Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

January 28th, 2018 02:00

Alienware Aurora hardware brands

Hi!

I would like to buy a custom Alienware aurora R7.

I was considering to buy is the following custom setup:

Alienware Aurora R7 with

i7-8700K

GTX 1080ti

16 GB RAM

Liquid cooling case

512 GB PCIe SSD (startdisc) + 2 TB SATA-disc 7 200 v/min 6 Gbit/s

I understand how I change the various hardware pieces when assembling the PC on the website, however, I have not found information about which brand the specific pieces have.

It would be great to know the brand of

- the 16 / 32 GB RAM

- the 1080ti GTX VGA

- the brand of the possible HDDs

- the brand of the possible SSDs

- the brand of the cooling system in the chassis which is needed and recommended for the i7-8700K

- the brand and name of the motherboard (I havent seen it anywhere)

I mean, for example, is the VGA brand MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS, EVGA, Aorus, Zotac, etc.?

If I check their prices on the internet, there are considerable differences, and as far as I know there are similar differences in quality. There are many no-name low quality products as well.

I would be buying from the Swedish Dell - Alienware site, since I live in Sweden.

Another question is, are the brands of the various hardware the same regardless of the country, or can they actually be different if I live in the US and buy from there, or live in Sweden and buy from there?

I will try to call the telephone number on the Swedish site tomorrow, it will be Monday then. But I am eager to know these things, so I wanted to ask here as well.

Sorry if I just missed something, and the info I asked about is right in front of me somewhere, but I couldnt find it.

Thank you for the replies in advance!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 28th, 2018 03:00

Can't really answer your questions.  Dell uses a combination of parts, some custom OEM and some "standard" OEM. e.g. motherboards are almost always a custom Dell motherboard.  Power supplies are ususally custom Dell, etc. Cases are always custom Dell.  Fans are almost always Dell labeled.  

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 29th, 2018 22:00

Fireberd is correct.

However, this is Alienware, so the components are high-quality on the whole.

Hard to say what you will get (unless it is specified in line item) especially since you are in different country. This is what I got last year:

Alienware Aurora (R6)
Intel i7-7700k 4.2ghz (Kaby Lake)
Pegatron (OEM) MB with Intel z270 Chipset and VRM Heatsink
Asetek-OEM Liquid Cooling
16gb DDR4 Kingston Hyper-X Fury 2667mhz Ram (Dual-Channel)
850w Power Supply (now N1WJD Delta-sourced model)
Nvidia GTX-1070 OEM (8gb) PCIe back-blower (MSI-OEM)
Samsung PM-961 512gb SSD (M.2 PCIe NVMe)
Toshiba 1tb 3.5in 7200rpm HDD & DVD Burner (laptop style)
Killer Networks e2400 Gigabit Ethernet RJ-45 (MB built-in)
Intel 3165 802.11ac Wi-Fi & Bluetooth v4.2 (mini-PCIe card)
Dell 27" u2717D UltraSharp Infinity-Edge IPS 16:9 QHD Monitor
Dell AE415 2.1 Speakers
Standard Alienware USB-Wired Keyboard and Mouse
Windows-10 Pro (64-bit)

74 Posts

February 18th, 2018 22:00

I can answer some questions relating to my R7-8700K, new in November.

1080 ti card is an MSI Aero without the logo.  The motherboard is a Pegatron, supposedly a subsidiary of Asus, not known much here.  The ram is Kingston Fury, but my 2933 speed was not for sale except as Dell brand, and has been unavailable from them for some time; buy what you want to start with, and tell them you want it as a pair of DIMM's, not one (serious speed hit).  I've heard the PCIe NVMe m.2 ssd's are Hynix, but not sure.  I just read that the cooler is an Asetek 95 watt rated w/240mm fan.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 19th, 2018 10:00

@hrgreen wrote:

I can answer some questions relating to my R7-8700K, new in November.

1080 ti card is an MSI Aero without the logo.  The motherboard is a Pegatron, supposedly a subsidiary of Asus, not known much here.  The ram is Kingston Fury, but my 2933 speed was not for sale except as Dell brand, and has been unavailable from them for some time; buy what you want to start with, and tell them you want it as a pair of DIMM's, not one (serious speed hit).  I've heard the PCIe NVMe m.2 ssd's are Hynix, but not sure.  I just read that the cooler is an Asetek 95 watt rated w/240mm fan.

All that looks correct (according to my limited knowledge and forum posts by others).

I got a Samsung PM-961 512gb SSD (M.2 PCIe NVMe) in my Aurora-R6 last year. However, I've read they install various brands sometimes so it might be a bit of a lottery.

The standard or stock-clocked memory can be various brands, but fine.

Power-Supplies are currently HuntKey or Delta (I think better, but again, a lottery). As long as it works, you are good.

All this is subject to change, and might have since my last-year's purchase (but for most of it, I kinda doubt it). :Smile:

No Events found!