Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

February 22nd, 2018 20:00

Alienware Aurora CPU upgrade from I5-7400 to I7-7700K

I'm far from knowing exactly what I'm doing when it comes to upgrading a computer, though I enjoy playing newer games and the CPU I have currently stays at 100% a lot of the time. I'm going to be getting a new CPU but I don't quite know how to make sure it's compatible before hand, or any software things I should deal with before installing it. So far I've changed the graphics card and the ram, which were both new experiences for me but seem to have worked just fine. I'm a bit afraid about this one though because I've heard that this can be a very bad thing to handle if you don't know what you're doing. I have a photo of the current specs right here: Capture.PNG

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2018 13:00

Well, the maxing out I figured out by monitoring the usage in task manager while games are open and active. The computer slows down quite alot while certain games are open, or sometimes even just having chrome open drives it up to 80-90+. And would this work for seeing the specs? https://www.dell.com/community/image/serverpage/image-id/784i850F56EC3990A2AD/image-dimensions/1000?v=1.0&px=-1

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 23rd, 2018 13:00

@Misty0 wrote:

1. I'm far from knowing exactly what I'm doing when it comes to upgrading a computer, though I enjoy playing newer games and ... I'm going to be getting a new CPU but I don't quite know how to make sure it's compatible before hand, or any software things I should deal with before installing it.

2. the CPU I have currently stays at 100% a lot of the time.

3. So far I've changed the graphics card and the ram, which were both new experiences for me but seem to have worked just fine.

4. I'm a bit afraid about this one though because I've heard that this can be a very bad thing to handle if you don't know what you're doing.

5. I have a photo of the current specs right here: 

1. Swapping a processor is Advanced or hard. Pretty easy to blow-up or kill something (like motherboard).

2. What makes you say that? How did you come to this conclusion?

3. Yeah, those are "Easy" compared to CPU-swap.

4. Rightfully so. Obviously, you would have to stick to exact processor models that originally shipped with that Aurora model (as they came from Dell as options). But even then, some users (even those with advanced skills) have reportedly run into problems and motherboard "would not take it" and work properly afterwards.

5. Yeah, pics don't work in this new forum yet. You can see your posted pics, but no-one else can (not even me). 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 23rd, 2018 21:00

@Misty0 wrote:
1. Well, the maxing out I figured out by monitoring the usage in task manager while games are open and active.

2. The computer slows down quite alot while certain games are open, or sometimes even just having chrome open drives it up to 80-90+.

3. And would this work for seeing the specs? https://www.dell.com/community/image/serverpage/image-id/784i850F56EC3990A2AD/image-dimensions/1000?v=1.0&px=-1

1. I think that just means that out of 100%, the main game or App is using 90% of the computer's resources (which is what you want). Are you looking at Processes or Performance ?

2. Well, yeah. When a machine actually has a job to do, it can slow-down a bit getting it done.

3. No, still just see a triangle.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 23rd, 2018 21:00

No Events found!