Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

G

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

January 11th, 2019 12:00

AWCC, WMI Background Service uses 8% CPU?

I have a new custom built PC but I own all Alienware peripherals like monitor, keyboard and mouse.  The AWCC or Command Center has a background service thats eating up CPU usage like not normal.  It also cause WMI Provider Host to use alot also for a total of lik 16-19% of CPU usage on idle.  I can restart WMI or open Alienware Command Center which is Control Center also.  I am using the Windows 10 store apps and I have tried to reinstall and dcim image clean up and sfc /scannow.  Nothings fixing it.  I have it uninstalled now..  But every boot up until I open the app once or manually restart the services in question I get 18% CPU usage during system idle which is not normal.  

Please help if you can.  Id greatly appreciate any advice.   I do not think I can use the apps manually from Dell because I no longer have Alienware motherboard as I just built a custom PC.  I love the Alienware keyboard, mouse and monitor.  I just cant figure this out.  I tried everything.  Anyone Please help.  I think it has something to do with the Microsoft store versions and Windows 10 but I dont know much for than this to fix it.  I need AWCC to control my monitor rgb and keyboard rgb plus macros and the mouse macros and all settings..  

1 Message

January 14th, 2019 05:00

I have exactly the same problem as you, except i am also using an Alienware Desktop computer (Aurora R8). For the last few weeks I was pulling my hair out trying figure what was causing extremely high CPU usage ... sometimes WMI Provider Host would occupy upto 40% ... In the end I uninstalled apps 1 by one and it seems that Alienware Command Centre was the culprit. 

Its a shame I can't use the software that came with the PC but I much prefer my idle CPU usage at it's current 2% compared to 40% when i wasnt even running any applications.

January 16th, 2019 17:00

I have the same problem as well. I have a new Alienware 17 R5 laptop and I'm also using an alienware monitor and it's causing my cpu to overheat like crazy. I have to restart WMI every time I restart the pc. 

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

January 17th, 2019 09:00

I’m glad to see that it’s not just me or my PC build.  I’m actually sorry but at least I know it’s not just me.  I am using the windows store apps not dells programs to be clear.  I don’t know what else to do.  I am considering buying new mouse and keyboard but I absolutely love my Alienware gear and I love the app interface and options. I am already running corsair icue for my power supply and fans etc so I might just be forced to buy new peripherals because I have to be able to set macros and color themes and such.  Do you guys think that dell or Microsoft will update or fix this issue? I wonder if it’s always been like this?  Back when I had my Alienware I mean.  icue app from Corsair also used a lot of cpu but a  clean reinstall fixed the wmi host provider issue.  I tried to do this for alien command center but it just keeps using 8% cpu.

209 Posts

January 17th, 2019 11:00

morning, I'm a homespun computer nerd. I have some purely 'eyes on' info about awcc, and windows. Take it for what it is worth.  I have noticed that if you have used the awcc to make changes to any OC m or if your cpu/possibly memory is included with any'saved profile', that at startup,  the awcc app must connect to the web and it installs some sort of 'timestamped' or secure(fresh) communication with your PC.  Its appearance is that of an app or a Patch to your app.  I see it do it, and until you have accessed the command center it just stays there.

This is probably what you see/experience  at startup.  :catlol:   Lessen the impact of this.. use awcc to determine your stable parameters and if possible make entries to the bios. Then your settings are default. Seems to have done this in my case.

5 Posts

March 31st, 2020 17:00

I have Alienware 17R5 and I always have had to stop the AWCC service because of this issue. 

It seems the update I received today (Version: 5.2.81.0 ,A00 Last Updated Date: 26 Mar 2020) finally fixed this issue. Not sure why though, as it is not listed as one of the fixes:

Fixes & Enhancements

Fixes
- Fixed Alienware Command Center truncating some device names.
- Fixed in Fusion tab the power drop down box would show blank power plan.
- Fixed no error message shown when shortcut macro has its target file deleted or moved.
- Fixed repeatedly and quickly clicking on FX tab cause Alienware Command Center to close.
- Fixed wording for Active System Theme on G-Series systems.
- Fixed Alienware Sound Center produced static noise from internal speakers when unplugging USB headset

Enhancements
- Added programmable macro functionality to all buttons on AW310M, AW510M, and AW610M mice.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

33 Posts

July 20th, 2022 21:00

Hi, I got the same issue after the latest AWCC update done yesterday in my m15 R3. For some reason that new version cause the WMI service to keep running in around 8% or more of the CPU usage, keeping the CPU busy and hence increasing the temp even when the system is idle.

I tried with restarting the service, but even though it fixed the issue, it crashed the AWCC and made me lost my OC Profiles. And if I restart the computer, the problem returns. So basically I decided to not have a hard time with it and used Windows System Restored and restored the OS to a restoration point on July 18, 2022. Issue resolved. The system went back to when the update was not done and I just reinstalled Chrome (it gets affected by System Restores) and some drivers that were installed when I installed the AWCC update.

So definitely there is something buggy in the latest AWCC update, I will keep using the previous version for now. 

Hope the solution presented helps. 

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

August 14th, 2022 05:00

Hi,

Same problem here. I installed the 5.5.9 version AWCC version and add constant WMI issue (mouse showing the loading blue circle as when something running background)

Uninstalled and tried back to 5.5.8. Same issue.

Went back to the last version  I knew was working 5.4.35 + OC control 1.3.68.1380. (As of 5.5.0 it seems OC control is included)

I noted that when deactivating dell display001vcpsrv via msconfig makes it work without issue (but I want something that runs without me interfering, so went back to 5.4.35 ) 

Plus, it isn't installed with 5.4.35, so I suspect the issue coming from this one. 

Hope the additional info will help  

No Events found!