Typically when users report random issues like this you would look for a common factor.

Common factor could be Windows 11.

1 Message

January 11th, 2023 14:00

Encountering this on Windows 10, so can confirm its not a Windows 11 issue.

1 Message

January 12th, 2023 00:00

Just experienced this on mine today, purchased in august 2022.. using windows 11. The fk!?

64 Posts

January 13th, 2023 02:00

jesus dell...

21 Posts

January 13th, 2023 07:00

I also have this issue, and it has nothing to do with software installed on your PC. This has happened many times when restarting my PC. No matter how it does in standby, it's just a roll of the dice.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 13th, 2023 08:00

It may be related to time in service.  I only run my monitor part time.  If I were using it normally, since I got mine in August, it might start doing the same thing.

January 13th, 2023 10:00

I just wanted to do a follow-up. This finally happened for the first time when switching from DP on my Windows 11 Desktop to HDMI2 on my Macbook.

In my situation, I can rule out the connection type, cables, software, and operating system.

It is most definitely something with the monitor itself.

21 Posts

January 13th, 2023 11:00

Some guy on Reddit got a new monitor from Dell, and it happened to him again.

January 17th, 2023 18:00

Hi, first entry in this thread.

I have the AW3423DWF model with the M3B102 FW on windows 10 Desktop connected to 4090 GPU.

About 5 weeks ownership and have now had 2 occurences in 2 days of monitor not displaying image.
I don't want to add red herrings so please read my methods and how I am diagnosing. I'll need some feedback to know if I am in the same boat as you all or having a different issue presenting similarly.

I have additional info to those running 1 monitor:

1. Monitor is still "detected" by windows because my 2nd monitor is still displaying only it's part of the desktop - not all of it as happens if primary display is OFF.

2. I don't power off - I simply removed the DP cable and plugged it back in. I then get an image up. 

Cable is the same as what I was using with previous display which actually required more bandwidth. 

I will continue monitoring with the details of others here in mind and reply back if I see it again. 

Can anyone else confirm my issue is the same by trying the DP cable or having a second display and seeing if the PC sees the AW monitor as off vs not showing image? 

I took the steps I did as I had moved my monitor arm around and thought tension may have disturbed the DP connection. That's corrected... so I'm now in watch and wait mode.

21 Posts

January 18th, 2023 03:00

In my case, it depends whether it locked up while the pc was turning on or whether it's already on. If it locks while turning on, it won't be recognized. If it locks while it's already on, it will stay connected for about 5 minutes, then my second desktop will turn to my primary and the AW will drop. I believe everyone in this thread at this point has tried the same troubleshooting steps which includes cables, drivers, windows updates, to no avail and unfortunately you're now part of the club.

Also an update, 3 days ago my monitor went into pixel refresh for over 2 hours. I let it sit with a breathing green light to see if it was the panel refresh which should take about an hour. I eventually got tired of waiting and pulled the plug.

I still haven't figured out what causes it, but I really feel it's related to resolution changes or switching to and from HDR.

10 Posts

January 21st, 2023 17:00

Hi everyone, I am  having a very similiar issue and need help

My aw3423dw will show no image on the screen after I wake up my PC from sleep, perform a restart or enable HDR. If I plug a second monitor in I can see windows and I bring up device manager and see the aw3423dwnia missing and is no longer communicating with the PC. 

when the monitor does this, the LED power lights turns blue and stays blue -  the joystick and the power button do nothing, when the monitor stops showing an image I can press or hold in the joystick button or power button a million times and nothing happens. The only way to get the monitor to work again is to rip the power cord out for 10 seconds and plug it back on and then the monitor works again.. until I enable HDR or put the PC to sleep then it stops working again

what can I do? I've had the aw3423dw since August 2022 and this issue only started occurring 3 weeks ago after the monitor did its first 1hr long panel refresh 

No Events found!